5.0 out of 5 stars better than both sennheiser cx300, shure e3c.
I'm a bit of a fussy listener, with a wide range in musical tastes. Rock, Pop, Classical.

If I have somewhere quiet to listen to my music, I go for my Sennheiser 565 Ovation
over ear phones. No buds have ever matched the open free-flowing sound of the trebble
notes, nor the extension of the bass notes. I seem to have lost track of my beyerdynamic...
Published on 12 Dec 2010 by D. Taylor

2.0 out of 5 stars Are these really an Audio Techica product?
Published on 19 Nov 2011 by Mashedy

5.0 out of 5 stars better than both sennheiser cx300, shure e3c., 12 Dec 2010
This review is from: Audio Technica ATH-CK400i (Black) In-ear Headset with Apple Control for iPhone / iPad / iPod (Black) (Office Product)

DT330s, but they were very good over-the ear phones also. Half the of the senn 565's., so the
Senns have the edge, but I would probably plump for beyerdynamics over sennheisers
at the same price-point.

There are a few buds out there which pump
out alot of bass to the extent that they drown out all else, but which still don't hit
the *really* low notes (i.e. have the extension). I prefer music to be balanced, but
to have big extension: both in trebble & bass.

In terms of sound quality the ATH-CK400i buds beat both the Sennheiser CX300s.
However, the isolation with the supplied silicon tips is not brilliant, though they
do seal well enough for the sound to be very good. I will
try some of the comply foam tips, and report back on them. The best tips for the
e3cs were the included memoryfoam tips, so I suspect that the comply
tips will be very good

My most common headphones for my iPhone have been my CX300 (not mk II), but
although my griffin mic/stop-start button works OK (well I get complaints that i
am talking too quietly unless I hold the Griffin mic just so) - I find that the extra
length of cable is a PITA. I also miss the volume controls which come with the apple
phones.

I went into a record store (with a three letter name, starting with H) to look at the turbine,
diddy beats with Control-Talk and possibly buy. They all look OK, and I like the look
of the Christmas tree tips for providing good sound isolation - but decided not to buy
on a) the price. That's a lot of money to pay without the ability to audition them (the
reason given is hygiene). I had tried various over the ear sennheisers at a big electrical
store in the same week, and the most expensive were worse than cheaper models.
b) the back end of the diddys are quite large. which only left the turnbines.

At around 150 for the turbines, I was disappointed that the metal-looking control-
talk thing feels quite plasticky.

Anyhow for around 45, they had these AT buds on sale: in ear, 4 different sizes of
tips, iPhone/iPod/iPad control, including volume. I thought I'd give them a go.

As mentioned above these are the best sounding of my bud headphones. The shure
e3cs are worst of all. They just sound a bit dead, and don't have much trebble or base
extension. Since the shure line started as studio monitors maybe they are built for
deaf old rockers, and designed to run at brain-shrinking volumes. At normal volumes
they sound slightly better than standard apple phones. I like the way you route
the wire over your ear though, as that makes for less snagging.

The CX300s do sound better, but I only have the standard tips for them, so they
seal OK, but are not comfortable for long wearing. I like the slightly rubbery but
very flexible cable with the asymetric divide. These phones have a better, more
breathey trebble.

Then best of all the ATH-CK400i. These sounded great straight out of the packet.
I have let them run-in for a couple of hours but cannot tell a huge difference.
These phones have the best bass extension, and a relatively neutral balance, though
the bass is a bit stronger than I like, the mid and trebble are still very good. The
end result is that I am hearing new things in tracks again and listenting for much
longer, even though the tips (like all silicon tips for me) become uncomfortable after a while.

The cable on these is a bit stiffer than on the senn's, but the cable tie is good. This is a combined
clip, with the ability to wrap some of the cable around the body of the clip. Sounds klunky, but
works really neatly. I like the fact that the clip is separate from the mic, which means that the
mic can be closer to your mouth. The mic seems to be very good, with no complaints on calls.

The 3-way controller with the mic is OK. It's tricky to 'click' just the central button, without
clicking also the + or - volume. It's easy enough for a single click to start or pause music, but
gets tricky with a double-click - when wanting to jump to the next track.

The cable and buds do allow you to route the cable over your ear and for it to stay.
The rubbery cable on the Senn's just won't stay over the ear. The slight stiffness
on the cable also means that it is less prone to tangling, when rolled up in the pocket.
The cable clip/tidy might help here.

The thing that convinced me to try these (even though I could find no reviews) was that Audio
Technica have been in hi-fi for a long while. I have had cartridges for my turntables from
them. Also, their noise-cancelling phones are the ones - which along with the bose ones
are the ones which most reviewers say stand head-and-shoulders above the competition.

All-in-all: highly recommended I can't imagine a better sound/comfort, other than going
to over-the-ear phones. If I was going to spend more, then on the strength of these
I will be getting the AT over the ear noise cancelling jobs.

Sorry for slightly verbose review, but given that there seems to be no other reviews out there
right now.

Update, Nov 2013: I kind of went off these, but cannot be sure if it is due to them going
through the washing machine by mistake, which they survived. The sound has ended up
overly bright. Amazing they survived though.
The cable sheath is separating from the contoller/mic on both sides, but they still work.
Perversely the sure ec2's are now the best of the above set. Transformed by the memory foam
earpiece which came from a colleague's sure phones (different model, not sure which one).
Still slightly missing in the top end, but not so tiring on the ears, as the AT's.

If not for the washing machine incident, I would probably revise these down to 4.

The newer apple ear-buds (included with iPhone 5) have a nice sound, but are only
any good in a quiet environment as there is zero insulation against outside noise.
Very comfy, and sit naturally in the right place.

2.0 out of 5 stars Are these really an Audio Techica product?, 19 Nov 2011
I bought these as I truely like Audio Techica products. I had previously owned Audio-Technica ATH-CK7 Titanium earphones which were mind blowing but had a problem with one of the channel. I was looking for a similar earphone to work with m iPhone 4 and hence, I bought ATH_CK400i. It was quite a disappointment as I could not feel the bass I have enjoyed with my other Audio Techica products. This product surely does not withstand the reputation and a wow factor as compared with other Audio Techica products. I gambled with the purchase as I did read few bad reviews on this product on the internet and it was a disappointment.

I gave it a 2 star rating as the remote functions did perform well otherise it would hve been a 1 stat for me. It is not worth the price. I returned the item and the seller was very cooperative with my return. A big thank you to the seller.

If you are looking for a quality iPhone earphones by Audio Techica, I would certainly recommend Audio Technica ATH-CKS55i as I ended up buying those and am very satisfied with the Audio Techica feel to my music. These are great value for money as well. And if you are looking for something on a higher end, I would recommend Audio-Technica ATH-CKS90i. It is a their top class earphones especially made for iPhone and other apple products.

ARRAY(0xb5b26918)