5.0 out of 5 stars Does exactly what it says on the tin
I have been looking at different cables to connect my iPad to my Bose Sounddock II, there are lots of stories on the net stating it is possible and that it isnt, I took a punt on this cable and can confirm I can use it to connect the iPad to the Sounddock, it does charge the iPad and I have full control (using the remote) of music playing from the iPad.

*thumbs...
Published on 19 Jan. 2011 by WookieTramp

1.0 out of 5 stars Product does not work
This is the second dock extender I've attempted to buy off Amazon. The first one went in the bin (it was only £3) This one is being returned.

Published on 26 July 2011 by Nefer

5.0 out of 5 stars Does exactly what it says on the tin, 19 Jan. 2011
This review is from: Proxima® Black Dock Extension Cable for iPhone 4 3GS 3G iPod Touch iPad -- Support Audio Video Signal, Sync Charger -- with 17 Core not the slim 4 core version (Electronics)

4.0 out of 5 stars Not compatible with VW ipod Dock, 5 Feb. 2011
Capt Khan "raykhan" (london uk) - See all my reviews
The product works as described on speakers and docks running on domestic voltage, but be aware that it is not compatible with VW ipod dock Proxima's customer service is fantastic

5.0 out of 5 stars For VW Golf iPod dock extension, 26 Jun. 2011
I ordered the cable to extend the iPod dock in the armrest of my 2008 VW Golf and it works perfectly.

I've used both my iPod Touch 1st Gen and iPhone 4 and both work the same.

I wanted something that made it easier to get to the iPod to change the album - the VW iPod connector in the armrest is a small slot that you push the iPod into and unless you have the top of the range head unit with the VW MDI connection, you can't control the iPod remotely (other than next / prev track)

The iPod still says "Accessory Connected" and won't allow me to change albums unless I disconnect it, make my choice, then re-connect it, but this is not a fault of the cable - more a bug of the iPod software.

Once on the album or playlist I want, I can use the head unit (RCD 300) to change track.

I hope this is of help to other VW owners looking for a similar fix!

1.0 out of 5 stars Product does not work, 26 July 2011

All I want is a dock extender for my iPad 2 that will play audio and charge. According to the description of this dock extender cable it should do that, however sadly it does not. It does charge, however it does not transmit sound (unless I just received a faulty unit). However, given this is my second (and last) attempt at purchasing the correct cable off Amazon, I've had enough, hence this review.

When connected to the iPad and play music, it does nothing. When connected to the iPhone it first says accessory not optimised for this device and again does nothing.

If you want a product that transmits audio and video, this is not it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good value, high quality, but VGA adapter will not work., 11 Jun. 2011
A Cactus "Andy Cactus" (NW UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Cable is black and a metre long reassuringly thick which implies most, if not all, pins are connected. Build quality is holding up after a months light usage.

I have used it to link an iPad2 to devices where an iPhone or ipodTouch form factor is assumed eg. a Gear4 alarm clock which was designed for use with a recent iPod touch or iPhone (which you load an App on the phone to set the clock up). Well I don't have such a beast and setting up via the limited clock buttons was a pain after multiple brown outs. However loading the App onto my iPad2 and using this extension cable works a treat. Clock reset, alarm reset and FM station restoration happens as if I had an iPhone.

I have also used it to extend my usb dock cable to sync to my Mac with success. Charging also seems to work both via the computer and to the iPad power adapter.

I have found one disappointment which may scupper some peoples planed usage. You cannot use this extension cable in conjunction with Apple's VGA dock adapter with iPad2 ie iPad <--dock extension--> <--VGA adapter --> <vga to projector--> where you may want to to 'extend' the reach of a venue provided VGA cable (which tend to be heavy and stiff) when you want to make a Keynote presentation for example. The iPad fails to detect the VGA adapter with the dock extension cable in place. In one experiment the iPad reported that this accessory was not suported. Eliminating the extension cable and plugging the VGA adapter directly always worked though. This may not be a fault with a the cable but the technical way Apple 'detects' the presence of the VGA adapter, probably with a precise voltage drop circuit across a couple of pins for a particular dock adapter (eg VGA or HDMI or DVI etc). The extra meter of copper may just case the voltage drop to be out of spec. Someone may wish to confirm how this works. Maybe the VGA adapter draws power and the dock extender interferes or one of the pins is not connected. I do not know.

Otherwise a useful cable to carry in your kit.

1.0 out of 5 stars It broke after very little use, and oh the misery of it all!, 1 Dec. 2012
I bought this cable to dock my iphone4S into a Bose station, mainly because I was fed up of taking the case off my iphone to do so - it's a fiddly little business. Also, it meant I could use my ipad too via this method. Anyhow, it worked fine for a short while, but then the black square on the bit you dock fell off exposing all the circuitry etc. As it wasn't expensive I didn't return it - it's gone to land fill, where it will break down over hundreds of years, long after we're all gone. Oh the misery...

5.0 out of 5 stars Works fine for extending BMW Ipod cable, 14 Feb. 2011
Bought this cable to extend the ipod interface cable in my bmw and it works fine.

Charges and conveys music perfectly.

3.0 out of 5 stars Expected more, 12 Feb. 2011
First thing I tried this with was an iPod Touch 2G, and used the cable as an extension from the normal apple cable. As soon as I plugged it in the screen on my iPod turned white and froze. Had to restart and try again, same thing.

Next I tried my iPhone 4, and it seemed to work good to charge. Have not tried to Sync yet.

Finally, I plugged my iPad into my Docking station using the cable. The sound and controls work good through the cable, but it doesn't charge the iPad although I think that may be to do with the power of the dock.

I've come to the conclusion that it works best for New iGadgets and not so good for older ones. Still a good buy though!

5.0 out of 5 stars This one works, 25 Jan. 2011
L. Hall (Cornwall, England) - See all my reviews
I had previously purchased 3 other leads from different sources to connect my Ipod touch 2G which sits in a new Ottorbox defender case and my Sony clock radio all of these leads would only act as extension cables between the Ipod and the Apple usb lead connected to my computer. None of them would make any sort of connection to my Sony dock all be it charging or audio. I purchased this lead as a last option. IT WORKS I get charging and audio. I am so impressed and relieved!

5.0 out of 5 stars Worked for me where others didn't., 24 July 2012
Russ Bubley "Bubz" (London) - See all my reviews
I was looking to use this in my VW car, to extend the lead: RCD 310 Head unit -> MDI Interface -> iPhone plug -> [EXTENSION CABLE] -> iPhone 4S. This cable worked completely for this use.