on 16 May 2010
Still great after all these years. Uncle Quentin makes his usual mistake. The Famous Five save the day.
on 4 June 2014
My husband read this book to my 7yr old son every night, my son loved the book and looked forward to hearing the next adventure, we are now buying a book every couple of weeks so he can read the series.

highly recommended.
on 17 March 2009
This book is about four children and a dog who go to boarding school Anne,Julian and Dick .All are George's cosis Anne's mum . Is ill so Anne,Dick and Julian have to stay with uncle Quentin and aunt Fanny at Kirren cottge next to Kirren island.

Famous Five is amazing because it has beautuful pictures and has lots of good describing words.
on 27 March 2014
I told myself I was buying it for my grandson but as he was only nine months old at the time the honest reason was a trip down memory lane for me. I'm over sixty but I would still like to live in a house by the sea with a boat to take you over to your own island.

Now that I'm an adult, I was a bit concerned about the spies being locked up in one room till the snow cleared. No mention of meals or toilet facilities. A bit of a human rights issue!
on 8 February 2009
I think this is a good book because it is a fascinating mystery about the secret way and about the crooks who try to steal Uncle Quentin's formula. I would definitely recommend this as a good read.
on 1 August 2012
Despite the fashion for Enid Blyton-bashing, these books have stood the test of time. NOT because children today see themselves in the book's characters, but because the stories themselves are still a rollicking good read for children. Our godson simply loves them (he's 7 yrs old). It's lovely to be able to share books I loved with him.
on 12 September 2015
THE BEST FOR A FIRST READ!

Enid’s books were the catalyst which encouraged me to start reading more than 50 years ago. Thank you, Enid. The BBC, many libraries, local authorities and alleged educational experts have been completely wrong about the worth of the Blyton works. I can remember having substantial difficulty obtaining the original books as so many places would not stock them. The stories are great to read for their simplicity and straightforwardness.

When one did find copies of the book they were quite expensive all those years ago but great to own. I loved the letter on the back cover from Enid and the physical appearance of the book which I treasured as a youngster with the way the books were produced then which made them somehow much easier to read.

It’s a delight to read the stories again in middle age although recent editing has diminished some of the memories I have of the original editions and words used then (but I am now getting old). Never mind… these books remain one of my best friends for life: they began my reading adventure so do read these special adventures for yourselves.
on 22 October 2014
All the talk of illustrators and illustration around the descriptions of this edition is misleading. The only illustration is on the cover. There are no illustrations whatsoever in the content of the book. The story is of course excellent.
on 28 October 2012
My mom bought me this book for my birthday and I have really enjoyed reading it. As always, this Famous Five book involves Julian, Dick, George, Anne and Timmy the dog. This adventure takes place at Georges house and involves stolen papers, secret passages and one mean tutor! It is set during the Christmas holidays, but whilst everyone else is enjoying a break, the four children have to have extra lessons - nightmare! As a girl of 10 I found this book both funny and dramatic at times and it has made me want to read others in the series. This would definitely be a good stocking filler!
on 23 February 2014
Got this one and the next one in the series, 'Five run away together', for my 8yr old grandson. He had previously loved the first book of the Famous Five series and was very pleased to get these. I am sure I will continue buying until he has read them all!