5.0 out of 5 stars Back to their best
I am a huge Racer X,Mr Big & Paul Gilbert fan and have been from the late 80's so when I heard Undertow being played on Planet Rock a few weeks ago I thought "who is that!" and straight away ordered it through good 'ol Amazon.

If you like all of the above your gonna love this...........Buy it! 10/10
Published on 5 Feb 2011 by Mark Brockton

3.0 out of 5 stars Bad mixing/production
This album is otherwise very good but the mixing and production has gone terribly wrong. It sounds like the music is coming from a barrel or something... And like there is a thick blanket in front of the speakers. I have listened to this album with several people, and they all say the same. We even compared this to older Mr. Big albums and there is a BIG difference. So...
Published on 22 Feb 2011 by Penetrator

5.0 out of 5 stars Back to their best, 5 Feb 2011
Mark Brockton (UK) - See all my reviews

If you like all of the above your gonna love this...........Buy it! 10/10

5.0 out of 5 stars Rock still lives, 24 Jan 2011
Big Jim "Big Jim" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This review is from: What If (CD + DVD) (Audio CD)
Apparently a survey recently showed that of the top 100 singles released last year only 3 were "rock" and apparently this shows that rock is dead. Well as the Who said, "Long live rock" because us rock fans aren't buying into the single download market, we are buying great albums like this. Now I don't own any other Mr Big albums (soon to be rectifed) but I caught "undertow" on Planet Rock, have listened to the album on Spotify all week and have downloaded it from Amazon today.
So how is the album? I'll let other pundits who know more about the band take you through track by track but there are some stomping rockers on here, a couple of meaty ballads and an all over sheen of beautifully produced powerful, traditional rock. We've been spoiled over the past year/18 months with some top quality hard rock releases, my particular faves being Europe, Magnum, Alterbridge, Voodoo Six and the Union. If like me you have enjoyed any or all of the latest albums by that lot then there is something here for you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding grower........, 29 Jan 2011
S. A. Reed (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: What If (CD + DVD) (Audio CD)
Buy the cd/dvd as its quite simply outstanding and a bargain at under 9.00.
This must relaunch the band in to main stream rock and beyond.
Excellent production and packaging following in the footsteps of Journeys US release of Revelation and Black Country Communions rescent superb release.
Every track is a grower which is the sign of a classic.
For me it exceeds expectations and is their best release so far.
Welcome back and rock/roll on the next release.
Keep the genre/cds and the business alive and buy this format not the disposable mp3 bull.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 25 April 2013
This review is from: What If (CD + DVD) (Audio CD)
A classic album for the thinking person. In my opinion this album is a technical masterpiece, everything is here, technical ability, melody, emotion and above all songs that will move you. Everyone plays their part to perfection, they all shine and demonstrate their unique musical ability. Fantastic!

4.0 out of 5 stars TMG number 2!, 21 Dec 2011
Bish "}{ellraiser" (Melbourne, AUSTRALIA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: What If (CD + DVD) (Audio CD)
I always prayed for a another Tak Matsumoto Group album with Eric Martin & Jack Blades (Night Ranger). Well my prayers were almost answered coming from an unlikely source, Eric's first supergroup ...Mr.Big!
The boys have gone back to basics, lost all of the gloss & sheen of the last 2 Gilbert fronted albums and made a killer album.
The production has a live, raw and in your face vibe to it and people accustomed to the glossy Mr.Big (like me) may find it a little off-putting at first.
Once you get past this fact, you will find an aboslute gem of an album. The chemistry is electric and there is not one average song here. It totally rocks!
Thier best album since Lean Into It.
4 and 1/2 stars from me!

5.0 out of 5 stars awesome cd, 25 July 2011
This review is from: What If (CD + DVD) (Audio CD)
Thought it would be a little heavy, but having played it most days on the way to work for the last month i love it. once upon a time being my favourite track which i tend to play a couple of times on the belt.What If (CD + DVD)

5.0 out of 5 stars Back with a stunning album!, 22 July 2011
S. Buchan "Magpie" (Consett) - See all my reviews
This review is from: What If (CD + DVD) (Audio CD)
I was never really a Mr Big fan back in the 80's/90's as they just didn't do it for me when compared to the likes of Aerosmith & Motley Crue etc. However I began listening to them again a few months back & have since picked up almost all of their CDs including this one and I have to say, why oh why didn't I pay more attention to them years ago!! What an album, great tunes, fantastic vocals and in Bill Sheehan & Paul Gilbert they have two of the very best musicians in the rock business. The guitar & bass in this album are sensational & easily steal the show from Martin, whose vocals are fantastic I have to add! I'm now well & truly a fan & have a ticket for their upcoming gig in Newcastle! Roll on 13th September!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars They're back!!, 2 July 2011
This review is from: What If (CD + DVD) (Audio CD)
It's great to see that Mr. Big are back! This album has some hues of oldies like 'Lean into it' and their debut album. No so early nineties, though! It's a good development of their rock sound, and Eric Martin does sound pretty much as he always has.

4.0 out of 5 stars decent, 16 May 2011
Craig Pritchard "zibafu" (manchester - united kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: What If (CD + DVD) (Audio CD)
I wouldn't say this is as good as their old stuff, but it is a good listen, worth the purchase.

4.0 out of 5 stars A welcome return, 18 Feb 2011
P. Salmon (St Helens England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: What If (CD + DVD) (Audio CD)
From the opening track I felt a familiar smile upon my face.
The quality is back, all the minor deviations that crept in after Hey Man seem to have been removed, and the whole album gives you what you want.
I am not saying this is them just going over the same old stuff like AC DC but the feel is there that they are enjoying the creative act again.
I hope you won't think I am wrong.

What If (CD + DVD)
What If (CD + DVD) by Mr. Big (Audio CD - 2011)