5.0 out of 5 stars Cheap, rugged and effective
Try breaking one of these in normal use - I dare you! Mine has been sat on, dropped, soaked, carried between teeth (dog's, not mine) and still looks like new - and works!

Published on 10 Aug 2011 by P. K. Preston

3.0 out of 5 stars Not for beagles
Good reports from other dog owners with have met using this device but did not function as we hoped it would with our beagle
Published 17 months ago by Spud

5.0 out of 5 stars Cheap, rugged and effective, 10 Aug 2011
P. K. Preston (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Acme 210.5 Working Dog Whistle (Sports)

My Working Cocker Spaniel responded to this instantly, and she was only a few months old. I don't work her and she only really gets basic training, but for a recall over big distances and in dense woods, this whistle is great.

I've found that quite a few other dogs pay attention when I use it, and even though they haven't been trained to it, they often sit in front of me or stand there waiting.

Best dog accessory ever!

5.0 out of 5 stars Second one needed, 6 Aug 2011
This review is from: Acme 210.5 Working Dog Whistle (Sports)
Purchased my first whistle several months ago...very successful. My dog can hear this at 300 yards across fields and soon learned to come to the whistle. I have not tried any other complicated training. Left the first one at my home in Spain and needed a second after 2 days back in UK....its that good. Once used becomes vital. Whistle is small and discreate, first one came with a chord for around the neck..so where is the chord on the second ...soon found my own. Does not sound loud to the human ear but must be at a pitch which works for dogs, so its deceptively good. At this price... unmissable!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent training aid, 5 Jun 2012
This review is from: Acme 210.5 Working Dog Whistle (Sports)
Easy to give commands, dogs hear the sound from a considerable distance, would never go out without it now, excellent value for money

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, but put it on a lanyard before you take it out, 11 Feb 2013
This review is from: Acme 210.5 Working Dog Whistle (Sports)
After mine was delivered, I was keen to try it out with my dog (springer spaniel). Worked great, he came back straight away. Then I lost it on the field. By some miracle I found it again the day after, at which point I put it on a lanyard.
My tips: to start with, wait until your dog is running back to you anyway, then give a couple of toots (always the same whistle 'pattern') and give him a tasty treat. A few walks like this and he associates the whistle with sausage. I can now call him back from anywhere and he always comes. Next I'm going to try introducing a new whistle pattern to my vocabulary to see if he'll respond accordingly; maybe a down on command.
To sum up: definitely get one, plus a lanyard. Use it along with lots of praise and reward and you won't be disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best around, 29 Jun 2011
This review is from: Acme 210.5 Working Dog Whistle (Sports)
We bought an Acme whistle when we bought our rescue dog, it was lost within 24 hours, found and then lost again. I immediately ordered replacements but in the interim we bought a non Acme whistle locally. It was useless. No comparison the the Acme at all which is simply the best!

4.0 out of 5 stars A useful tool, 27 Jan 2012
D. Jones (Warwickshire) - See all my reviews
(No. 1 Hall OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Acme 210.5 Working Dog Whistle (Sports)
I have a Labrador who is reasonable good at coming back when called so long as there are no distractions around her. However, as soon as we go down to the field where there are people, other dogs and fallen apples she conveniently turns deaf to my calls. A friend suggested that I try a dog whistle as it is a very different noise to those that they are used to and it can often grab attention where a familiar voice doesn't.

This whistle is a couple of inches in length, made from black plastic and it has been sturdy enough for our use at home. It comes with a nylon neck cord attached which is extremely useful as I am forever losing things like this. I just pop it around my neck before leaving the house and it is easy to find when I need to use it quickly. No more having to rummage around in my pockets amongst the treats, poo bags and balls!

When blown the whistle makes an extremely high pitched noise which can hurt your ears if blown for too long - it tends to be better to blow it in short spurts both for the sake of your ears and for getting your dog's attention.

The sound travels far; my dog can hear it right across a very large field. It is also useful to use when there is a lot of background noise such as traffic, wind or on the beach. Usually when she hears it she does stop what she is doing and look back at me. However, it doesn't guarantee she will come back - but that is not a fault of the whistle, more that I haven't reinforced her training with the whistle.

Overall, I have been pleased with the quality of the whistle, I just need to be a bit more consistent in my training with it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good quick posting, 22 Nov 2011
This review is from: Acme 210.5 Working Dog Whistle (Sports)
Small item arrived the next day, very good stuff. Good little whistle, gets my dogs attention quickly. He comes running most of the time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great voice saver!, 1 July 2012
Heidi Kingston (Ashford, Kent United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Acme 210.5 Working Dog Whistle (Sports)
This whistle is very clear. It is much easier to whistle commands, when your dog is some distance away, than it is to shout!

3.0 out of 5 stars Not for beagles, 2 Mar 2013

3.0 out of 5 stars Works quite well, 24 Feb 2013
C. Martin Lowe "martinthevet" (Paignton, Devon United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Acme 210.5 Working Dog Whistle (Sports)
I agree with other reviewers that it is a rugged product but would strongly disagree that it works well over long distances, it doesn't carry very far, maybe about a hundred yards?

Acme 210.5 Working Dog Whistle