5.0 out of 5 stars edimax usb adapter
Published on 14 Oct 2011 by malt65

3.0 out of 5 stars Installation issues (solution found?) (Humax covered also)
I noticed that some people had a good experience with this and others not so good. I believe this may be due to whether or not you already have wi-fi working on your PC pefore installing this adapter.

I installed on a desktop PC running Vista 64. Previously I had been using a wired connection. I first of all downloaded the latest drivers from the Edimax site...
Published on 1 Nov 2011 by Stuartb3502

5.0 out of 5 stars edimax usb adapter, 14 Oct 2011
This review is from: Edimax EW-7612UAN 300Mbps Wireless 802.11b/g/n USB Adapter (Accessory)
i knew nothing about this product only that i wanted to move my computer upstairs without having a telephone line installed,i did a little research but they all claimed to be the best thing since sliced bread so i decided to go with the amazon customer reviews. i have no regrets about this decision the adapter arrived in the time promised the setup could not have went smoother,it has been running for two months now without a hitch the quality and speed are everything that were promised.so thanks to those of you who took time to revue this product.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wireless as it should be, 15 Feb 2010
Thomas Hansen (Denmark) - See all my reviews
This was bougth to replace another wireless adapter, that had some problems with windows 7. This edimax is found and installed by windows 7 without no problems at all. With the old usb adapter i had 36-48 Mbps, with signal quality around 2-3. This wonderfull adapter reaches 65 Mbps, and with a signal quality on 5 (sometimes, but not very often it dips to 4).
You can install some bundled edimax software that allows you to configure all the same settings as you can in windows 7. I havent used it in windows 7, only tested it with an old windows xp installation. And by the way, the adapter works perfectly in windows xp.
I'm so happy about this product, having finally fixed my problems with the wireless connection between my router and my primary computer.

4.0 out of 5 stars Connected to Humax Fox T2, 16 Jan 2012
Mr. W. M. Thomas "W T" (Oxford) - See all my reviews
Bought to connect to Humax HDR Fox T2 PVR box. Works very well, simple to set up. Much cheaper than the Humax dongle.

4.0 out of 5 stars Signal where there was no signal before, 13 July 2009
M. A. Cann - See all my reviews
Before buying this product there were always certain places at home where we lost signal from the wireless router when using the laptop. I have to say I bought this adapter more in hope than anything else, but im very pleased with the results. I can now say that there is nowhere in the house now that we dont get some kind of coverage and the best thing now is I can sit out on the patio and use my laptop. Easy to install too well well done Edimax !

5.0 out of 5 stars Does what it says on the tin - and quite well, 24 April 2009
Mr. Stephen Kennedy "skenn1701a" (Doha, Qatar) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Tested on?
Compaq C700 Presario note book PC (with inbuilt Wi-Fi turned off)

What does it do? What's it for?
USB dongle for PCs/Macs that don't have inbuilt Wi-Fi to connect to wireless networks.

What's in the box?
Installation CD.
USB extension cable with an USB desktop mount/stand (primarily needed for a desktop PC).
USB Wi-Fi dongle with short aerial.

Installation:
Turned off Wi-Fi on my notebook PC and installed dongle into a USB port. Found New Hardware wizard prompted me for the installation CD with drivers. Inserted CD and followed the prompts. Software couldn't find the driver, so not so easy after all. While I was wondering what to do next, eventually an Ezimax install wizard from the CD started and installation proceeded.

A user manual and quick guide are provided on the CD.

Use:
Scanning for Wi-Fi networks located far more than my inbuilt equipment. Located my network and added my network key and quickly connected. A wireless utility shows network strength, status and signal strength.
Even though I was connected to my network, initially there was no internet access; no e-mail or web browser. A reboot fixed that issue.
Web browsing and e-mail work normally and the signal seems robust. Taking my notebook PC outside wasn't an issue and the signal remained strong and robust.

Uninstallation.
Even though this is a good piece of kit, I didn't really need it on my notebook PC. From control panel I was able to identify the Edi Wireless LAN software and click uninstall. Windows security checked I really wanted to do this and an uninstall wizard did the rest. A reboot was required afterwards.

Conclusions.
Fit for purpose, easy to use and seems to have better reception than inbuilt Wi-Fi LAN cards. Recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Still the best wifi usb dongle, 18 Dec 2009
Mr. Stephen Powell (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I buy alot of these, I install them on customers computers and use one at home too. They are still the best. Robust, reliable connection, and useful for low signal situations, eg where the router is a distance from the target machine. Highly recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good for Mac OS X, Great Price, 9 Jan 2009
This is a really well priced adapter especially giving an older Apple Mac wireless capability or indeed upgrading beyond older Airport wireless cards to operate with more modern wireless routers with higher WPA/WPA2 encryption.
I use it wlth a 2001 vintage iMac G4 which only has USB 1.1 - but don't expect it to be as fast as with USB 2.0.
The only downside is that there is no accompanying literature to help with the install - it's all on the CD, see 'Driver-Utility for Mac', open the dmg disk image and select your version of Mac OS X.
However if you have 10.4 Tiger, beware the driver on the disk doesn't work and you need to download: USB RT2870 version from [...]
Find USBWirelessUtility in your Applications folder and run it before plugging the adapter into your USB.
Set-up is fairly automatic - just go to 'Site Survey', to select your router, then 'Add Profile', and then enter your WEP/WPA key under 'Authentification & Security'.

4.0 out of 5 stars This adaptor performs as well as it looks, 28 Feb 2009
Whatchamacallit (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The Edimax is of a higher quality than I'd originally expected; in fact it is quite impressive. The adaptor itself is completely contained within the USB stick and aerial so there's nothing else to clutter your desk or carry around. However, it is also supplied with a smart extender unit which you can place up to 1 metre from your computer to extend the range of the adaptor. Both are made of `iPod white' coloured plastic.
I have been using the Edimax adaptor with a one year old laptop computer which is running on Windows Vista, and a Netgear DG834N router. The laptop has it's own built in wifi too which has allowed me to compare the Edimax against it. Installation was fairly simple following the supplied software cd, and in my viewthe Edimax software is actually better than the standard networking software as supplied with Windows Vista. It gives a far better idea of what's actually happening with your network than Vista does and for that reason I'd recommend installing the Edimax software too.
As far as increased range goes I found that it wasn't massively better (when connected straight into the laptop) than the built in equipment in terms of detecting the signal. The difference does come in making the most of that signal though, which is where the Edimax shines as it maintains a better transfer rate than normally achieved when the signal is weak. It is certainly far better than the other USB adaptors I've tried in terms of performance and also in terms of appearance.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent piece of kit., 25 Sep 2012
Geordie "Les L" (Cheshire, England) - See all my reviews
Title says it all really. Plug it in, Humax HDR-FOX in my case, press 'Menu' and navigate to the wifi settings, select the required network to enter the password and that's it. Out of the box and working in just a couple of minutes and about one third the price of the Humax dongle.

5.0 out of 5 stars Linux user, 18 Nov 2011
This device does not work "out-of-the-box" with Linux latest release of Fedora 16, however, there are 2 possible solutions. The first may be to use ndiswrapper (this I did not try, but usually works ok), the second, which does work is to download the latest kernel (in my case version 3.1) and recompile the staging drivers for it - works well now.

Edimax EW-7612UAN 300Mbps Wireless 802.11b/g/n USB Adapter