5.0 out of 5 stars Great for kids
These books are excellent for kiids and my son gets very excited reading every night which is a great educational tool. The book manages to conjure up enough fun and imagination that he can concentrate on it for a good 30 minutes each night before going to bed, learning new words, vocabulary and sentence structure and enjoying the great adventures! Highly recommended.
Published on 23 Jun 2009 by Bradley Mitton

3.0 out of 5 stars Three Stars
Fond memories.
Published 4 months ago by Terry Gooing

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for kids, 23 Jun 2009
Bradley Mitton "Brad" (Berlin) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Five Run away Together (Paperback)

5.0 out of 5 stars A thrilling read, 23 Jun 2010
A Kid's Review
This review is from: Five Run away Together (Paperback)
This is a fabulous book by Enid Blyton with enchanting illustrations by Eileen A. Soper. I have two favourite parts one is when Julian is getting food for the five and is being rude but in a polite way and the other one is when they go to Kirren Island and stay in the cave and Anne is a very good house-wife or should I say cave-wife!

I have two main words, thrilling and exiting.( I could go on forever!!!) I would say it would be suitable for age five to fourteen years but still adults would like it too. I love the old-fashioned words like macintosh.

5.0 out of 5 stars My favourite childhood book, 25 Dec 2013
This review is from: Famous Five: 3: Five Run Away Together (Kindle Edition)
My absolute favourite book as a child. No one writes the same way. The current trend for children and young adult books is very poor in comparison and I am not that old myself.

5.0 out of 5 stars My favourite Famous Five book, 19 Mar 2014
A Allan (Aberdeenshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Famous Five: 3: Five Run Away Together (Kindle Edition)
I first encountered the Famous Five around the age of 9, courtesy of a primary school teacher who had a bookcase full of Enid Blyton and Capt W E Johns books. I adored the Famous Five and had about half the books at one time, some in original hard cover editions, but they have disappeared over the years. Despite what the politically correct brigade think, Blyton was a wonderful author and turned out hundreds of books for children of different ages. Her style made the books easy to read and the stories were adventurous and exciting at that age. I think this book, Five Run Away Together, is the best of the whole series (21 books if my memory serves me right) and I loved the way Julian, in particular, dealt with the nasty Stick family at Kirrin Cottage, and how they all camped out in the cave on Kirrin Island. Timmy was such a lovable dog (a hairy mongrel, not the collie that the BBC used for the TV version). I do agree with one critical reviewer however in that Enid's Five Find Outers & Dog series has aged rather better than the Famous Five, or perhaps it is just that these books were already intended for slightly older children and, as crime whodunits, relate better to our adult minds. Having already seen the 1963 TV series, around age 12 or so I encountered Arthur Ransome's Swallows & Amazons series of books and was totally captivated - and still am, more so as I discovered the initial stories were based on real children! My introduction to Malcolm Saville's Lone Pine series followed a year or two later, books where over time the children involved do age and eventually show late teenage feelings for one another, but his books were clearly written for a young teenage audience, not the pre-puberty audience Enid Blyton was writing for. Both Ransome and Saville set their stories in real, if somewhat disguised, locations. Blyton's books are only located in a "regional" setting, never a specific real village or town. I don't think that detracts neither does the anachronistic language and mindset. What does bug me totally is the way the publishers have "edited" these books in recent times to "modernise" them and remove what they see as outdated language and concepts - if you can, get your hands on the original text versions. As a rather poor rural working class boy, I found the stories captivating, readers were not just middle class kids, even if her main characters usually were. Apart from a few "toffs", no one where I was brought up sent their children to boarding school but that didn't mean I couldn't enjoy Darrell and Felicity in their school adventures at Malory Towers. Readers and TV viewers who are not upper middle class or aristocracy certainly don't find Jane Marple or Hercule Poirot unacceptable, yet Agatha Christie's settings and villains were almost exclusively from these narrow class backgrounds. Agatha's mindset and views are as objectionable as Enid's to the politically correct brigade - it's their loss, not anyone else's! These books were written at a different time, much of it coloured by war. Cars and telephones were not yet the everyday objects they now are; television had yet to penetrate out of the experimental stage. Read them and enjoy!
Finally a plea to AMAZON - can we please have the original text versions available for the Kindle please!

5.0 out of 5 stars The Famous Five, 6 Mar 2014
This review is from: Famous Five: 3: Five Run Away Together (Kindle Edition)
I rated this Five stars because it as an interesting book and it always builds suspense a buy that is worth it !!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Read., 20 Feb 2014
This review is from: Famous Five: 3: Five Run Away Together (Kindle Edition)
Very very good read on in my 60's but still enjoyed.the book I've also read the Camping one and I'm about to order another on for my kindle.

5.0 out of 5 stars Yay Famous Five, 12 Jan 2014
This review is from: Famous Five: 3: Five Run Away Together (Kindle Edition)
I know they,re kids books but i love the escapism into yesteryear with nothing nasty and distasteful as so many things are nowadays.

5.0 out of 5 stars RE Trip down memory Lane, 30 Nov 2013
Bought this for a Christmas present for a lovely little girl. Although I am very tempted to read it again myself. Arrived promptly and looks fab

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant read!, 17 Oct 2013
This review is from: Famous Five: 3: Five Run Away Together (Kindle Edition)
I absolutely love this book and I would recommend to anyone who loves an adventure story great read for any age.

5.0 out of 5 stars Really captivating, 31 Aug 2013
This review is from: Famous Five: 3: Five Run Away Together (Kindle Edition)
I chose this rating because it was mysterious. I didn't like the bit when Mr and Mrs Stick kidnapped Jenny Armstrong because it made me feel scared. I liked the bit when the Sticks went to jail.
By Ammaarah.