on 15 January 2011
Charge up your Kindles! Skip school. Call in sick. Send the kids to their grandparents'. Boltman's an electrifying read for less than the price of my morning commute. Occassionally you find a gem on the eBook bargain racks--Boltman is definitely one of them. If Knowles can afford to pump out electronic pulp at these prices, Boltman's going to zap readers like you and me all over the world out of our economic malaise. I've never gotten so many bangs for my buck! And that's what's good about Boltman. Lots of laughs and lots of action. An unpretentious page turner which will have you chuckling all day. So who is Boltman? Before Batman, Superman and Spiderman--even before comics--there was Boltman, the "real" inspiration for the fictional superhero genre. Knowles's first novel, titled Boltman, only scratches at the surface of the Boltman lore, as the hero appears in our world taking on villains with the same spirit that threw Don Quixote up against windmills. The problem is that he's stuck in Kevin's body. It's up to the reader, and Kevin's friends, to decide if he's crazy or really turning into a deceased comic book character. I agree with Sparticus's review in that I found a missing apostrophe. Perhaps Knowles's more recent "edition" has remedied the spelling errors mentioned. Great for a debut author with no support from a publisher!
on 25 April 2011
Where there is celebrity fueled idiocy misleading the masses Boltman will be there! Boltman explores the life of a very confused young man who is obsessed with his comic book hero. He believes that after the body of Boltman was destoryed his consciousness was sent back to Earth and inhabited his body. The villain that he believes himself destines to take out is Tommy Boy the celebrity face of the "Church of the Mind."

The book has some interesting aspects of the Boltman vs Kevin personality wars as both want to control his actual body. He decides that to complete his transformation he needs to find his sidekick so he goes of to Hollywood to find Ampere (from the Boltman movie). This story has a different spin on the normal superhero tale. Kevin is conflicted, but not in the dark brooding way that superheros are often portrayed, he is mentally conflicted by having two personalities vying for dominance.

This is a great book for anyone who enjoys comics or read them as a kid.
on 15 December 2010
Boltman is not a typical hero. He's an amoral powerhouse with a hilarious and sometimes violent take on justice. He's a spiritual being looking for a human host to conquer, but in Kevin Boltman finds so much more. The back and forth between Kevin and Boltman is funny and spooky at the same time. I feel bad for Kevin, but at the same time I find myself eagerly awaiting Boltman's next appearance. Kevin and Jessica as the worried friends who think Kevin's losing his mind are great. The last part of the book really kicks the adventure into high gear with a sinister celebrity cult that is hilariously drawn out and smacks of a scientology parody. The broken down sidekick character, a washed up movie star named Adolphus Banderas, is a delight! It's the well-drawn characters that make Boltman such an enjoyable read.
on 24 July 2013
This review covers not only part one but part two as well.
Quite why this was issued in two parts I don't know and probably don't want to know.
I believe it should now be combined into one novel and sold that way.
Initially you are unsure whether Boltman exists or whether it's all a figment of a deranged mind.
The idea of a cult complete with brainwashed Hollywood stars is not new but was very well handled.
I look forward to reading the next instalment which I am sure will follow.
on 26 July 2013
This isnt the complete story - its a novella - introduction to the story.

Its part one of two. It introduces us to the world of a depressed teen who imagines himself to be the incarnation of an old tv superhero. The question is - is he mad, inspired or actually possessed. Its a compelling formula and a nice look at the genre.
The only downside is that its split in two. it ends on a clifhanger - like many a superhero comic issue.
on 7 February 2013
my son in law recommended it but it didn't hold my interest enough- I wasn't prepared to pay for the (necessary) sequel