on 26 April 2014
A fact based account of the hellish conditions faced by soldiers serving on the Eastern Front
His journals were smuggled back to his family during leave.
I was surprised at Han's depth of understanding about circumstances surrounding some of the battles that he fought in, which include diagrams of front line positions and Soviet attacks!
This is the daily journals of a German soldier who never made it back. Released by his grand daughter. Its the most graphic and personal record I have come across and made all the more moving as you know he never comes home. Well worth reading in order to understand what these poor men went through
on 29 November 2012
Probably the most accurate first hand account of fighting on the Eastern Front I have ever read, and belive me I had read a few
on 4 November 2013
i bought this for my boyfriend he has finished it so i will have to buy him another book he loved it so much
on 5 April 2016
My brother bought it and since he's a WW2 aficionado, he loved this one.
on 5 July 2013
It very accurately follows in the first person, the treks and pain,anguishes of a Tank Support soldier. Many books of this sort painfully and badly try to recount detailed conversations. This book doesn't do that but every step made is real, and when he shelters from mortar fire in trenches it is easy to imagine the sharp brick dust pouring down the back of your neck.

I found the book through reference to the Russian city of Voronezh, which was probably justified like Stalingrad (now Volgograd) in being awarded hero status. A very bitter battle took place and civilian and troop casualties were very high. Only difference is that at Voronezh, no German Field Marshall and his army group were surrounded and effectively annihilated. This book doesn't spend much time on Voronezh but it doesn't make the book disappointing. I read it from front to back ...
on 9 July 2015
At the moment I am reading German soldiers' accounts about their experiences on the Eastern Front.

After reading the reviews I decided to give this book a try. Unfortunately I found this book disappointing as it does not go into great detail of the events that he took part in. I understand it wasn't written as a novel because it is written by a soldier during the events he experienced, however I feel it skips over the details that would have made this account interesting. I find myself board and want to skip to the interesting bits but I persevere continue to be disappointed page after page. Perhaps the editors decided to leave out any graphic details, who knows.

I'd recommend avoiding this book.
22 comments|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 24 March 2016
Firery Stuff
on 15 December 2015
very pleased
on 9 June 2013
Chronicling his day to day experiences on the eastern front the author captures vividly the horrors of war and the misery of the average landser. A thoroughly recommend read.