5.0 out of 5 stars Five Star at the very least
I had never heard "The Hunting Of The Snark" but had wanted to for years and I missed the 1991 edition. There are reviews of the music and performances elsewhere on Amazon; I can only say that since receiving it yesterday I have played it six times in a row. I really can't remember the last time I did that, and I buy a lot of music.

The whole package is top...
Published on 2 Nov 2010 by D. J. Roberts

3.0 out of 5 stars Did not work
I was really looking forward to this but the DVD did not work and so it was returned for a refund. As it was the only one left I could not be sent a replacement so I still don't know what it is like!!
Published 19 months ago by Mr. P. R. Smith

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Star at the very least, 2 Nov 2010
D. J. Roberts (Hertfordshire, England) - See all my reviews

The whole package is top notch. The concert picture is brilliant given 1987 standards. The reason for this entry is to note that the audio remastering is very special on both cd and dvd. I don't know what the original sounded like but this is fantastic giving real depth and scope to the sound, and really bringing the different individual performances and styles to life, absorbing the listener into the music. I can't see from the booklet who mastered this edition, but I wish they'd had a hand in many of the cd's I've bought over recent years.

This piece will appeal to listeners who appreciate great compositions, cleverly arranged, and performed by artists and musicians of the highest calibre who sound and look as if they really mean it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant. Just brilliant., 24 Nov 2010
We had this album on tape when I was a kid and I can remember the watching of the televised version in 1987 being a great occasion. It was constantly on in the car for long journeys and listening to it again now for the first time in at least 15 years I have remembered why. The music doesn't sound dated at all, the orchestrations are deep and lovely, and the cast members are frankly amazing. Also, I still remember 90% of the words which is pretty impressive.

If you've never heard this album before - get it, listen to it though a couple of times and I guarantee you will be impressed. I'm just so pleased that it's out again - and I really hope it's more of a success this time round. It deserves to be!

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally..., 13 Nov 2010
J. Phillips "Kiwi" (Somerset, UK) - See all my reviews
What can I say that the others 3 reviews haven't already said. I have this on a tape from when it was first released and have been waiting for a cd release. And this is such a bonus having the dvd too. I never thought I'd get to see that again

5.0 out of 5 stars Back to Hunt the Snark again, 10 Nov 2010
Yes it is finally back after years of promise. This is a fabulous star-studded concept album. There are two discs in this set. Dramatico have finally re-released the original album but now bundled with a DVD of the concert. The first disc is the CD of the wonderful, wonderful concept album narrated by Sir John Guilgud and John Hurt and featuring great vocal performances by Roger Daltrey, Art Garfunkel, Julian Lennon, Cliff Richard, Mike Batt, Captain Sensible, Denice Williams and Maggie Reilly and instrumental performances from Stephane Grappelli (violin), George Harrison (guitar) and Chris Spedding (guitar). What a cast! I cannot recommend this CD too much!! And then, to top that, the second disc is a DVD of the hour long TV Concert version of the album at The Royal Albert Hall featuring many of the artists from the original album, with some replaced by Billy Connolly, Justin Hayward and Midge Ure. BRILLIANT.

I saw the shortlived full length London West End theatre show (not the hour long concert version) which was prematurely closed due to idiot critics who don't know a great thing when they see it. I asked at the box office for the best single seat they had and found myself sat next to the master, Mike Batt himself. I was so in awe, I was unable to strike up an appreciative conversation - something I regret to this day. A great show - and a great album. I have the concert on video already which I recorded off the tv when broadcast by the BBC. If only the full length show were available (Mike Batt has said he wants to record the full length show which has more songs and a tighter plot - one day) but this album/concert bundle is certainly worth having.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hunting of the Snark CD + DVD, 9 Nov 2010
I have been a fan of Mike Batt's "Hunting of the Snark" since I first saw the excellent musical of it in 1991 a couple of times. I was very sad it closed after several weeks and no one will be able to understand why after they hear this excellent recording. I'm pleased the concept album has been reissued as I hope it will generate extra interest and I think the sound quality is a little better. My favourite songs are the Introduction, Children of the Sky, Midnight Smoke and the Escapade. The DVD is very enjoyable as I never saw the concert screened on TV. Billy Connolly is surprisingly good in the role as the Bellman, and so are the others. Also my favourite tunes are on the menu backgrounds. I am thrilled to see in the CD notes that Mike Batt will probably record the whole score and issue it in a few years time as the missing songs from this CD are truly brilliant too. I just hope this package will mean there is more to come with regard to the Snark. If anyone is interested, a song missing from this CD called "Whatever You Believe" has been recorded by Finbar Wright.

5.0 out of 5 stars The real Batt, 1 Jan 2011
P. E. Pentelow "musicalfreak" (Plymouth England) - See all my reviews
I HAVE LONG BEEN A FAN OF MIKE BATT (THE MILLSTONE OF THE WOMBLES EXCEPTED)
HE NEVER SEEMS TO HAVE RECIEVED THE CREDIT HE DESERVES,I LOVED THE STAGING OF THIS ALBUM,AND WAS MYSTIFIED BY THE SLATING OF THE CRITICS.SOME OF WHOM TOLD DOWNRIGHT LIES.."THE AUDIENCE SAT IT STUNNED SILENCE" WRONG!!! THE AUDIENCE WERE ON THEIR FEET...THATS IN THE PAST. THIS PACKAGE IS REAL VALUE FOR MONEY,WITH THE ORIGINAL C.D. PLUS A DVD OF THE ALBERT HALL CONCERT.TRUE THE QUALITY OF THE DVD IS 1980s
BUT IT IS STILL ENJOYABLE.

5.0 out of 5 stars Epic Nonsense for Cheery Listening, 9 Mar 2003
By A Customer
The CD for the Hunting of the Snark is amongst the most amusing pieces of audio entertainment that I have heard for a long time. It is not only funny, but the vocalists are highly talented and add a great deal to what can be considered a worthwhile investment, if only for listening to in the car on long journeys.
If I had to make a criticism of the CD, it would be that it only covers a selection of the material that it possibly could have, making me in particular wish that there was more to listen to when the CD eventually spins to a close!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Fun, 21 Mar 2008
This is an all-star cast, from a piece that deserves much more attention, Stephane Grappelli, Roger Daltry, John Lennon, Cliff Richards, Sir John Gielgud, John Hurt, George Harrison. the list goes on. I saw this performed by the cast as a one-off charity concert - Brilliant was the only word.
I have never seen it advertised since - but if it is performed near you - see it, otherwise try and find the CD.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great to hear it again!, 17 Jan 2011
Freda (Sydney Australia) - See all my reviews
The Hunting Of The Snark From The Mike Batt Archive Series (CD+DVD Set)
I was so pleased when I found I could buy the cd of this, we only had the old tape that we bought originally and it had stretched so much that you could hardly hear the music.
Now I have just listened to this wonderful music again.
I first saw it with my family here in Sydney, Australia when Mike Batt brought it to play in front of Australian audiences.
We all listened absolutely spell-bound to this amazing and creative music. And when it was over, the audience rose to its feet as one and clapped and cheered. I felt so moved by the whole performance.
I can't understand why the UK critics slated this, so brilliant music. I can only think they were struck by madness.
I do hope Mike Batt does re-introduce this lovely musical........I'm sure the critics won't make such an obviously glaring mistake again.
And if he does, I shall be the first one to buy tickets!

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't wait - get it!, 30 Oct 2009
Merri (Sydney, Australia) - See all my reviews
This is the kind of album you can listen to forever. It's dangerous to take on a driving holiday, because you may never get the music out of your head.
The songs are a wonderful mix of Lewis Carroll's sharp wit combined with Mike Batt's musical versatility. I have found Dancing With Disaster is the theme song of many a failed project, too!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›