5.0 out of 5 stars Classy little corker., 24 Jan 2012
Richard "Not here." (London, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: My One and Only [DVD] (DVD)
I just saw this on a copy i borrowed from the local library and loved it so much I decided to check out amazon with a view to adding it to my own collection. I'm amazed to see that at time of writing it's available at such a low price and that it has thus far garnered only one review (albeit a glowing one) - suggesting I suppose that it's probably a bit of a commercial mediocrity here in the UK. If so, how unjust! This is a beautifully made, very funny little mainstream American comedy. And a total charmer.

I won't go over the ground already ably covered by the preceding reviewer. Suffice to say that I urge others not to be fooled by any negative appearances in the local marketplace. Renee Z is a fine actress who, regrettably, I've seen appear in quite a few indifferent films. This is not one of those. It's not just another slick box-office exercise in concocting plastic, retro-chic Romantic comedy. Nor is it yet one more dumb-ass, pseudo-cool, ironic take on 50s Americana. This is a genuinely witty, wry, affectionate look back through the lens of classic Hollywood cinema which succeeds in recapturing the sense of heart that the best of that old stuff had - without sentimentality.

The performances are uniformly excellent and it looks an absolute treat. I would suggest that it contains more than one or two genuinely authentic, wonderful cinematic moments of its own. In short, first class mainstream U.S. film-making by pros who clearly loved the project. I just wish the basic DVD copy I've seen had the film-making extras on it that the Blue Ray version evidently has. Alas, there were none and this film definitely deserves better treatment than that.

Take look at this funny, moving, very entertaining little corker.

5.0 out of 5 stars I'M STANDING ON THE EDGE OF SOME CRAZY CLIFF, 20 July 2013
The Movie Guy "Movies from A to Z" (United States) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: My One and Only [DVD] (DVD)
Kevin Bacon plays Dan Devereaux a NY band leader who has cheated on his wife Anne (Renée Zellweger) one too many times. Dan's claim to fame is that he wrote the hit song, "My One and Only." A song he ironically wrote for Anne.

Anne packs up her sons and leaves. Robbie (Mark Rendall) the older son by a different father is stereotypically gay. George (Logan Lerman) is 15 and is mature for his age. He becomes our voice of reason, outsmarting his mom's suitors who are not desirable when she can't see their flaws. Anne is old fashion southern. She is attempting to adapt to the societal changes in post WWII America. Ladies, do not drive. Robbie doesn't have the personality to drive, so unlicensed George is the family chauffeur. Anne instructs her son to look forward and never use the rear view mirror. She is that optimistic. The opening scenes are quick at revealing character.

Anne has trouble surviving in the real world, having never lived without being dependent on a man. The film is an enjoyable light comedy and light adventure. For those who like the quirkiness of an indie, and the star acting of a first run feature, this one has it all. Recommended viewing.

1 F-bomb, no sex or nudity.

5.0 out of 5 stars "...In Every Pack...There's A Leader..." - My One And Only on BLU RAY, 2 Aug 2011
Mark Barry "Mark Barry" (London) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
In some ways "My One And Only" is a real throwback to old-fashioned filmmaking. It's a story that deliberately takes its own sweet time to unfold - characters make big mistakes, recover begrudgingly, then grow some and move on. It's about a family that's close-knit but also in turmoil - and all of this is set against a backdrop of beautiful Fifties American small town/big city scenery and socially changing times...

Renee Zellweger plays Anne Devereaux - a glamorous New York mum who decides to leave her feckless bandleader husband George after she catches him at home with one too many of his on-the-road affairs (a hugely likeable and capable Kevin Bacon). Besides - the royalties to his National hit "My One And Only" have begun to wither - and so with wildly out-of-place optimism - Anne cheerfully bundles her two teenage sons (superb casting of Logan Lerman and Mark Rendall) into her ludicrously flashy Coupe De Ville car (which she's just paid $2,500 for) and hits the road for Pittsburgh - and eventually - the bigger glam of Hollywood. But of course along the way, Anne only manages to flit from one relationship disaster to another - with just her beauty, class and innate belief in herself keeping her head above water and her restless kids out of poverty (and even jail).

One of the men she meets and woos is Chris Noth who plays a nice-at-first army-man who is lonely and quickly smitten. But as the relationship unfolds, Harlan increasingly becomes Mister Rules and Regulations - eventually turning into a very nasty piece of work indeed. It's a real departure for Noth from his Mr. Big character in Sex & The City, but man is he good at it (dialogue above).

But the film firmly belongs to Zellweger who is absolutely superlative throughout in a way she hasn't been for a long time - ably assisted by a talented supporting cast who are given material that makes everyone shine. Zellweger gives her Anne a beating heart - fun one moment - destroyed the next - digging down deep to find that inner strength to go on. You root for her - bleed for her - and eventually smile at her sheer American tenacity. This movie sees Renee as a great actress rather than just a good one.

"My One And Only" is a proper journey movie - and because it's steeped in Fifties period architecture and clothing - it looks utterly fantastic on BLU RAY. Scene after scene is filled with that old-world grit, glamour and gorgeous detail. And on it goes to a surprising twist at the end that you genuinely don't see coming. The BLU RAY also features a very informative "Making Of" and staggeringly candid remarks in the "Cast & Crew Interviews" (Richard Loncraine the Director and Charlie Peters the Writer) as well as contributions from the army of people who brought the Fifties stuff so evocatively to life.

A bit of a 2011 sleeper on the rental and purchase market, I liked "My One And Only" a great deal and bought it to own. I'd say give this little gem a chance - I suspect you'll be more than pleasantly surprised.

PS: it's only available on BLU RAY in the 'UK' at present - Stateside is DVD only

4.0 out of 5 stars A thoroughly enjoyable and surprisingly moving road trip, 22 Mar 2013
I wasn't really sure what to expect going into 'My One and Only'. I've always enjoyed the work of Reneé Zellwegger and Logan Lerman but I was unsure of whether this fairly unknown film could stand on its own merits. Overall, I was very surprised by the tone of the film and in the end I very much liked it.

Like I said, Zellwegger and Lerman have always been favourites of mine and they both excel in their roles. The film is much more emotionally charged than I expected, with the second half of the film containing a majority of said emotion. Both leads are called upon for some heated and personal encounters and they pull it off in their usual grandeur. The rest of the cast, while not required to portray as much range as the leads, hold their own, with Mark Rendall in particular offering a fun and impressive performance as Hamilton's flamboyant half-brother.

The story itself is a pretty simple one, with little more than Hamilton's confliction over leaving his father and repeatedly starting new lives tying the individual tales of each town visited together. I felt the first half of the film was definitely weaker than the second, with little endgame in sight and a series of cliché-ridden coincidences propelling the family along their journey. Once the true conflict between Hamilton and his mother commences however, the film picks itself up and becomes a truly enjoyable ride and one worth undertaking.

Directing and editing are both concise, sparing us a number of unnecessary plot details while switching between scenes quickly to maintain pacing. It can be a bit jarring at first, but considering the fast-paced lifestyle of Mrs. Deveraux, it suits the film's styling. There's nothing too surprising in either department, but overall the directing and editing are more than competent.

The 50s era is a favourite of mine and I feel like 'My One and Only' is an excellent example of how to pull off a film set in that time period. Everything from set design, to dialogue, to music and to costuming exudes elegance and makes you feel as though you truly are in the world of the Hamiltons. The soundtrack is excellent, offering a fantastic composition of jazz to adhere to the visual spectacle on display. All of this is bolstered by an exemplary Blu-ray presentation which offers superior visual detail and sound quality and few noticeable issues.

Overall, I was extremely surprised by the film. For the first hour or so I could have quite easily left it be, with only the impressive visuals and performances interesting me much, but I'm glad I stuck around because it turns itself around halfway through and I enjoyed it much more. The acting is fantastic and my love of the era is more than enough to make me recommend this Blu-ray, bolstered by its impressive presentation. Sit back and enjoy the ride, because 'My One and Only' is a good time if you let it take you back to the golden days of Hollywood.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 2 Nov 2014
This review is from: My One and Only [DVD] (DVD)
Rather funny, but also makes you reflect on what "roles" women had in those days!

4.0 out of 5 stars Not sure about one and only, 29 Jun 2013
This review is from: My One and Only [DVD] (DVD)
I bought this DVD on the basis that it is supposed to be one of Renee Zellweger's best ever movies...with Kevin Bacon as supporting actor. Actually it was rather boring, about a woman with two sons, a husband who is a lead in a popular band with a wandering eye...Renee decides she's had enough and hits the road with her two sons stopping off at different places along the way...all the while getting her heart broken by men...

My One and Only [DVD]
My One and Only [DVD] by Logan Lerman (DVD - 2011)