on 29 February 2012
I have really enjoyed this book, and it has re-Kindled (sorry) my interest in reading the Bible. I can get so caught up in the detail of, particularly, a biblical story that I can't see the wood for the trees in the end, and if, like me, you suffer from a loss of concentration through illness, the whole exercise can become very daunting, if not impossible. This book has enabled me to step back, look at the overview of a specific book, then feel confident to examine the details of particular interest to me, in my own Bible, without losing a firm grip on the relevance of the passage and its place in history. I can't express too strongly how valuable this book has been to me.
on 11 March 2012
Being an Athiest I find I have to know the bible better than friends who are believers. Whatever your calling this gives a totally fresh insite into the Bible and I think it wouldn't be a bad idea if it was used in schools. For what it cost get it and read with an open mind and you will quite suprised at what you discover. In fact if I was filthy rich I would send a copy to everyone.
44 comments|27 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 12 April 2011
A wonderful book for anyone who wants a bit more background to the Bible but doesn't want to wade through pages and pages. I'd say this would be a good introduction to the Bible, and also useful for those who know the Book well. The "Quotable" sections are a good start for study or meditation and the "Unique and Unusual" sections highlight the particular book's notable points. Even just having the date of writing clearly stated under a heading makes it more memorable. I think the author has done a marvellous job and I would highly recommend this book.
0Comment|109 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 4 January 2012
This is a very unusual book but also one that is very helpfl if you are not that familiar with the bible as a whole.
What it does is to summarise each and every book in the bible by saying what it is about, (in ten words or less) who supposedly wrote it, who probably actually wrote it, when it was written, a famous quotation from it.
Something that is unique or unusual from it and lastly a "so what?" section which is a sort of last word from the book.
Each summary only takes up a few pages so you can easily get a basic idea very quickly. You can then get a more meaningful interpretation from a fuller reading later.
t's also quite a fun introduction to the bible!
on 20 February 2012
very good buy describes the bible in simple precise terms for the learner, can be used with are without the bible
on 22 March 2012
Good read for a beginner or if you just want to understand the bible better. i would recommend it to somebody else.
on 8 May 2011
This doesn't claim to be other than what it is: a summery of the books of the Bible and in a short space it does this very well. There will always be a balence between summery and detail, and I feel this is a good basic, introductory level. It provides a good launchpad to go and read the full passages.

My only complaint is that the quotations section doesn't contain may of the more famous or, in my opinion, pertinent, quotations. None of the more contentious lines are included, instead leaving a slanted overall impression that the Bible is 100% candyfloss, whereas there are some aspects which can raise intelligent critical discussion. Then again this is just a basic summery!

But, overall, a worthwhile purchase.
on 22 August 2011
This is great for quick reference or little facts you want to know.
The section for each book is not long and only skims the surface, so for deep study it is not suitable. But for a beginner or someone studying the Bible it is ideal.
on 19 April 2012
Very Good and helpful book. It was very beneficial to have the Kindle version as it gave me immediate access
on 12 February 2015
For someone who is new to reading the bible the brief synopsis of each book prepares one for understanding the text better. The quotes are also good and can help crystallize pertinent sections of the content. I'm not too sure about the the 'So What'. Nothing controversial here but I like to make my own mind up and disagree with some of the interpretations. Overall, an interesting and relaxing way to approach the content and fairly even and unbiased in its interpretation. I'd. certainly recommend this as a study aid for anyone who is interested.