5.0 out of 5 stars By far her best.
Published on 27 Feb. 2012 by ellee

3.0 out of 5 stars Living Dangerously
Published on 6 May 2010 by S. Geraghty

5.0 out of 5 stars By far her best., 27 Feb. 2012
ellee (Dublin, Ireland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Living Dangerously (Paperback)
I'm amazed at the number of negative reviews here for this book. I've read numerous Katie Fforde books and to me this and Wild Designs are by far her best books. I came to them first and prior to the awful re-packaging they have undergone in recent years which makes them look like your standard repetitive chick lit rubbish. To me her writing deteriorated seriously after this and became much more standard fare. Looking at the reviews, I think if you have read her later books and liked them you are maybe going to find this one a bit slow.

I think most romance writers do their best work early and the pressure of having to continue to churn out books takes its toll on later books when their ideas and excitment just aren't as fresh. Marian Keyes is another whose early books are great and whose later books just don't have the same fizz.

I really enjoyed Living Dangerously and I still re-read my battered penguin copy (no pastels in sight!) with great pleasure from time to time.

5.0 out of 5 stars a lovely book, 26 Jan. 2008
S. HADAVI "sinead" (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Living Dangerously (Paperback)
Polly Cameron thirty something would be potter works as a waitress. She lives amid clutter and cats and normality. She is a lovely character with her oxfam clothes and her genuine kindness especially to drunken teenagers.This is one of Ffordes best novels the characters are well presented even the awfull jolly hockey sticks Melissa whose decor matches her food beige. Polly meets the rather stuffy David Locking-Hill and they are immediately attracted to each other, despite their differences. Polly is in her own way somewhat repressed, and this shows unconsciously in her work as a potter, an encounter with David changes all that and Polly begins to change her style as an artist. An enjoyable read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Eek! Don't be put off by one bad review - read this book!, 20 Aug. 2003
This review is from: Living Dangerously (Paperback)
For some reason, the reviews from earlier editions of this book are not picked up in this section! If you'd take the time to check the earlier editions, you'll see that many readers just love this book. Please don't let one bad review dissuade you from reading this book - it's superb! It's wonderful! It's a modern classic! (OK,OK, that's a bit much - but really, it's just terrific.) Not every book is right for every reader, and obviously the first reviewer of this re-release was not well pleased - to each their own. The main protagonist, Polly, is not perfect - but she's got her reasons, and she really comes out of her shell as the story progresses. I love Fforde's attention to detail - but don't be put off by that, it's not monotonous and pointless. And while Polly isn't perfect - criminy isn't David though?! My absolute favorite Fforde "hero". Can you tell I love this book? Yes I do - and I really think you (or most of you!) will too!

5.0 out of 5 stars Witty, delightful, charming, 10 April 2001
This review is from: Living Dangerously (Paperback)
I have read all of Katie Fforde books and though I love them all and look forward to each one, I think this is still my favourite. Having worked in a wholefood cafe myself the ambience in the kitchen with the preparations makes me feel quite nostalgic. David, the hero, is sexy and gorgeous in a Mr Darcy way and Polly is def Lizzie Bennett. I have read and rearead this book and love it every time. Highly recommended. I am delighted to see from checking this page that she has two more books due out this year. I shall buy them both on date of publication with no hesitation whatsoever

5.0 out of 5 stars Romantic as always, 25 May 2010
This review is from: Living Dangerously (Paperback)
This is my favourite book of Katie Ffordes. I love it!

As I had read "Love Letters" by Katie Fforde I thought it may be a good idea to read her first book, hoping it would be as good.
And it was.
Within this book you got some very romantic scenes which just makes your blood pump. Which I do believe may be the point.
You have David who is rish, a widower and very garded, but knows what he wants. But then there is Polly who is not at all comfortable with herself physically and would love to become a potter, but does not have the money to give up her part time job as a cook.
The love between them grows gradually but this book is not slow like the love between the two characters. It is fast pace with lots of Mischief.
This would either be a good bedtime read or a good outdoor read whilst on a nice weekend holiday.
Who ever said romance was dead.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Phenomenal Fforde, 15 Jun. 2002
This review is from: Living Dangerously (Paperback)
I am a big Katie Fforde fan. I have read all her books and love them all for different reasons but Living Dangerously is my number one favourite. I adore the characters especially the Darcyesque David and I have re-read the book more times that I care to remember. If you only read one Katie Fforde (and I'm sure you'll want to read more), read this one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Katie Fford at her best, 24 Mar. 2004
This review is from: Living Dangerously (Paperback)
if you are just going to read one of Katie Fford's books, choose this one.
A happy formula of thirty-not-stick-insect independant woman, with artistic abilities, finding love.
A book I want to keep, a feel good.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nearest Escape Route, 11 April 2012
Jo D'Arcy (Portsmouth, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Living Dangerously (Paperback)
Polly is resolutely single, certainly no man in her life. Just her, friends, in particular Bridget and her children, her job part time at the local Whole Nut Cafe, her hobby that is more a calling of pottery, and her
ramshackle little home, with enough space for and her cat, Selina.

David is a widower, with no woman in his life. He has his work as a wine merchant, taking him around the area and abroad, two rather differing teenage sons, one away at university, the other, Patrick deciding to take another path in life, a large very clinical house, a mantelpiece full of invitations embossed on posh card and a rather interesting housekeeper.

Polly bumps into Melissa a friend from school who invites her to dinner. Melissa mixes in the social circles that Polly does not, Melissa mixes in David's social circle.

And so the novel really gets going with the most unlikely couple suddenly been thrown into many situations, quite a lot of them with David's son Patrick who seems to be inadvertently pushing them together. Polly is doing everything in the meantime to escape.

And Polly escapes with so much humour and bad luck that it made me cry with laughter and remember all those social situations where you will do almost anything to get out of there. So what if local cats are waiting outside the door for the residents cat who happens to be in season, so what if actually the petrol gauge decides to really tell the truth about how much is left or not left in the account.

A light novel, were you can fall in love with the characters, and hope that they come to their senses. Rather Austenesque with Lizzie and Darcy, with a touch of the Bridget Jones as some reviewers have mentioned but all rather more grown up and with a story that paces along quite nicely. If you also like me love people to hate as well or at least despise them (for here see Melissa!) this book can oblige as well. Some people just need to breakdown with no petrol and the wrong shoes on to know what life is exactly like!!! This book is rounded enough to fulfil a pleasant couple of days and is ideal for a beach read or a curled up on the sofa read.

5.0 out of 5 stars A very funny but sexy read!, 29 Sept. 1999
This review is from: Living Dangerously (Paperback)
At the end of reading this book I felt disappointed that I couldn't carry on knowing these people, or even be Polly myself! A wonderful hotch-potch of humour and tummy tingling passion. Makes you want to take up pottery and wear several layers of tights under your jeans if good-looking men find it so attractive!

3.0 out of 5 stars Living Dangerously, 6 May 2010
S. Geraghty (West Midlands) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Living Dangerously (Paperback)
This definitely isn't one of the best books I have read. It took me quite a long time to finish this book because unlike other books I have read I felt that this plot was quite boring and nothing exciting or interesting seemed to happen. On the back of the book it says that the main character Polly is part of 'Save Our High Street' campaign. However I found that this wasn't mentioned much in the book until towards the end when the hero David "saved the day". Some parts of the book I became quite hooked on but other times in the book I found the characters and their situations quite boring and sometimes pointless. The only other book of Katie Fforde's I have read is Wedding Season and that book was more enjoyable than this, so I recommend reading that instead. I have got a few more of her books to start reading and I just hope they are more entertaining than this one.

Living Dangerously