5.0 out of 5 stars hmmmm
Not quite what was expected, a good book but more of an amateur read than a true "journey " beneath our country.
Published 22 months ago by philarelli

1.0 out of 5 stars Not good
This was an interesting subject but the book doesn't do it justice. It is written in a jokey style & most of the content comes from other authors. A lot of the places are not even underground. Don't waste your money here.
Published on 1 Jun 2009 by David

1.0 out of 5 stars Not good, 1 Jun 2009

1.0 out of 5 stars Underground England, 2 July 2009
Paul Foster (Middle of the Atlantic) - See all my reviews
Too little genuine information buried under too many attempts to write something witty. The attempted humour often only loosely conected with the subject.

2.0 out of 5 stars meh., 24 May 2009
William Gillooley (Dublin, Ireland) - See all my reviews
If you're looking for a descriptive, informative guide to subterranean spaces... you won't be finding it here.

Disapointing...

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 29 Dec 2009
I had read negative reviews about the book but thought that I might see things more favourably as I am quite an enthusiast for all things underground. I was wrong. The book is short on relevant substance and long on historical and other diversions; it is not easy to weave this content into a tale with the same fluidity and excitement of a Bill Bryson or John Hillaby - and this book certainly proves the point. In one spell of boredom as Smith proves that he can use many words where one would suffice (and would allow him to squeeze in something interesting), I thought he must have been dipping into his thesaurus; guess what, he later apologises for just this. There is a notable reference to Nick McCamley, also a writer about the subterranean world, as 'pathologically detailed' - a useful reminder that, if you'd like a book containing fascinating facts on the subject, you should buy McCamley's. Strangely, 'Underground England' seems to include quite a lot that is merely underwater. There are some interesting details and entertaining passages in Smith's book but not enough.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not exactly what it says on the tin, 19 July 2010
David Carr - See all my reviews
I have really mixed emotions about this book. Much of the writing is very smart and witty, but ultimately it is long winded and only loosely connected with the subterranean. Or completely unconnected, like the lengthy section on the life of Frankie Howerd (I kid you not). Some sections are thoroughly intriguing, but these come all too rarely amidst the rather uninteresting personal anecdotes.

Having read the other reviews, I tracked this book down through the local library and was very glad I didn't spend my hard-earned cash on it. One to borrow, one to dip into, not one to buy.

1.0 out of 5 stars Few details padded out with waffle, 30 April 2010
I was so disappointed by this book. It provided the author with an opportunity to tell some fascinting fact packed stories about underground places yet singularly fails to do that. The writing still is overly descriptive and flowery to the point that it becomes confusing as to where and what the writing is about. Truly, the author appears to have taken a thesaurus and challenged himself not to use the same word twice! There is an entire mini chapter about Frankie Howerd and I'm still totally confused about how this is relevant to underground England. I'd save your money and avoid this book.

1.0 out of 5 stars I concur........ A dissapointment., 8 Sep 2010
After reading Underground London I was looking forward to more of the same. I even ignored the Amazon reviews. I should have taken notice. I haven't even the will to finish it. I am glad I found it in a cheap book shop.
Charity shop ahoy!

3.0 out of 5 stars Travels beneath, 26 Mar 2010
It was very difficult to read! Terribly verbose and romanticised, the author takes far more pleasure from his use of tortured English than his informed accuracy. If you are looking for factual information this is not the book for you. If you are looking for a faintly enjoyable fill-in-the-blanks puff about a favourite subject, this could be what your looking for.

1.0 out of 5 stars as gripping as the undergound...on a strike day, 10 Jan 2013
Mr. A. Coates "cobweb" (Suffolk, UK) - See all my reviews
An object lesson in why certain (and by that I mean "lots of") words are not in common usage. Dull. Incomplete. Wasted opportunity. Wasted money. If Waterstones offered a money back if unhappy scheme I'd be on my way there now. Quite fancied Underground London. Shan't bother now.

5.0 out of 5 stars hmmmm, 24 Sep 2012