5.0 out of 5 stars excellent remastering of an old classic
Loved the original series when shown on the BBC back in the 70's.
Nice to revisit it now and appreciate the great plots and storylines.
Published 20 months ago by filmboychris

2.0 out of 5 stars 5 Star Series in a 2 Star Budget Box...
Published on 16 Jan 2012 by Bertie Buggerington

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent remastering of an old classic, 17 April 2013
This review is from: Star Trek: The Original Series - The Full Journey [DVD] (DVD)
Loved the original series when shown on the BBC back in the 70's.
Nice to revisit it now and appreciate the great plots and storylines.
This series really was ahead of it's time. The new spaceship and space travel scenes have had a discreet CGI makeover and they look awesome. I think that they have been created very well and give the series a fresh look without spoiling the original feel of the series.

I can't understand why so many people have complained about the cardboard slots that house the discs.
All the discs fit fine and are not scratched, or rattling around loose as people seem to suggest, and the quality of the discs is excellent.
I found no problem in removing the discs from the slots and re-inserting them .
To be honest, there is more chance of bending a disc when trying to release it from the hard plastic grips found in some other DVD cases, than gently sliding these into their cardboard slots, so what's the problem?

A real bargain from Amazon and recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars Boldly going HD, 8 Oct 2014
D. James (UK) - See all my reviews
This set contains every single episode, split across three seasons. For its time, a progressive and forward-thinking science fiction series. The distinctive style and memorable characters lend it a timeless quality, although many aspects of the production, theatrical style and melodramatic acting will no doubt find it struggling to appeal to modern audiences. Season 1 and 2 contain some classic episodes and iconic moments that have defined a whole generation, whereas season 3 does not hold up to the same standard and features a fair few duds. It is what it is, however, and it's preserved beautifully on Blu-ray.

The picture quality is mostly excellent and, I suspect, as good as this show is ever going to look (in its original 4:3 aspect ratio at 1080p, as it should be). As the show was shot and edited on film, you do occasionally get some fuzzier shots where they originally created an optical effect on the film or a fade-in/-out or dissolve or camera shake. Unfortunately, on Blu-ray, this is somewhat distracting because I can immediately tell when a scene is about to end or a visual effect is about to happen because the shot will appear noticably blurrier. I never noticed this before on DVD, but on Blu-ray, it is very apparent. The vast majority of shots are "raw footage", and these look incredibly good. You can see all the detail in fabrics and sweat and pores on the actors' faces. The detail and colours are wonderful and vibrant. At least 90% of each episode looks stunning.

The Blu-ray sets retain all the original optical visual effects of the Enteprise flying through space as they should do (for prosperity, naturally!) but also a choice of viewing new-ish digital effects instead. These digital effects hold up better in terms of clarity and detail and the variety of stock shots makes for a welcome change. Occasionally, some of the new effects look a bit too cartoony or far-fetched, which is a shame, but for the most part I prefer them. The new digital matte paintings are incredibly faithful to the original paintings but much nicer and hold up to the scrutiny of high definition.

The extras are nice enough, although I would have liked some commentaries for the episodes. You can view commentary-like "Starfleet access" for a handful of episodes but I would have welcomed more. Most of the old DVD features carry over. The season 2 tribbles disc is overflowing with tribbly goodness, including related Animated Series and Deep Space Nine episodes. The third season features multiple versions of the original pilot episode, "The Cage" as well as an alternate version of the second pilot "Where No Man Has Gone Before", taken from a recently-found 16mm film. This hasn't had the same scratch removal or new VFX applied to it as the version on season 1, but it holds up remarkably well and I found the alterations really interesting, including act breaks and a slightly different opening.

One thing that continually annoys me about these releases is the insistence of putting them in original air date order, as if anybody cares about the arbitrary air dates they picked out of a hat in the 1960s. For my money, production order makes far more sense and sees a more natural progression of characters and set design. This does mean changing discs more frequently.

Adverts are another annoyance. Star Trek is a piece of history, and I'd rather this record of it not be preceded by a (very loud) advert for a barely related film that came out in 2009 whenever I dare to put disc 1 in the machine.

Finally, the packaging. I actually prefer the space-saving properties of the cardboard box, however concerns over discs slipping out are legitimate and it does lend a slightly 'cheap' feel to the package. However, I haven't had any issues with scratches and I'm fairly happy with the packaging. Though I must admit, those three-colour single-season sets do look much cooler.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Collection, 29 April 2014
Previous reviews had complained about the cardboard box packaging, so I was a bit concerned about that, but we had no issues with it. I can understand how the discs could slip out of their cardboard sleeves and get scratched during shipping, but ours arrived without any damage. For the price on offer, I would not let the possibility of a scratched disc put you off ordering this box set. If you are a serious collector, you probably will want to invest in the fancier collector's editions of individual seasons, but if you're a casual viewer like we are, and just want to rewatch some favourite classic television, I think they have put together a really great collection in one compact and convenient box set. I am happy I have it.

2.0 out of 5 stars 5 Star Series in a 2 Star Budget Box..., 16 Jan 2012
I felt awful clicking the 2 star tab, as I'm a life-long Star Trek fan and this is a pop culture icon... the very definition of a five star series. However, it is my duty as a consumer to warn other prospective buyers and to urge you to pay the premium and buy the separate season sets over this complete set. Reason being? Scratched discs from the awful cardboard slot style packaging, the likes of which you receive FREE promotional discs in a Sunday newspaper.

No doubt you have come across all the new 'Full Journey' sets... TOS, TNG, DS9, VOY and ENT on DVD, and TOS also on Blu-ray disc? Well common sense and a previous experience of this cardboard slot type packing should steer anyone away from the DVD sets (the slimline season sets are much higher quality and cheaper), knowing how prone DVD discs are to scratching, but knowing how difficult it is to scratch a Blu-ray disc, I assumed I'd be safe to go ahead and order the TOS set on Blu-ray and save myself a considerable sum of money (the individual season sets on Blu-ray, unlike in the case of the DVD's, are higher priced). Well yes, I did save some money... and then received my box-set with several discs rattling around loose inside. I quickly put them back and stored it on my shelf, thinking I was safe as Blu-ray discs are hard coated. I started playing the odd disc here and there, but noticing several surface scratches on the discs as I took them from their card slots. This could only be caused by this ridiculously cheap packaging, or cheap manufacture of the Blu-ray discs. The last straw was a disc I pulled out that wasn't even one of the ones that arrived loose, yet it had a severe scratch, a scratch which ran horizontally across the surface of the disc, the type of which can cause havoc and leave the player's error correction a real tough fight to play the media back without skips and freezes. Needless to say, they got quickly packed up and a return/refund request was placed. I am ordering the individual sets instead, which have the discs in sensible Amaray multi-cases.

As regards the series itself and the episodes I watched on Blu-ray, well they're immaculate. It looks like it could have been filmed yesterday. You get both the new CGI and the old model based special effects (unlike on DVD which only has the new CGI), and you can change between them on the fly with either the angle button if your remote has one, or via the pop up menu. There are also a wealth of extras. So yes, a 5 star release let down by shoddy packaging of which CBS Paramount UK should be ashamed. They are in for a world of hurt as regards customer returns, and it will be a hassle to places like Amazon and other suppliers as much as the customers, as they have to deal with constant returns. So for the sake of (at the time of writing) thirty to forty pounds more, you should really go for the individual sets if you can afford to. If that kind of a saving is just too much to pass by, you could take your chance and hope that there are few if any scratches and, of those there are, they do not cause playback issues. I myself believe Blu-ray should NOT be getting packed in budget packaging at all, as it is a premium format, commanding a premium price, and you should be able to rely on getting a premium product. In the case of this 'Full Journey' set, that is NOT the case. So buyer beware, I'm afraid.

2.0 out of 5 stars A disappointing experience, 30 Nov 2012
On arrival I inspected the discs and was suspicious of the fact that the label printing was of a poor quality, often encroaching onto the edges of the disc. The first disc that I played had major issues with synch between visuals and audio. Then the disc starting playing German language audio even though English had been carefully selected. This fault repeatedly occurred and was impossible to override.

Consequently, I decided to return the set and was told by Amazon that this had to be done via a Yodel collection. Yodel have since provided me with two dates for collection but have not turned up on either, wasting two whole days of valuable time. I have requested a third collection date but they are now ignoring my emails. I have resorted to contacting Amazon to ask what I should do next but have not yet had a response. I am sure that you will agree that this is a very disappointing experience.

4.0 out of 5 stars this is an excellent set, very well remastered although there are some ..., 29 July 2014
David Jackson (Birmingham, England) - See all my reviews
Firstly the positive, this is an excellent set, very well remastered although there are some scenes which were either missed or not done as well as they might have been but overall it is well done. All discs played with no problems. Now for the irritation why are the episodes not in order? There seems to be no reason for the sequence on the discs apart to make it difficult to follow the episodes as intended. However to assist anyone who does want to watch them in order this is where to find the episodes, please note they are not in order within each disc either, I have listed them that way to make finding an individual episode easier:

Season 1 disc 1: episodes 2, 6, 7, and 8
Season 1 disc 2: episodes 4, 5, 10 and 12
Season 1 disc 3: episodes 3, 11 and 16 (both parts)
Season 1 disc 4: episodes 9, 13, 14 and 17

Season 2 disc 1: episodes 33 and 34
Season 2 disc 2: episodes 35, 37, 38 and 39
Season 2 disc 3: episodes 30, 31, 41 and 44
Season 2 disc 4: episodes 32, 36, 40 and 47
Season 2 disc 5: episode 42 (and lots of tribble extras)
Season 2 disc 6: episodes 45, 46, 48 and 49

Season 3 disc 6: episodes 74, 77, 78 and 79
Season 3 disc 7: episode 1 (The Cage) and the extended version of The Cage

5.0 out of 5 stars A fantastic makeover, 30 Aug 2011
Mr. B. K. Edmunds "Brian_E" (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
What they have done to the original film negatives of this TV series is almost miraculous. They have cleaned it up so well that it looks as though it was originally made for DVD, without (and here's the important bit) taking anything away from the original material. To see how well it has been done, just take a look at the trailers (which haven't been cleaned up) or the mini documentary on disc 1, which shows side by side comparisons. If they hadn't done this work, I would have been very disappointed with the quality, but the finished product is absolutely superb. Even the theme music (both versions) has been re-recorded using the original manuscripts, together with some of the people who worked on the originals, so apart from the quality of the sound, it would be very difficult to tell the different versions apart. My only disappointment and it is a very minor one, is that Kirk's famous opening lines sound a little too quiet (strange though, the voice sounds fine in the mini documentary). This wouldn't be enough to knock even one star off my rating though. If you are a fan of the original Star Trek, you won't be disappointed with this.

1.0 out of 5 stars Star Trek original 1966 complete series on Blu-ray, 11 Jan 2013
Am I missing something? This is the third set of Star Trek, the original series, I have ordered. The last two had a sound problem. On this set I cannot get beyond the first episode - Man Trap. Any button I press results in 'Not allowed,' 'Prohibited on this disk' - or nothing at all. How do I access later episodes? Or do I have to return this set as well and give up altogether?

4.0 out of 5 stars Great series but horrible packageing, 17 Feb 2014
Well most of you know Star Trek so that's not what i want to focus on. Lets instead look at the DVD's / box itself. The package is a lot lot smaller than I expected. You would think that's a good thing right ? well sure the box doesn't take much space to store but the small size comes at a price. All the dvd's are not very securely packed and several where lose and moving around before I have even opened the box. Luckily none of the discs where scratched but is a shame that a great show is in such a bad box.
The picture quality is very good considering its an old show all tho the colours are little bit too bright for my taste.

4.0 out of 5 stars Its about time , MISTER!, 10 April 2013
Its taken me a long while to get around to buying this box set , as when I first heard (a few years ago now) that Star Trek: The Original Series would be undergoing a Star Wars style complete digital makeover , in which all its main special effects would be replaced with CGI , it was like having burning hot pokers rammed through my eyes at the very mention of it , so I refused to have anything to do with them (let alone buy them) out of my pure hatred for Lucas starting this god awful trend.

The thought of Paramount doing a "Lucas" on this beloved show was almost too much to bare and thought it was the "datedness" of the show that is a big part of the charm and appeal of the original series.
The miniskirts, crazy costumes, wobbly sets , obvious stunt doubles with no effort to hide the fact and OTT theatrical acting really are all things to cherish , along with the dodgy space FX.
A few years past and I'd completely forgotten all about them , but when channel flicking a couple of months ago , I came across an episode of 'The Doomsday Machine' on CBS Action and had no idea it would be these updated versions , and as I watched the new CGI unfold in front of me , I actually started to think "This is bloody brilliant" and it completely won me over in a matter of minutes and set the series link on my Skybox immediately.

It makes you wonder how on Earth Lucas could get it SO WRONG and yet this so right , and completely blame him for putting me off any kind of "special editions" which made me miss out on these for such a long time , due to his appalling attempts at fiddling/faffing/poking and tweaking with his own classic films and truly deserves a "Kirk style" chop to the back of the neck for being such a git!!!!... George , I'm laughing at the superior CGI !
Have viewed all 79 episodes and didn't find a single thing offensive at all. Even the iconic theme tune has been completely redone using the original Alexander Courage sheet music to produce an almost perfect copy and think whoever did the work on this was obviously a big fan and didn't want to upset anyone , and if anything , deserves congratulating... Maybe Lucas should have hired this guy ?

The CGI has been made to look like it was special FX from the 60's , but with a slight modern twist and really blends in quite well and hasn't just been "shoehorned in" for the sake of it like Star Wars... Don't get me wrong , I love Star Wars more than most , but Lucas and Star Wars these days is like David Beckham and tattoos , i.e: he just cant stop adding more and more until you end up with something truly quite repugnant !!!!
It could have been so tempting to go all out by giving us nice new modern special FX and truly ruined something quite special , so extremely glad they managed to restrain themselves and do only what was necessary... Birthday was coming up , so hinted (very loudly) to my wife what I wanted.
The picture quality is gorgeous and astonishingly , the sound has been given a 7.1 remastering , which may seem like overkill on a 60's TV show , but it sounds pleasant enough on my 7.1 setup , so more than happy.
You also get the original versions (YOU HEAR THAT , LUCAS!) if you want to view them , and can even flip from one to the other at the touch of a button if you want to compare old FX for new , so it really is the best of both worlds (no pun intended).
Extras are good , but nothing really to shout about from what you got from previous releases.

The box it comes in could have been better and I have read a lot of complaints about it , but not really had any major issues with it myself , but I am starting to wish I'd asked for the individual series instead , which comes in proper boxes and is a little more expensive (Hey , I wasn't paying) , but I'm considering swapping all the discs into my old Star Trek DVD yellow/blue/red plastic boxes that I also have , which is a much better looking and sturdier box to hold them in and seems a shame not to use or keep them , but overall its a good box set to own... Not perfect , but good enough and very well priced.

You do hear people complain that its too much money on Blu-ray , but these have never been cheaper to own all 79 episodes upon release.. VHS would have cost you more than 4 times as much back in the day to own them all. Even the DVD would have cost you £150 (at the time of release) to have all three seasons and you wouldn't have gotten 2 versions/extras/Hi-def picture and 7.1 sound with them either...MISTER !

Star Trek: The Original Series - The Full Journey [DVD]