on 26 March 2011
If, like me, you have just come over to Mac from Windows and have had no experience with Mac, then this book is an ideal help. It clearly explains the differences between the functions of Windows and Mac in easy-to-understand short chapters.

The author puts everything into plain English without trying to be a comedian (oh, how I detest authors of guide books who try to inject humour into their work, and fail in all respects).

It is a fairly short book split into 5 sections:

Section 1 - Mac: It just works
Section 2 - Making The switch
Section 3 - The Basics
Section 4 - Getting the Most Out Of Mac
Section 5 - Maintenance

It also has a list of the twnety most useful FREE downloads for Mac with web addresses.

If you have had some experience of Mac but want a more indepth guide to using the Mac OS (current latest is "Snow Leopard") then I would recommend Switching to the Mac: The Missing Manual, Snow Leopard Edition
or (slightly even more indepth): Mac OS X Snow Leopard: The Missing Manual (Missing Manuals)
on 11 July 2014
This was a very helpful book for me in starting out with a mac, clear and jargon free steps to get going in the mac world
on 17 November 2013
The writer is to the point . He has written about what the readers need. There is nothing that I disliked. I hope that the writer will update the book as the MC book will improve .
on 27 October 2015
This was my first E book. Bought having just acquired a MacBook laptop and needing some visual directions after using MS Windows for many years. Brilliant concept in being able to download to my IPad making it a good reference facility. Still have a lot to learn. My only criticism is that this book is based on the older Leopard OS, I'm now having to learn how to understand the latest El Capitan OS.
on 15 March 2012
Oh dear! Bought the Kindle version, and as I started reading it, I thought it was just what I was after; clear, well-explained, non-technical... Then I decided to look something up, and found there was no index and no list of contents! Really useful in a reference book!
on 18 February 2015
The only fault is when the author occasionally assumes that the reader has more technical knowledge than he actually has. This is usually on minor operations.
on 5 March 2015
Lots of stuff in here, I am working my way through and it is proving invaluable. Lots of long words though!
on 20 May 2015
Having used Windows for years, this guide is perfect to help with the transition....which it is.
on 24 April 2015
Good info and just what I wanted.
on 15 May 2014
Generally OK, but not enough space devoted to iPhoto, and the transfer of photo files from PC to Mac. Just about useful.