5.0 out of 5 stars BG ultimate Multi Tool
Published 23 months ago by J . Gillespie

3.0 out of 5 stars Average - better than a cheap tool but not the best
Well I've been using this knife a little over 6 months and has seen some reasonable but not overly heavy use, and there are some good points and some rather not so good points (I wouldn't say bad, but not ideal).

The good:
Published on 9 Mar. 2013 by Ann C

5.0 out of 5 stars BG ultimate Multi Tool, 8 May 2013
This review is from: Bear Grylls Ultimate Multi-Tool (DIY & Tools)
This is a absolutely great multi tool, use it all the time and comes in very handy, has had a couple of dunts and drops but still works fine and is not even scratched, would recommend To any one looking for a top of the range multi tool, knifes and saw comes very sharp and all tools are superb, has all you need and this multi tool is just as good as a leatherman multi tool. Overall superb tool.

3.0 out of 5 stars Average - better than a cheap tool but not the best, 9 Mar. 2013
This review is from: Bear Grylls Ultimate Multi-Tool (DIY & Tools)

The good:
- The pliers are some of the best I have ever used, fantastic for one handed use as they're spring loaded, have a nice grip and meet precisely.
- The serrated blade is nice, sharp and works fantastic.
- The screwdriver bits are great, good long reach and not ground to a point so grip nicely. Also good as prying tools.
- Locking system is nice, although recent use has me thinking it's not quite as robust as a Leatherman tool (see the bad points).
- The feel in the hand is nice, feels sturdy, quite heavy (may be seen as bad in the pocket, but I prefer it).
- Accessible tools from the outside of the tool, so you don't need to open it up every time you need something.
- One handed deployment of the main blade and serrated blade.
- The scissors are one of the best I've seen, perhaps better than even Victorinox.
- Priorities of survival guide is quite a good addition.

The not so good:
- The lock on mine after 1 day of medium hard use has ended up with the serrated blade having a significant amount of vertical blade play.
- The saw is pitiful.
- The main blade has a completely flat edge, as such mine no longer has a point and is completely dull at the end.
- The steel isn't particularly great at holding an edge, due to a soft steel, though this makes it easy to sharpen.
- The sheathe isn't great, the pouch that holds the 'priorities of survival guide' ripped easily and it's only got a small piece of Velcro to hold it shut.

This isn't a bad first tool, or something for light use, but the Bear Grylls endorsement usually goes down a hit... On every field work visit it's usually the running joke about Bear Grylls, so don't expect to look 'cool'. Another thing, this is a re-skin of the Gerber Suspension, although this is much nicer in the hand.

Other tools to consider are the Leatherman Wingman and Sidekick, as these are around the same price. For RRP though, Leatherman's are far better, but at this price, you can't really go far wrong.

5.0 out of 5 stars so much more user friendly, 7 Feb. 2012
This review is from: Bear Grylls Ultimate Multi-Tool (DIY & Tools)
Having lost my trusty leatherman after many years of alsorts of use, i had a look around for its replacement. The leatherman was durable granted but awful to use in cold weather, wet weather or with gloves on. This feels so much better in the hand, and whilst the blades are shorter and smaller than my old leatherman, it will see more use, it is easier to handle and the blade locking system is much easier to use and leaves me less fearful of having to re-attach lost digits each time i do.

2.0 out of 5 stars The build quality is also very poor, I received the tool as an Xmas gift ..., 1 Jan. 2015
This review is from: Bear Grylls Ultimate Multi-Tool (DIY & Tools)
The tool itself is up to the Gerber high standard as are all their products. The belt loop case on the other hand is a very different story. There are several tools that have been specifically designed for one handed use and they work well, shame then that it is virtually impossible to re holster the tool in the belt loop case without using both hands due to an internal pocket designed to store the essentials of survival booklet. The problem caused by this pocket makes me wonder if the design crew at Gerber have ever tried to re holster the tool with one hand with the case mounted on their belt, If they have and they still let the design go out of the door then my opinion of them has gone down hill rapidly. The build quality is also very poor, I received the tool as an Xmas gift from my son and having done nothing more with it than take it out of the case a dozen times to show it off, the Velcro patch which holds the case securing flap closed is hanging on by a thread due to poor stitching.
I would like to think that Bear had absolutely nothing to do with this case design as I find it hard to believe that any practical person that relies on their gear would consider this case acceptable. That said, I think he must have thought the case was great because he allowed them to put his name and corporate logo on the product in no less than six places, obviously more thought went into the branding than the design. Shame on you Bear Grylls for letting this product carry your endorsement.

Paul Morgan (Previously a fan)

5.0 out of 5 stars Best multitool I've ever had. Will buy again, 29 Jan. 2015
This review is from: Bear Grylls Ultimate Multi-Tool (DIY & Tools)
Bought this a year ago and it's hands down the best multitool I've ever had. The tools lock in place so it won't chop your fingers off by retracting when leaning into screw something. All implements are high quality and still work after a year of good use. Be careful using the straight blade near hard surfaces as denting or blunting is easy but the serrated blade is durable. Only problem is the saw the teeth are too small for my liking and it's about an inch too short for any real use but I have never needed a small saw so I just ignore it.

3.0 out of 5 stars SO-SO, but good at the price, 2 Jan. 2013
D. F. Gillies "donnyhiab" (Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bear Grylls Ultimate Multi-Tool (DIY & Tools)
After over 15 years with both the original Leatherman Wave( loved it) and revised version ( had some bits better, still loved the original) of the Wave, I decided I would give the Gerber BG a try...Liked the marketing and had swift delivery from Amazon.
However sadly the BG fulfils only a couple of expectations, one of which was the shorter blades ( I tend to always carry a multi tool both at work and play, its only off my belt when I dress to go out of an evening!)to avoid possible legal issues.
Generally it has a nicer pliers action for holding and using, no nipping skin between the handles ( a big leatherman wave problem) and I really like the spring opening on the pliers...however that is probably the only things I like.
The Gerber BG is clumsier to take out of sheath and deploy a blade with one hand, partly because it fits the sheath upside down, if that makes sense, and partly because the opening grips are hard to work with your thumb, especially if cold and wet ( often my other hand is holding what I wish to cut, or controlling something!)For guaranteed quick blade deploying single hand use Wave is still king. The Wave can be removed, blade opened Plain or serrated, used, unlocked, closed and returned to sheave without it leaving the grip of your hand .
While this could be construed as unsafe, and has other connotations more in the realm of Special Services...however when you are in a hurry with ( e.g.)an entangled animal, seconds matter). Fumbling around, dropping or placing it on the ground may not be an option and over open water could mean the loss of an expensive knife!
Also, the Sheath is terrible. I've already removed the BG interior partition for the survival booklet ( Laugh..great for kids but poor presentation, it might have been better on waterproof paper!) It took fingers of both hands to hold sheath partition apart to replace the multi tool safely ( I know it has lanyard rings, but dislike the entanglement risk of a cord around my neck).
Further more, discussing the tools, the scissors are poor ( Leatherman Wave are excellent) and the BG screwdrivers barely adequate ( Again Wave screwdrivers even without purchasing the extra "Bits" are excellent. It also lacks a file!
I do tend to use all the tools frequently and had purchased the Gerber BG to cover while my Wave is away for repair ( snapped the nose off the pliers trying to lever out a hydraulic coupling spring) and now unwilling to pay even discounted price for the latest equivalent.
However I would have been unhappy paying more than the £30 ish I paid for the BG. If I was paying around £60-£70 which is the more usual price in Climbing shops, I would be back looking at discounted Leatherman products.
As I have only had the tool for a couple of weeks, I am unable to assess how sharp the blades will stay in once in regular use, furthermore the can opener has still to be used and it's a bit odd looking ( I hope it is the can opener).

All in all, nice equipment at a good price on Amazon, for anyone looking for a useful quality multi-tool, with pliers as a main priority. It has proper locking action on the tools and blades which I consider essential.
However is let down by some detail work on some tools( which could be personal preference) and feeble excuse for a sheath. I have purchased the cheaper ( Non BG) version for my wife, from Amazon, for £18 which I feel is a good price against the probable use it may get.

5.0 out of 5 stars Gerber......, 15 July 2011
This review is from: Bear Grylls Ultimate Multi-Tool (DIY & Tools)
After a mix up with UPS my Gerber arived from the USA. I already have the great Gerber Suspension multi-tool. Be Aware...Bear Grylls Ultimate Multi-Tool and their Suspension multi-tool are the same!.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very high quality bit of kit, 16 Feb. 2015
This review is from: Bear Grylls Ultimate Multi-Tool (DIY & Tools)
I was quite surprised at the quality of this tool. Very high quality metals used and the product just feels good and well balanced in the hand. Blades are intensely sharp and the pliers grip extremely well. I bought this tool for fishing and to help me look after fishing line, end tackle etc and it is absolutely what I needed.

4.0 out of 5 stars Sweet, 2 Nov. 2011
This review is from: Bear Grylls Ultimate Multi-Tool (DIY & Tools)
Excelent bit of kit for the money. Well made and everything comes sharp, even the saw. The only downside is the lanyard ring... Why? especially as it comes with a case for your belt (which can be put on 2 ways which is handy). A file would have been a better idea. All the blades lock when there out which means no pinched or cut fingers. All in all a superb buy

2.0 out of 5 stars The sissors are a bit rubbish as the spring pings off when under pressure poor design. Other than that happy with it, 14 July 2014
T