5.0 out of 5 stars An epic story!
Published on 23 Oct 2010 by P. C. Fenton

3.0 out of 5 stars Nurses and Soldiers
This is the story of Rose Courtenay, brought up in a big mansion house in Dorset she is destined for one thing, to marry who her parents think is most suitable and live her life accordingly exactly like theirs. Rose is different she wants more from life, and decides the only way to get this is to break free from family constraints.

So she becomes a nurse, first...
Published on 21 Mar 2011 by Jo D'Arcy

5.0 out of 5 stars An epic story!, 23 Oct 2010
P. C. Fenton (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Silver Locket (Paperback)
It's 1914 and upper-class girls are expected to marry well and do as they're told, but certainly not occupy themselves with anything useful. The heroine, Rose, dreams of going to Oxford (and is actually offered a place), but this is vetoed by her parents who tell her what she needs is a husband who can form her opinions for her. What intelligent girl wouldn't rebel against that? So she does what any heroine in her situation would do - she runs away and trains to become a nurse, eventually ending up in France. The hero, Alex, meanwhile, is the sort of man Rose's parents disapprove of strongly - he has a dubious past, no money and no social standing - but he has courage and integrity, something the man chosen for Rose definitely didn't have. It is therefore no wonder she falls for Alex instead. There is only one problem - he's already married ...

This is a great love story set against the backdrop of the first World War and is an epic tale that really shows the reader what it was actually like, both in the trenches and for those who were fighting to patch up the wounded after the carnage. The author must have done a tremendous amount of research, which has been fitted into the story effortlessly. The reader is left with a feeling of awe at how anyone could have coped in such conditions and how the human spirit is able to triumph over adversity. This is a great read and I would highly recommend it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Another page turner from M James, 6 Jan 2011
S. Emmett (North Yorkshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Silver Locket (Paperback)
Margaret James is an expert wordsmith. As in her other novels, you'll find not a wasted word anywhere in The Silver Locket. I can see no point in highlighting the plot here as so many reviewers have already done this. Instead, what I want to do is address all those of you who doubt about historical romance. Here, in The Silver Locket, you have a fine example of a pager turner. It will grip you from page one and you'll really wish you didn't have to go to work before finishing it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great read!, 2 Jan 2011
This review is from: The Silver Locket (Paperback)
I bought this book a few days before Christmas, but I started reading it the same night and I just had to keep reading. I don't read much romantic fiction but I found all the details of the first world war really fascinating and absorbing. I got very involved with the hero and heroine. Some historical novels make you feel like you are being lectured, but this one took me back to the period and made me feel I was there.

Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars I lost yesterday to devour this novel!!!!!!!!!!!!!!, 3 Jan 2012
This review is from: The Silver Locket (Choc Lit) (Kindle Edition)
Kindle download:

This book was devoured by me in a day much to the delight of my husband who was allowed unlimited access to the sports channel. I didn't for once care about the mundane background noise as i was fast captivated in the story and honestly did not notice any of the background noise.

The characters were easily and quickly taken into my heart and I was engrossed with how things would turn out. One downside was that i quickly established that Alex would be more than a fleeting mention early on in the book.

Rose is a female girl of 18 who wants to leave her very role of a Governess and become a nurse in order to be helping people. She accomplishes her self within this role and then signs up to become involved in WW1 to assist on the ambulance trains and closer to the front line. However much to the total horror of her parents who do not allow such a thing for someone in her position. Instead they would prefer her to marry Michael who also has some social standing.

This book deals with WW1 from both perspectives of both Rose and Alex as they both are involved in the war but obviously in very different ways. Considering how grusome these topics should be the author instead talks about it but in a less horrific manner, and yet amazingly this does not deter from what is clearly a horrific time.

This story will long live on in my heart as a beautifully written novel in which i was totally captivated into. Now i shall be hunting out the follow up to this story and maybe some others by this author - surely this is recommendation in itself!

What a perfect way to see in the New Year!

5.0 out of 5 stars World War I made real, 13 Jan 2011
Mrs. S. M. Matthews (Kettering, Northants United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Silver Locket (Paperback)
For me, the stand out feature of this engrossing book is the detail of what it was like to be at war in 1914-18. I really felt as if I were there in the trenches with Alex and in the hospitals with Rose. I hadn't even known there were such things as hospital trains until Rose was transferred to one.

The characters grabbed me, too - Alex, especially. I do love a dark and brooding hero. The first meeting we witness between him and Rose isn't promising, but he gets his act together after that. Both Rose and Alex have their own missions to pursue, during the book, and so every chapter brings a surprise.

There's a sweet secondary story about a baby that Rose takes under her wing, too.

I can't wait for the next Margaret James book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't put this down!, 30 Dec 2010
This review is from: The Silver Locket (Paperback)
I received this novel as a Christmas present. I have not read any of Margaret James novels before so didn't know what to expect. I started the book on Boxing Day and read the first hundred pages without putting the book down. The rest of the book was finished the following day. The story is so vivid and believable,the descriptions of the first world war brought tears to my eyes. As a nurse Rose proved her weight in gold and was totally dedicated to caring for the injured soldiers. I really wanted Rose to be happy after her stuffy upbringing and unhappy past romances. Alex provided her with the answer she had been waiting for. She finally fell in love and knew that even though the struggle would be long and arduous, her and Alex would find true happiness. I can't wait for the sequel and will be buying Margaret's other novels in the meantime to keep me going! An excellent author.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lost Myself!!, 12 Jan 2011
This review is from: The Silver Locket (Paperback)
Excellent read,strong characters who I really wanted to follow, A great period of history and so well researched, learnt a lot about the "fighting" men of that time, Great title.All of Maragert James' books are so readable,the history they contain is such a easy way of learning mor. Well thought of story line.

4.0 out of 5 stars beautiful story, 30 Dec 2010
G. Cook "jillcook27a" (Essex england) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: The Silver Locket (Paperback)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I really liked this book. It was not a huge volume so made it easy to travel with in your bag. The story of escape from one type of life to another provided by a war, was not strange both in the 1st and 2nd world war. It is a beautiful and sad at times story which i think most women would enjoy, and possible that some men would also like it. A very nice read

5.0 out of 5 stars A page turner, 2 Dec 2010
This review is from: The Silver Locket (Paperback)
I really enjoyed this book. It was given to me by a good friend as a present and I found it to be a real page turner. As well as being a compelling love story with a gutsy heroine and a heroic hero, there was an insight into the horrors of World War One, with enough detail to provide a real understanding of the appalling conditions that the brave young men and women of our country had to endure. It is a love story and a history lesson combined, it is fast moving and the sort of book that you remember. Definitely recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Judge this book by its cover, 6 Nov 2010
This review is from: The Silver Locket (Paperback)
I was attracted to this book by its beautiful cover and when I bought it, wondered whether the story would be a let down. But no! On the contrary, the girl on front IS Rose Courtney. She's fabulous! No wonder Alex Denham is in love with her. Brave and determined, she gives up a comfortable life in Dorset to help with the war effort as a nurse. In the meetings between the lovers held in war torn France we really feel how intense their love for each other is.
This is a deeply romantic novel that constantly had my heart in my mouth. I loved the large canvas, following our hero and heroine even as far as Lapland. And I learnt a lot about how the nurses had to cope in WW1 as well. I never knew about the trains!
An excellent read, I thoroughly recommend it.

The Silver Locket (Choc Lit)
2.49