5.0 out of 5 stars Good quality at an excellent price
Hoya filters are excellent, and if you go to their website, you will find that the HMC (Hoya Multi Coated) series are a step up from the "standard" range. It is very easy to pay more than this for a standard filter, so shop around for the HMC level, which reduces the reflection given by the glass.

The visual effect given by a UV filter is very subtle but still...
Published on 5 Oct 2011 by David P

1.0 out of 5 stars I am fairly certain mine was a dud or a fake
In my "unreviewed items" this purchase is showing as made by Hoya, sold and fulfilled by Amazon.

Published 10 months ago by Johnny Whitechapel

5.0 out of 5 stars Good quality at an excellent price, 5 Oct 2011
David P (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)

The visual effect given by a UV filter is very subtle but still clearly visible, especially in sunny landscape shots. They certainly never seem to have an adverse effect, and so are ideal to leave on a lens permanently as a means of protection. If you want to really visibly enhance your outdoor shots, go for a polarising filter, which can be fitted on top of this if you want to, although this might lead to some vignetting on wide angle shots due to the combined length of the rings.

Overall, excellent and convenient lens protection at a very reasonable price.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great lens protector, 19 May 2013
Having used this make of filter 30 years before I was pleased to see it still available. The product is well made and a good fit. Delivery was prompt as expected.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great filter!, 20 Oct 2009
M. Witherington "Gadget Freak" (Hampshire) - See all my reviews
This filter is good, well built and it appears to do its job (protecting the lens)

Pros:
1) Relativly inexpensive
2) Well built.
3) The Hoya web site says this filter has greater than 97% light transmission.
4) Multi coated.

Cons:
None that I can think of.

I will over time be replacing all my lens protection filters with the HMC version as these are a good compromise (cost against quality) between the standard and super HMC filters.

I have not experienced any real problems with his filter but would advise purchasing a thinner filter for wide angle lenses in the long run it's worth the extra cash.

4.0 out of 5 stars Why the big case?, 24 Jun 2012
Toppam (Bedfordshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Hoya 37mm UV(C) Digital HMC Screw-in Filter (Accessory)
Workd fine and was exactly right for the job. A good quality product and well worth it for protecting the 300 lens which it lives on. It comes in the same size plastic case as a much larger lens, but as it lives on the lens, so what?

5.0 out of 5 stars good product. reasonably priced., 12 Jun 2012
J. Y. Chen "jVc" (uk) - See all my reviews
for the price, this is a quality product. bought for my canon 24-105mm lens. and have not taken it off since.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good product, 10 May 2012
K. Childs (Wales) - See all my reviews
Arrived well packaged. Quality seems to be good. Very happy with the price and the quality of the product. Very happy

4.0 out of 5 stars Great delivery, 7 Dec 2011
I received this item well packed and very fast delivery. Can't ask for much more and the product is what it is the best filter for lens protection. The only downside to using UV filters for lens protection is that if you do smash the filter depending on the angle and nature of the impact the UV filter can shatter and cause scratching to the lens. The glass used is not shatter proof so beware! It was quite time consuming and difficult to get all the small fragments of glass that get trapped in the mechanism removed. I still think this is a risk worth taking as the filter ring acted as a sacrificial corner protection to my lens. So I am replacing my recently smashed filter and the scratches don't seem to be affecting the quality of my images just yet but would be nice not have them....

1.0 out of 5 stars I am fairly certain mine was a dud or a fake, 3 Jun 2013

I am fairly certain that mine bought via Amazon, was fulfilled by Amazon but sold by a seller. I have this filter in 58mm, 72mm & 77mm versions and they are fine. This one though I am certain is a dud or a fake. The green reflections even in broad daylight are shocking. Sadly I was in South America at the time and had it delivered to a friend, by the time it had got back to me, it was more than 30 days after my purchase and Amazon wasn't really interested in my objections.

I went back to Amazon to purchase 52mm and another 58mm B+W UV filter.

Buyer beware when buying filters online, check them in different lighting conditions, Hoya UV(C) filters should not have green flares on the images

5.0 out of 5 stars Hoya 52mm filter, 10 Feb 2014
Mr. Gordon Downie (Stoke-on-Trent, England) - See all my reviews
Bought this to protect my Nikon lens (just in case) as some years ago I ruined an expensive lens with an inadvertent scratch. Cheaper to replace a filter than a lens anytime. Good little unit and does not seem to have affected the lens performance adversely. Good value for money.

3.0 out of 5 stars I never use a camera without one, 23 Jan 2014
It does what it says, - it cuts out UV so reduces haze on pictures. There are many makes and they all work well but Hoya is a well known filter manufacturer and their prices are reasonable so making this one a good choice.
UV filters do not affect the exposure and as well as cutting out UV also protect the front element of the lens from dust, knocks, fingerprints and accidental damage.
A UV filter is always my first purchase for a new camera or lens, - based on the assumption that it is easier and cheaper to replace a filter worth about 10 rather than or lens (or even the whole camera) which could be worth hundreds of .

ARRAY(0xabd19354)