• Icon

Format: Audio CD|Change

on 24 April 2011
any album that contains a 12" version of groovin, deserves to be purchased for this track alone......wonderful stuff. the jam & lewis produced S O S BAND, were an 80s essential ingredient to any good soulful disco dance,collection.the fact that this set contains all the monster hits, plus the aforementioned track, for about 6 quid inc postage!!!!..makes this a no brainer, i listened to this on a hot afternoon with a beer in my back garden ....what a wonderful compilation, from TAKE YOUR TIME....through to the SANDS OF TIME....you willbe transported back to days real dance music, JUST BE GOOD TO ME...THE FINEST....HIGH HOPES...NO ONES GONNA LOVE YOU...JUST THE WAY YOU LIKE IT...all in long 12" or album versions( EVEN WHEN YOU SLEEP..BORROWED LOVE ) a wonderful collection ..well done UNIVERSAL USA this icon series is a winner. anyone who loves 80s grooves willl lap this up...buy now, and dont miss out on a bargain release enjoy people!
on 8 December 2008
This is a pretty good compilation of some, but not all, of The S.O.S. Band's hits, with 7 out of the 10 tracks being extended versions.

The track listing/track lengths for this album is as follows:-
1. Take Your Time (Do It Right) 7:39
6. Just Be Good To Me 9:03
7. Sands Of Time 4:26
8. No One's Gonna Love You 6:43
9. High Hopes 6:26
10. What's Wrong With Our Love Affair? 4:53.

My favourites from this compilation are (and in order of preference):
(1) JUST BE GOOD TO ME, (2) NO ONE'S GONNA LOVE YOU, (3) TELL ME IF YOU STILL CARE, (4) THE FINEST, (5) WEEKEND GIRL, (6) HIGH HOPES, and (7) SANDS OF TIME. Whilst I like the other three tracks, I wish they had included BORROWED LOVE and NO LIES.

"JUST BE GOOD TO ME" brings back really happy memories of Friday nights at the local "disco" singing and dancing along - everyone knew the words! "NO ONE'S GONNA LOVE YOU" is simply fantastic and I'm glad it's been included here, especially as an extended version.

This album goes some way towards reflecting what a fantastic group they were, with perfect vocals, catchy tunes, meaningful lyrics, and top notch production to match. And if you can't find all your favourites on this compilation, then I'd recommend seeking out "The Greatest Hits" compilation released in 2004 which includes "Borrowed Love"; "No Lies"; the slightly shorter version of "Just Be Good To Me" (at 5:50!), the edits of "Weekend Girl" and "Take Your Time (Do It Right)", amongst others.
on 12 February 2004
Fantastic collection of SOS tunes available here, featuring the talents of ace producers: Jam & Lewis.
Standout track is the awesome *No one's gonna love you*.
Great to see the soothing grooves of *Weekend Girl* too.
*Tell me if you still care* & *The Finest* are here for your enjoyment, as is the classy *Sands Of Time*
The soundtrack to many a summers evening.
Go buy it now!!!
on 22 August 2012
This review is for: S.O.S. Band Icon (2011 12-Track CD)

*** IMPORTANT NOTE: Amazon seem to have merged the reviews for "The Best Of The S.O.S. Band" with "Icon". So, please note that this review is specifically for "Icon", the 2011 12-Track CD ***

At the time of writing S.O.S. band are not well served on CD. What we really need is their original albums reissued with bonus 12" mixes. But in the meantime this is a welcome stop-gap. The main omission here is "No Lies" which I would have liked to see included, but of the 12 tracks included here all are top quality with no fillers. "Just Be Good To Me" is included as a remix from the 1987 "The Hit Mixes" LP which is an interesting alternative but not a patch on the original 12"/album version (Luckily I already have this version at almost 9 minutes long included on The Best of 12" Gold - 8 Dance Greats - Volume 9 which although out of print is worth tracking down). But the best point about this compilation is that they have used the full length 12" or album versions and we get all of the best known tracks. One major plus point is that "Groovin' (That's What We're Doin')" is included in its 12" version which is a minute longer than the album version. This is class soul/funk music that stands the test of time and still sounds fresh.

These are the versions you get on this CD:
01) "Take Your Time (Do It Right)" (7:40 12"/Album Version)
02) "Just Be Good To Me" (7:41 European 12" Version - different to UK/USA 12" Version)
03) "Tell Me If You Still Care" (6:58 12"/Album Version)
04) "No One's Gonna Love You" (6:48 Album Version)
05) "The Finest" (6:08 Album Version)
06) "High Hopes" (6:31 12"/Album Version)
07) "Just The Way You Like It" (8:43 Album Version)
08) "Weekend Girl" (6:27 12"/Album Version)
09) "Groovin' (That's What We're Doin')" (5:33 12" Version)
10) "Even When You Sleep" (4:10 Album Version)
11) "Borrowed Love" (5:28 Album Version)
12) "Sands Of Time" (4:27 Album Version)
on 26 April 2012
Bought this CD after looking high and low for a 'best of' compilation. Had heard most of the tracks, but the ones I had not heard previously, were all in keeping with the rest of the disc and can only be summed up by one word - Genius!!. The SOS Band are quite possibly the most underrated soul band of their time and playing this CD just transported me back to the 80's when this genre of music was at it's best. Personally, if i had to pick my favourite 3 tracks, they would be 'The finest', 'Weekend girl' and'tell me if you still care'. Every track is brilliant and I can honestly say, this is the best CD I have bought in a long long time!, listening to these tunes again made the hairs on the back of my neck stand up and made me just want to put it on again. This is all my personal opinion of cause, but if you are a fan of 80's soul, Shalamar,loose ends, change etc, this is just about as good as it gets, buy it, play it and enjoy...a masterpiece!!
on 24 February 2012
What a great album; all tracks are the full length and sound sooooo good. There are some tracks on here I didn't know the SOS Band done as in "Groovin'", "The Finest" and I thought I knew my music.
If you want to be transported back to the days when soul music was soul music and groups like the SOS Band were always appreciated then buy this album without delay.
on 4 August 2012
Being a huge fan of The SOS band back in the day, I was looking forward to replacing my 12" vinyl collection with this cd.

While it has all the hits I loved, they are not presented here in their 12" versions, and while they are still great songs, no one could rack up the power for a 12" mix like Jam and Lewis. So if you looking for the energy and excitement of the dancefloor mixes look elsewhere.

It's still a great collection, but for me it lacks something.. I'll stick to the amazing 12" mixes.
on 17 January 2014
I have waited a long time for this to be delivered, but it has been worth it. 12 tracks of pure joy, with the most outstanding being Take your Time, High Hopes, Just the way you like it and Groovin'. That is not to say that the remainder of the tracks aren't just as good, other people would probably argue, but hey, that's just my opinion. Anyway, if you haven't bought this yet, do yourself a favour, go and buy it, especially at these prices.
on 6 November 2010
I did just buy this album for the 12" Just be good to me but I have come to like the album well worth the money
on 29 December 2011
it is THE FINEST example of soul from the early 80s , but TELL ME IF YOU STILL CARE about this type of music in todays musical world . it has extended mixes of their best stuff .. very musical , funky soul . i don't think these are the versions of the 12"s released in the uk , but i haven't heard them in nearly 30 years so i might be mistaken .
feel free to leave a comment , JUST BE GOOD TO ME.