4.0 out of 5 stars Possibly better as trousers rather than over-trousers
Having just received these trousers, this is only an initial review.

Published 13 months ago by Jay G

2.0 out of 5 stars Leaking seams
Sprang a leak on the seam not happy.They look a good quality and I expected better a refund would be apprieciated
Published 15 months ago by Louise Barnes l barnes

4.0 out of 5 stars Possibly better as trousers rather than over-trousers, 1 Mar 2013
Jay G (Windsor, UK) - See all my reviews
Having just received these trousers, this is only an initial review.

I bought them for golfing and have tried them on over my usual golfwear. Although the trousers aren't lined, the fabric (described on the manufacturers website as AB-TEX tri-laminate) is not lightweight. They are fairly substantial weighing in at 400 grams (large size) compared to lightweight over-trousers which typically vary anywhere from 130 - 300 grams.

Playing in near zero degree temperatures lately (February), I usually wear long johns under my golf trousers, but I can imagine these being a bit too warm and cumbersome if I had to put them on as over-trousers half-way through a round. I would be more inclined to think about wearing these from the start with one less layer, but they would really need to live up to their breathable claim otherwise.

The fabric is slightly textured on the inside and will create a bit of friction against any layers worn underneath. This is fine for walking, but might not be so comfortable for running or cycling.

They have a decent 12" leg zip so you can get them on whilst wearing golf shoes, but if your shoes are muddy the mud will get on the inside, which in turn will get on your trousers underneath. Not so good for wearing over your work trousers for that cheeky afternoon round. This is true to some extent for most over-trousers, but many are less textured/smoother on the inside and mud is less likely to stick to the fabric.

The main reasons I bought these particular trousers were price and breathability. At 21 they are great value especially if they are as breathable as claimed. My old motorbike over-trousers were soaking inside with sweat/condensation after 18 holes in near zero temperatures.

The trousers are a good fit and not too baggy. A zip opening waistband would make them easier to get on in a hurry with shoes on and a back pocket (or two) would be a great addition. Otherwise, these are very good quality and I'm quite pleased with them on first impressions. I will update this review once I have tested them fully.

These trousers sit in between 2 others I was considering; Regatta Packaway II OverTrousers at 13 and Berghaus Deluge Waterproof Overtrousers at 40. The Regatta trousers don't fit over shoes very easily and the Berghaus trousers are twice the price, although they do seem like great trousers.

Dimensions for large size:
Waist: 14 - 21 inches
Inside leg seam: 30 inches
Outside leg seam inc waist band: 42 inches
Ankle hem: 9 inches

5.0 out of 5 stars well worth buying, 2 Feb 2013
Wear for dog walking; great purchase. Efficient for what i need them. Definitely recommend them. Fit well and keep my legs warm and dry.

2.0 out of 5 stars Leaking seams, 18 Jan 2013

4.0 out of 5 stars Robust waterproofs, very good value, 13 Nov 2012
I bought these trousers to go with the jacket purchased elsewhere, which has been excellent so far. Having so far had a couple of decent tests in wet weather, they seem to hold up very well. They are well made and comfortable for walking without overheating, whilst keeping out the rain pretty well. They are heavier and bulkier than most modern waterproofs, but breathable. The only quibble about the trousers, even though I bought XXL and am quite slim, there is not really enough depth of material at below the waist, they really need to go a bit higher to prevent slipping down. The leg length was fine though. If they last really well, or quickly wear out, I will report back. The price seems very reasonable for the quality of the product. So far, almost 5*.

5.0 out of 5 stars Waterproof Trousers, 2 Mar 2014
Excellent value for the money. Well made and good fit. My husband is a farmer and at the moment is wearing them all day in all sorts of conditions and they are holding up really well. Would recommend and will purchase again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent!, 13 Feb 2014
In normal trousers, I am a short leg with a 33 inch waist and these trousers (medium) fit me perfectly, with just enough overhang to keep water out of the top of my shoes (wind permitting!). They have been used everyday since purchased for dog walking and have seen plenty of wind and rain. They have kept me very dry and are comfortable to wear. The two zip pockets are a bonus.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hard Wearing and Durable, 16 Jan 2014
I have a gardening business and require hardwearing and warm clothes. I have now been using the Highlander Tempest Waterproof Trousers for a couple of months and they have been excellent, providing both warmth and waterproofness, they are also extremely comfortable to wear!

5.0 out of 5 stars VERY PLEASED, 24 Oct 2013
JUST WHAT I WANTED,DELIVERED BEFORE DATE GIVEN WELL PACKAGED.
PERFECT FOR ANYONE WHO WORKS OUTSIDE AS THEY`RE LIGHT WEIGHT EASY TO MOVE IN AND WATERPROOF

5.0 out of 5 stars superb, 16 July 2013
This is my second pair of these trousers i work outdoors and most waterproofs rip easily but these are tough and very good at keeping the water out i have also just purchased the tempest jacket aswell and seems to be made just as well.

5.0 out of 5 stars To keep me dry, 8 Aug 2013
P. Iddon (England) - See all my reviews
I like these too, look a bit green in them with the olive jacket but its ok, I have not worn them yet, intend to wear on holiday if needed in September.

ARRAY(0x11330d98)