Size: XX-Large|Colour: Black|Change

on 1 March 2013
Having just received these trousers, this is only an initial review.

I bought them for golfing and have tried them on over my usual golfwear. Although the trousers aren't lined, the fabric (described on the manufacturers website as AB-TEX tri-laminate) is not lightweight. They are fairly substantial weighing in at 400 grams (large size) compared to lightweight over-trousers which typically vary anywhere from 130 - 300 grams.

Playing in near zero degree temperatures lately (February), I usually wear long johns under my golf trousers, but I can imagine these being a bit too warm and cumbersome if I had to put them on as over-trousers half-way through a round. I would be more inclined to think about wearing these from the start with one less layer, but they would really need to live up to their breathable claim otherwise.

The fabric is slightly textured on the inside and will create a bit of friction against any layers worn underneath. This is fine for walking, but might not be so comfortable for running or cycling.

They have a decent 12" leg zip so you can get them on whilst wearing golf shoes, but if your shoes are muddy the mud will get on the inside, which in turn will get on your trousers underneath. Not so good for wearing over your work trousers for that cheeky afternoon round. This is true to some extent for most over-trousers, but many are less textured/smoother on the inside and mud is less likely to stick to the fabric.

The main reasons I bought these particular trousers were price and breathability. At £21 they are great value especially if they are as breathable as claimed. My old motorbike over-trousers were soaking inside with sweat/condensation after 18 holes in near zero temperatures.

The trousers are a good fit and not too baggy. A zip opening waistband would make them easier to get on in a hurry with shoes on and a back pocket (or two) would be a great addition. Otherwise, these are very good quality and I'm quite pleased with them on first impressions. I will update this review once I have tested them fully.

These trousers sit in between 2 others I was considering; Regatta Packaway II OverTrousers at £13 and Berghaus Deluge Waterproof Overtrousers at £40. The Regatta trousers don't fit over shoes very easily and the Berghaus trousers are twice the price, although they do seem like great trousers.

Dimensions for large size:
Waist: 14 - 21 inches
Inside leg seam: 30 inches
Outside leg seam inc waist band: 42 inches
Ankle hem: 9 inches
on 15 October 2014
I bought these for cycling in to work now that the weather has turned. I've used them for travelling through everything from light drizzle to English monsoon and i'm always bone dry underneath. I think the only thing drier would be a dry-suit for deep sea diving. The trousers and thick and durable, I have no worries about them breaking anytime soon. The way they are put together and the quality is excellent. The pockets, fasteners and straps feel well designed (as could be) and the item has an air of quality about it.

My only gripe is that they aren't as breathable as the description would have you believe. Don't get me wrong - its not like wearing clingfilm - but don't expect them to be cool and light. For me cycling its a bit of a pain, but i'm not willing to pay more than £20-odd for a pair of overtrousers so I put up with it.

These get 5 stars because they are excellent at this price point. 10/10 waterproofing, 10/10 durability, 3/10 breathability, 10/10 price.
on 10 November 2014
I spend a lot of time outdoors in all weathers and seem to go through several pairs of waterproofs a year climbing through scrub and ditches, I'm an ecologist so fieldwork all weathers is the norm. I bought a Highlander cap last year and was really impressed, the trousers didn't disappoint same good quality for a very good price, they are breathable to a degree, the Velcro allows adjustment at the boot which can then be left as the zip is independent allowing removal very easily. Would definitely recommend these and will buy again. Incidentally the price has risen since my purchase but still worth the money
on 18 January 2013
Sprang a leak on the seam not happy.They look a good quality and I expected better a refund would be apprieciated
on 2 February 2013
Wear for dog walking; great purchase. Efficient for what i need them. Definitely recommend them. Fit well and keep my legs warm and dry.
on 13 November 2012
I bought these trousers to go with the jacket purchased elsewhere, which has been excellent so far. Having so far had a couple of decent tests in wet weather, they seem to hold up very well. They are well made and comfortable for walking without overheating, whilst keeping out the rain pretty well. They are heavier and bulkier than most modern waterproofs, but breathable. The only quibble about the trousers, even though I bought XXL and am quite slim, there is not really enough depth of material at below the waist, they really need to go a bit higher to prevent slipping down. The leg length was fine though. If they last really well, or quickly wear out, I will report back. The price seems very reasonable for the quality of the product. So far, almost 5*.
on 8 May 2014
Does exactly what it says it does.The quality of the fabric is amazing.Very thick,well made and very waterproof.I bought this for my daughter for a school water holiday,it stood up to the rigours of outdoors easily.It's on the big size,but i had to buy a small adults,as i couldnt see anything of this quality on any other pages.If i had anything negative to say,it would be that it doesn't exactly match the jacket (which i also bought) but who cares.i didn't buy it for that.Fully recommend to anyone.
on 2 March 2014
Excellent value for the money. Well made and good fit. My husband is a farmer and at the moment is wearing them all day in all sorts of conditions and they are holding up really well. Would recommend and will purchase again.
on 23 January 2015
Bought these for my fishing. I have had a few top fishing branded sets of clothing over the years and not only do you pay over the odds they also never stay waterproof for very long. These might not have the fashionable look of much of the fishing clothing available out there but they are superb. They fit well and I have been out in a couple of big downpours and they have kept me totally dry. If I get a couple of years out of them at the price I will be more than happy.
on 11 March 2015
Admittedly the description did not say there were leg zips, but the picture definitely shows them and most reviewers mention them, so it was disappointing that there weren't any. Without them, they are far too narrow to either get a wellington boot through the leg whilst you are wearing them or to even get the bottom of the leg opening over the top of the wellies before you put them on. Had to return them.