on 29 May 2012
I've had this mouse just a few days, so long-term reliability is an unknown. It may seem harsh giving only 3 stars to a device that hasn't really done anything wrong yet, but if you're spending £40 on a mouse I think you have every right to be demanding, and the Kova+ is a bit of mixed bag.

To reiterate the points that others have made-

* This mouse is quite small, in particular being very slim left-to-right and extremely light. If you have average size hands, for a man, you are definitely going to need to use a fingertip control "claw grip", this is not a big mouse to slide your whole hand+arm around on.

* Yes it's very pretty. With the matt black finish and angular lines it looks very sexy (to the extent a mouse can look "sexy"). With the correct dark blue illumination selected to match my new keyboard in the half-dark it looks great.

Having said that, I suspect most users over about 12 years old will find the more OTT visual effects like "pulsing" or colour-changing lights to be just a little silly and turn them off in the driver after 5 minutes of experimenting.

* The side buttons are pretty stiff (hard to click). Unless the two smallest fingers on your hand are as strong and mobile as a monkey's arm you should really consider this an "ambidextrous 5 button" mouse not a "7 button" mouse.

Also the "button shift" feature can only be assigned to either of the the rearmost side buttons, so if you want to use that it costs you another one of your 5 usable buttons.

* Having said that I use the mouse in my left hand so i'm really keen to see manufacturers continue to support us "lefties".

Further comments-

+ The control software is actually pretty powerful, and so far I have found it to be reasonably easy to use and quite reliable (on Windows 7 Pro 64 bit). Given the awful state of a lot of PC peripheral driver software (yes I mean you Corsair Vengeance drivers...) this is a big plus.

- Similar to the stiff side buttons, the centre wheel click is also much stiffer than the main L/R buttons and this does detract from the cohesive, quality feel of the device.

NOTE-

* With the driver/firmware version I currently have (v1.25/v1.17) I discovered that if you set the mouse polling rate to anything below the default of 1000Hx the mouse wheel starts missing or skipping up/down rolling events, to the point that if you select to poll at the minimum 125Hz the wheel basically stops working!

It appears this is a known bug, so it means you really can't use this feature and have to run at the max polling rate all the time. Hopefully a firmware upgrade will cure this at some point.

* When I raised this problem with Roccat support I got an email back with the answer the following day. A lot of companies selling to end users / consumers have little or no support so all credit to Roccat for responding quickly and efficiently.

Overall-

You get the feeling a lot of what you're paying for with this mouse is the style and the software, plus a sensor and about 4oz of plastic. You get quite a bit of capability for your money, but it's lightweight and doesn't feel very solid or robust. The inconsistent weighting of the various buttons is definately a downside for me, it makes this "high end" mouse feel in some ways inferior to a 5 year old Generic Microsoft or Logitech wired mouse, even if the sensor has better performance.
on 18 November 2014
Do not buy this product!!!!
This is mouse is make from cheap components.
Mouse after one year ---> see picture attach.
review image review image review image review image review image
on 5 September 2013
This mouse lasted around two years before the side panels started leaking glue and falling apart. The same thing happened to friend who owned the same mouse!

This is very disappointing as it is a very good mouse with lots of features, however I won't be buying another Roccat mouse again.
Avoid.
44 comments| 7 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 4 January 2012
I've had my trusty Logitech G5 for about 4 years now and I felt it was time for a change. After hours of research I finally ended up choosing the Kova[+] despite it being £10 above my budget.

For me it was the combination of two factors that made me overcome my budget. Firstly, it's the most beautiful mouse I've seen! Secondly, I really liked the idea of the EasyShift feature (the thumb button acts as a shift for the other mouse buttons) which is very customisable. However, at least to my knowledge, EasyShift cannot be used in conjunction with a keyboard, which is a shame considering the massive amount of potential new keybindings.

When my Kova came in the post and I unpacked it, the first thing I noticed was how it was smaller than I expected. Maybe I'm just used to the tall and somewhat bulky G5 or my hands are quite large, but I still felt it was a bit dainty. Although I'm now used to its size, my thumb and pinky are touching my table most of the time, especially the latter which feels like it doesn't have enough space to rest on the actual mouse. Again, I won't criticise the mouse too much for this as I do have relatively big hands.

The driver for the mouse (which is also on a disc included with the product) was quick and easy to install. I was positively surprised by the software which displays very clearly what options there are. Creating profiles is effortless and you can make a profile switch on when an .exe file of your choice is booted. So now I don't have to manually choose profiles when I want to play, say, Battlefield 3.

The software is not perfect, though. Getting your mouse sensivity just right can be a bit tough, as the sliders are from 1-10 and you can only choose 10 options, so no 3.433 etc to get your sensivity just right. Perhaps I'm just a bit pedantic, but I feel with a high DPI mouse such as this, it would be necessary to have more customisable sensitivities.

Another gripe I have, which is not major but still can be a bit of a nuisance, is that some of the buttons are a tad stiff considering where they are. I understand they're stiffer to avoid accidental clicking, but when my mouse inadvertantly twitches when I have to move my hand in such a position to effectively click the middle button and the second thumb button (the one further away from you), it can become problematic in an FPS for example.

However, how one uses a mouse is very specific to the person using it so my critique may not be applicable to all. If you tend to have a tight grip of your mouse instead of a loose one like me and you have big hands, you might find it frustrating at times. I don't though, as the Roccat Kova[+] is a fantastic mouse; very customisable, beautiful to look at, lovely to hold (has a velvety feel to it) and it slides on my wooden desktop with effortless elegance!

Thank you Roccat!
on 8 March 2016
Purchased this mouse in December of 2013. I see there's a good amount of people complaining about it, mainly because of some kind of glue dripping out of it. I guess I was one of the lucky ones, since I have never had a single problem with this mouse over these 2 years. Not a single problem. I know, there are countless mice out there now that look much prettier than this one, but if your mind is set on this, I'd say go with it.
on 25 December 2012
Best mouse ever? Whatever. That's probably what you're thinking, and you'd be right to. But please, let me explain. I'm a left handed gamer and this mouse works for lefties and right-handed people too. Not only that, but it's by far the most comfortable mouse I've ever used. It moves along any surface with such a gentle glide, it's like comparing an expensive shaver to shave rather to a cheap plastic razer. (no pun intended razer-mouse fans!)

The fact you can change lighting (breathing) sequences and DPI and even configure custom buttons just makes this mouse so much more appealing. Mine has just gone faulty after 3 years of heavy usage. As soon as I get some spare cash I'll be buying another. I hope my next one lasts more than 3 years because this really is a great mouse for everyone.
on 27 December 2014
Not very nice to hold in the hand. Too angular and flat. Scroll wheel is pretty, but awkwardly shaped. The voice acted dpi switch is optional, but hilariously bad.
LEDs are poor, achieving the colours through a very noticeable flicker.
Customization software is lacking in macro options.

It is, at least, sturdy, so as to avoid giving you an excuse to replace it with something nicer to use.
on 15 March 2015
The Roccat Kova + was bought to replace my old original Kova, which still works but the rubber bits were beginning to peel away on it. The Kova+ is nice to touch and has a nice feel to it. The buttons are nice to click, and the programable buttons are good if you are playing a game that requires lots of fast commands.

It is just the right size for my hand. It is a gaming mouse, yes, but not one of those massive ones with an entire numberpad on it. It is an excellent cross between a cheap Tesco mouse and an overly excessive Razer one.

It dropped a star because of the driver. I liked the old Plug and Play feature to the original Kova, but this one comes with an annoying GUI where you can set mouse speed, DPI and change colours and macros. It is a slow piece of software which I'd rather not use.

Excellent hardware itself though!
on 4 November 2015
I've had three of these now. On all three the scroll wheel and wheel click has stopped working. On two the glue in the side panels leaks and gets sticky everywhere. On this third on the wheel is broken, click is broken and now it's also not working consistently. Cursor is jumping around and non smooth. (This is on a Roccat mouse-mat so it's even more irritating having invested in Roccat). Highly recommend you avoid this mouse.
on 29 October 2014
Call me the don. This mouse has done its job well. I just started gaming on PC. I have been a console gamer for years now and this is my first gaming mouse. I love it. Play COD, Assassin Creed, etc on this is great.

The downside for me is that the side buttons are really really hard. You need to really push it hard for it to work and I am scared it might break so I don't use those side buttons anymore.