5.0 out of 5 stars Most jaw dropping Flipside yet
Published on 28 July 2011 by Now Zoltan

1.0 out of 5 stars Incredibly Bad
I don't really like to write negative reviews, but if you decide to purchase this DVD on the strength of the previous reviewers' glowing recommendations prepare to be disappointed.

First let's start with Duffer. I can't put into words how appalling this film is; so I won't.

If, like me, you have found BFI's Flipside series enjoyable, and want to...
Published on 2 Oct 2011 by M. Oxley

5.0 out of 5 stars Most jaw dropping Flipside yet, 28 July 2011
This review is from: Duffer + The Moon Over the Alley (BFI Flipside) (DVD + Blu-ray) (Blu-ray)
Overall I've really enjoyed the BFI Flipside series, however lately I've found them a little samey - frothy but cautionary tales of sexually permissive 60s London. Not so this release which blew me away with its taboo busting and surreal daring - not so much Flipside as teeming underside of the rock of 70s British cinema. Duffer is the most striking - 75 minutes inside the head of a mentally unstable teenager who oscillates between a thunderthighed prostitute called Your Gracie and a sadistic gay predator called Louis Jack. There's lyricism in this film - lovely images and haunting music, but beware, its as intense and nightmarish as Eraserhead and I found it seriously disturbing. The other feature, The Moon Over the Alley, loses the oppressive darkness but retains the surrealism and invention. Really a series of viginettes set around a down at heel Nottinghill neighbourhood, this has characters breaking into (mainly dubbed) song throughout and is a nicely shot time capsule to boot. Heres hoping Flipside has some more of these darker and genuinely surprising bon bons to show us.

4.0 out of 5 stars Waiting for Louis Jack, 15 May 2014
This has got to be one of the strangest, weirdest and most compelling films I have ever seen. It takes a while to adjust to the voiceover/commentary dialogue. Best viewed with someone else in the room to share the madness. Worm enthusiasts will love this!
The companion film 'Moon Over The Alley' is also a strange kettle of fish....lots of singing intertwined with mini kitchen sink vignettes topped off with a dollop of violence and some light gang-raping at the end! There's not much else to say really......

5.0 out of 5 stars "Duffer, love.", 22 Aug 2011
This film is one of the most frightening films I have ever seen, but it's like a car crash (and I mean no disrespect in that manner), you cannot take your eyes off it. It's an amazing, dark, wonderful, threatening, hopeful, depressing movie.

It's so well done and when it finishes you cannot believe what you just watched. Required viewing, highly recommended.

This also introduced me to the late Kit Gleave, who plays Duffer, and found out he wrote a trilogy of fantasy novels which are available here on Amazon.co.uk. Buy those after watching this film.

1.0 out of 5 stars Incredibly Bad, 2 Oct 2011
M. Oxley (UK) - See all my reviews

If, like me, you have found BFI's Flipside series enjoyable, and want to collect the set, you will probably buy this.

Unlike my fellow reviewers I don't believe this is one of the greatest films ever made. It is by far the poorest Flipside release so far.

Why not try another Flipside release that warrants a fantastic review.

Bronco Bullfrog (Blu-ray + DVD)
Deep End (DVD + Blu-ray)

Duffer + The Moon Over the Alley (BFI Flipside) (DVD + Blu-ray)
11.51