5.0 out of 5 stars Great phone for my elderly mother
Published on 31 Oct 2011 by APBH

3.0 out of 5 stars Great phone for seniors but USB charger lets it down
Published on 29 Nov 2010 by Eileen

3.0 out of 5 stars Great phone for seniors but USB charger lets it down, 29 Nov 2010
This review is from: BC5i Big Button Sim Free Senior Telephone - Black (Electronics)
Would have given this phone a 4 or 5 star had it not been for the charger issue mentioned in the previous review. Great basic phone for my elderly mother again for all the reasons mentioned in the previous review. There were no reviews on Amazon when I bought this phone last week but decided to take a chance due to the fab price as I was not too sure if my technology phobic mother would take to a mobile phone. But so far its great for her purpose. If used to setting up mobile phones then this one is easy to set up but the instruction manual is very small with small print.
My major problem with this phone is the USB charger. Amazon did not make it clear when I was buying the phone that this product did not include a regular plug charger and that you would need a computer to charge the phone. I would imagine that this phone would appeal to seniors who may not have access to a pc. This point needs to be made very clear. I sent an email to Amazon asking for a plug charger but received an email from the supplier (My Memory) that it only comes with a USB charger and they apologised for any confusion caused. Not sure if I would have bought the phone if I had known this at the time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great phone for my elderly mother, 31 Oct 2011
I bought this phone for my mother (23 Oct 201). She said this is the best phone she has ever had. She loves everything about it. The numbers on the keys and screen are large enough for her to see with or without her glasses. The numbers fill the screen. Incoming/Outgoing calls are displayed visually and verbally notified so you know who is calling before you pick up and also if you are phoning the right person. Verbal notifications of incoming calls seem to work only on UK calls; however international calls are displayed on screen. The FM radio does not require headphones and the flashlight is great. After reading the review I bought a USB 3-pin plug charger to plug in to the wall socket; however mum's phone came with one; funnily her old phone's charger also fits(she has 3 chargers now).

If the green key and then the middle key with the two white arrows are pressed the phone's menu appears on screen. Scrolling with arrow keys you'll find Phones Settings, SMS, and Calender etc. Mum has learnt how to text, the letters are slightly smaller than the number keys; nevertheless fills about half the screen. By pressing the # key the dictionary can be turned off, mum prefers to create text using the single letter process. Yes, the instructions can be awkward; however sheis having fun learning how to use her new phone. She does not need internet or camera and prefers the traditional way of communicating and taking pictures.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 19 Sep 2011
We ordered this for an elderly friend. The phone is really clear to see, very straightforward to use. Good choice of text and ring tones. It has a torch which is really useful. Much as it says you charge it with a USB it does in fact come complete with a plug you can put the USB into and then charge it at the wall like any other phone charger.

This is such a good value phone,

4.0 out of 5 stars Perfect, 20 Oct 2011
This is a first class mobile for those that are happy just to text and call, nothing fancy but brillant big numbers and very simple to operate. Instructions are rather small but the phone is so easy that you can work it out easily. I was nervous when other reviews said you could only charge via a PC, that is not the case, just plug it in and off you go.
My 67 year old husband is very happy with it and I will be forever grateful that he has stopped moaning about his old Noika mobile and how frustrating it was for him to use. We have now also produced one for my 88 year old mother in law, yes it is that simple.

3.0 out of 5 stars USB only charger, 25 Nov 2010
This is a nice, smart, compact, very easy to use mobile phone. It comes with a built-in SOS emergency function, 10 speed dial numbers, an FM radio button, a torch and a 100 number phone book. The only drawback, possibly, is that it only has a USB cable to charge the 1000mAh battery. Now that may suit some people, but I would have thought that a big button phone like this would have great appeal to the more elderly person who probably doesn't have access to something with a USB socket, so limiting the phone like this strikes me as daft. The price is great compared to most similar models around, so it will certainly make a good present, but do check first that the recipient will be able to charge it! (Amazon do sell adaptor plugs like this one - 3 PIN 1000mA USB Power Adapter Mains Charger UK Wall Plug for MP3 players, ipods, iphone 4G, iphone 3G, Apple iPad, Mobile phones, PDA's and Digital Cameras etc - so there is hope, but it's still a bit bad not to warn people about this in the description.]

4.0 out of 5 stars It does come with a regular plug charger, 20 Oct 2011
I got this for my Dad because he couldn`t handle a small fiddly phone with lots of features. I notice some reviews mention it only comes with a USB charger. I thought I should mention that it does in fact now come with a regular three pin UK plug charger (My Memory Oct 2011). I can`t comment too much about the actual phone because I haven`t really used it myself and he`s only had it a couple of weeks. But so far my Dad likes it and he generally hates stuff like this! (still struggles with DVD player!). It doesn`t come with any SIM card, so we loaded a 10 Orange pay as you go (SIM was free). Instruction booklet is a tad small.

4.0 out of 5 stars Bluechip World Big Button Sim Free Mobile Phone, 27 Sep 2011
My mother and father in law are both techophobes with poor sight and hearing. Had a good look around at what was in the market before finally buying one of these for each of them. Father in law has his already but mum is getting hers for Christmas. Works as advertised and he seems pretty happy with it. Definately loud enough ring as even he asked me to turn the volume down and he's pretty hard of hearing.

1.0 out of 5 stars very disappointing, 15 Jan 2012
I bought this as a replacement for my trusty Binatone mobile which had been chewed by a dog! It looks almost exactly the same, the specs are the same and so is the price. It is nowhere near as good - I'm lucky if I get 3 days out of it without having to recharge, and that's without making any calls or texts, just on standby. Trying to charge it is a nightmare - it's just taken (timed) 4 minutes before I even got a message saying that the phone was recharging. It feels skimpy and insubstantial in my hand. No way would I ever buy one of these again - I'm off to find a replacement Binatone. Forgot to add - when the battery goes flat and has to be recharged, you lose the date/time info and it all has to be entered again! Not good.

5.0 out of 5 stars big button phone, 18 Nov 2011
i bought this big button mobile because i wanted something simple to use,this fits the bill perfectly.it was great value for money,i seen the same phone in tesco for double the price

2.0 out of 5 stars great for the oldies... just one thing..., 11 Mar 2011
the product as a whole is great for our old people. must have for grannies/grandad.

just one thing, the box says the battery should have been 1000mah, i received 800mah battery. that's why i rated 2 stars.