5.0 out of 5 stars Like a letter from your best friend
I devoured this pretty little book.

It reads like a letter from your best friend - the tone is chatty, honest and friendly which makes it immensely readable.

Published on 6 Jun 2010 by A. Fishburne

3.0 out of 5 stars Great book
Basically, find yourself a hobby to spend time on, other than shopping! Some good tips, will keep it. Not too long either
Published 9 months ago by Ms. H. J. Cook

5.0 out of 5 stars Like a letter from your best friend, 6 Jun 2010
A. Fishburne (UK) - See all my reviews
I devoured this pretty little book.

The advice is direct and manageable. It's not always comfortable reading however, as to get out of a shopping addiction, you do need to stop shopping, which isn't easy! But the process becomes a lot more manageable with this book full of tips and suggestions that encourage readers to explore their creative sides and seek their thrills in other places than the shopping mall - all with the aim of discovering a richer and more meaningful life experience.

As someone with what I think of as a 'mild' shopping problem (never been in debt, but can't let a day pass without buying something) I found this book incredibly reassuring. Here was a successful, intelligent, witty woman who had successfully dealt with the same issues I have been struggling with. Reading her story made me feel a lot less alone as well as a lot less crazy and shallow! It becomes clear in the later parts of the book that she does overcome her shopping problems and her perspective shifts - charity, thrift and relationships all become focuses of her life and she discovers what is truly important.

I would like to say thank you for an honest book so full of sense and join with the previous reviewer in wishing the author every good thing in life.

4.0 out of 5 stars Common sense really, 21 Mar 2011
To be honest, much of this book is common sense. I was reading it with some hope that it might have some advice that I hadn't previously considered but to be honest, it didn't really tell me anything I didn't already know.
Having said that, it's a dinky little book and as another review said, the writer does have a chatty tone which makes it very readable.
Recommended but dont expect miracles!

3.0 out of 5 stars Great book, 5 Dec 2013
Ms. H. J. Cook (croydon,surrey) - See all my reviews

4.0 out of 5 stars Cut down on spendingt, 26 Dec 2012
D. Maslen "breadeater" (Bedford, UK) - See all my reviews
This book will help cut down on spending and sdtart organising my finances properly. Glad I found it and hope to put it to good use.

3.0 out of 5 stars its just ok, 12 Jun 2012
This review is from: How to Give Up Shopping (or at Least Cut Down) (Kindle Edition)
Im a shopoholic, and Im really looking for a way to get out of my situation. Though I am not in debt or owe hundreds of pounds, I want to improve my life, I dont have space in my room, I got too much crap.
Thought this book would help, but not really. Its written in a nice simple way, but to me gave me like general advice, and really didnt motivate me to start a new shop-free life. It is like telling a fat person not to eat donuts...but, where does the motivation come from?
Anyway. Its perfectly pleasant to read and has some funny situations but not a book I would recommend.

4.0 out of 5 stars Non-patronising book if you shop too much!, 19 Sep 2011
Written by a real 'shopaholic' who found her way out the other side, this is kind and non-patronising read for anyone else who is thinking they shop too much, and is maybe considering changing their ways. Made me think but without making me feel guilty or like I was being ticked off. It has made me take a step back from why I shop and think twice before I embark on a buying-spree, or even a buying-one-thing spree. Quite fun to read too, has got a sense of humour. Not a very long book so not very good value for money in terms of pages per pound, I polished it off on a plane journey to Greece and it definitely helped the time go.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good book, but better for a wake up call, 15 Mar 2011
Andree Latibeaudiere "dree" (united kingdom) - See all my reviews
I think I bought this book too late! I was in debt crisis 1 year ago and went through all the emotional turmoil that comes with facing a spending problem and clawing your way out of it. I'm still not out of the debt hole, but am in a much better mental place because of it.I wish I had this book when I was going through it because it offers sound advice as well as helps to identify the root of spending, but doesn't help if you've already had the epiphany.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not worth the money, 7 Mar 2012
I was shocked at how thin and small the book was when it arrived. The advice is commonsense, there was nothing i didn;t already know. If i hadn;t felt i had just been ripped off, it may have been helpful to hear what i already knew.
If you want to give up shopping, leave your credit and debit cards at home, and only use cash.