5.0 out of 5 stars Reading this book is fun!
I was really wanted a Modo book and im sure i did the best choice.
This book is NOT boring or anything that most 3D application books are.
It's really fun to read and i enjoy the way Wes is writing.

I fully recommend this book to anyone uses modo and wants to go one step further.

I didn't liked the idea of having some pages that he works...
Published on 22 Nov 2009 by Cheez

1.0 out of 5 stars Real World modo. DON'T BUY IT
Hi,

Published on 7 Feb 2010 by Guy Smeyers

1.0 out of 5 stars Real World modo. DON'T BUY IT, 7 Feb 2010
Guy Smeyers - See all my reviews
Hi,

I bought this book and I must say I'm disappointed. Sure he covers everything. But he does this in a clumsy very unorganized manner. He says in his introduction that he's not a fan of step by step tutorials. How else can you learn software? Don't waste your money on this buy Dan Ablans 3D Garage Modo 401 signature courseware. That guy has proven he can write tutorials and books in a very user friendly step by step way.

5.0 out of 5 stars Reading this book is fun!, 22 Nov 2009
I was really wanted a Modo book and im sure i did the best choice.
This book is NOT boring or anything that most 3D application books are.
It's really fun to read and i enjoy the way Wes is writing.

I didn't liked the idea of having some pages that he works with maya but you can just skip those. That is, because im not a maya user and i would like more modo than having maya, but still, this is nice just to see how some stuff are done and follow with your own favorite 3d tool

good job Wes, really.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not the best, but still good, 13 April 2011
Stevie Parmentier (Belgium) - See all my reviews
(read this review as 3.5/5)

After many years of trying to dip my toes into heavy software packages like Lightwave, 3DS Max, Maya, etc. the complex and user-unfriendly interfaces always put me off in the end combined with tutorial books being mostly useless. Then I was recommended to try Modo which was a lot more flexible and intuitive which led me to trying to find a good book introducing me to the software.

If you already understand the basics of 3D design, this book is a good buy. It covers most of the tools and explains some 3D mechanics in general and introduces you to Modo in most areas.

On the downside, if Modo is your first book, you'll be in trouble. The book has no real introduction to 3D design, no explaining the basics and many topics that you'd wish were delved deeply into, are quickly glossed over. The first 50 or so pages of the book are basically just glossing over what Modo can do when they would have been much better invested as introduction to how 3D works. Sure, there's guides online that do this, but for such an expensive book, you'd at least expect beginners to get involved as well.

Instead, this book is clearly written for those who are already familiar with Maya, Lightwave, etc. which makes you wonder then, why the book then goes on about features which such users would already be familiar with, leading to a book which doesn't seem to know what its audience is. For a designer well versed in other software, most of it is probably useless to him or her, to a beginner, the foundations are missing completely. Sad really, since this is the only available book that I could find - as someone who enjoys reading tutorials such as this in the bath tub or in bed, video tutorials are not as practical.