5.0 out of 5 stars A clearer perspective
Published on 29 Feb 2012 by J. R. Daniels

2.0 out of 5 stars Not nearly enough
Ok at this price I was hardly expecting a long scholarly tome, but I was hoping for rather more than a few paragraphs per book which tell me little more than the intros to the books in my current Bible. Possibly good for a beginner, but that's all.
Published 17 months ago by hodgheg

5.0 out of 5 stars A clearer perspective, 29 Feb 2012
J. R. Daniels "JRD" (Norfolk, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Know Your Bible: All 66 Books Explained and Applied (Value Books) (Kindle Edition)
I have really enjoyed this book, and it has re-Kindled (sorry) my interest in reading the Bible. I can get so caught up in the detail of, particularly, a biblical story that I can't see the wood for the trees in the end, and if, like me, you suffer from a loss of concentration through illness, the whole exercise can become very daunting, if not impossible. This book has enabled me to step back, look at the overview of a specific book, then feel confident to examine the details of particular interest to me, in my own Bible, without losing a firm grip on the relevance of the passage and its place in history. I can't express too strongly how valuable this book has been to me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Clear, concise, helpful - a useful book - a joy to use, 12 April 2011
A wonderful book for anyone who wants a bit more background to the Bible but doesn't want to wade through pages and pages. I'd say this would be a good introduction to the Bible, and also useful for those who know the Book well. The "Quotable" sections are a good start for study or meditation and the "Unique and Unusual" sections highlight the particular book's notable points. Even just having the date of writing clearly stated under a heading makes it more memorable. I think the author has done a marvellous job and I would highly recommend this book.

4.0 out of 5 stars A very little bit of every bible book, 4 Jan 2012
This is a very unusual book but also one that is very helpfl if you are not that familiar with the bible as a whole.
What it does is to summarise each and every book in the bible by saying what it is about, (in ten words or less) who supposedly wrote it, who probably actually wrote it, when it was written, a famous quotation from it.
Something that is unique or unusual from it and lastly a "so what?" section which is a sort of last word from the book.
Each summary only takes up a few pages so you can easily get a basic idea very quickly. You can then get a more meaningful interpretation from a fuller reading later.
t's also quite a fun introduction to the bible!

5.0 out of 5 stars A very interesting read, 11 Mar 2012
D. W. Jones "Deacon Dell" (West Midlands UK) - See all my reviews
Being an Athiest I find I have to know the bible better than friends who are believers. Whatever your calling this gives a totally fresh insite into the Bible and I think it wouldn't be a bad idea if it was used in schools. For what it cost get it and read with an open mind and you will quite suprised at what you discover. In fact if I was filthy rich I would send a copy to everyone.

5.0 out of 5 stars know your bible, 20 Feb 2012
very good buy describes the bible in simple precise terms for the learner, can be used with are without the bible

4.0 out of 5 stars Overall a good product, 8 May 2011
This doesn't claim to be other than what it is: a summery of the books of the Bible and in a short space it does this very well. There will always be a balence between summery and detail, and I feel this is a good basic, introductory level. It provides a good launchpad to go and read the full passages.

My only complaint is that the quotations section doesn't contain may of the more famous or, in my opinion, pertinent, quotations. None of the more contentious lines are included, instead leaving a slanted overall impression that the Bible is 100% candyfloss, whereas there are some aspects which can raise intelligent critical discussion. Then again this is just a basic summery!

But, overall, a worthwhile purchase.

5.0 out of 5 stars Know Your Bible: All 66 Books Explained and Applied (VALUE BOOKS) [Kindle Edition], 22 Mar 2012
Good read for a beginner or if you just want to understand the bible better. i would recommend it to somebody else.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not nearly enough, 10 Nov 2012

4.0 out of 5 stars Too limited, 9 July 2011
C. MACPHAIL - See all my reviews
A useful little book if you know nothing about the Bible. In my case I was looking for a supplement to my own attemps to create a less formulaic approach but slightly fuller intro. So no criticisms really, but of limited use for me.

2.0 out of 5 stars A guide that is superficial, 26 Oct 2013
There is a need for a thumbnail guide to the books of the Bible, but this hardly scratches the surface. More information about the actual content of the books is required. Most of the Bible quotations from the books were unhelpful - they just seem like padding. Not a recommended purchase.

ARRAY(0xa7235fa8)