Colour: Manual|Change

on 25 April 2012
New! Smart Valve® Automatic Watering Kit
Set this up three days ago, following instructions carefully. As promised, the valve allowed water to flow until the tray had the preset depth of water. Then it closed.
That was more than two days ago, and although I drained the tray dry by arranging capillary matting to drain the water over a few hours, the valve has remained shut sitting in the dry tray for almost two days now. I've checked that it's got a free-flowing supply at a good pressure, but it remains completely shut. I'm feeling less and less confident that it will ever decide to open again.
I'll give it a few days more, and if it ever starts actually watering I'll come back here and say so. But at the moment, I'd say it's a great idea but ideas don't keep plants alive. They need water. Reliable water.
EDIT added>
After almost 3 dry days the valve opened slowly and filled the tray over several hours. It then closed again. It's been a cool. humid week, and it looks as if the sensor is quite slow to open under those conditions. But then, the plants don't need as much water under those conditions.
Still testing.
<Further EDIT>
If conditions are cold and humid (i.e. UK normal) it can spend several days apparently doing nothing, but it doesn't let the plants dry out and it is very economical with water. I plan to get another one for the other side of the greenhouse. The real test will come when we have a hot dry spell, but I'm now feeling more confident that it will stand that test,
Further EDIT> My tomato plants were completely unattended in greenhouse growbag for almost the whole of May, including one very hot week, and are healthy and growing well, now in early June. I've set up a pepper growbag as well, having bought a second valve. If these devices last well, they could become very popular indeed.
on 8 August 2014
I recently bought 3 of these valves to control watering of the tomato plants in my greenhouse.
Valves were promptly delivered and very simple to set up. All good so far.
The valves function as described taking the plants through a wet and dry cycle. Unfortunately the dry part can last for 3 days and with large vigorously growing plants this is way too long and severe wilt and blossom drop occurs. I find I am spending more time checking whether valves are working than I would manually watering
A good idea but unfortunately it just doesn't work in the situations where it is really needed
on 14 July 2014
sometimes works sometimes doesn't ..
Easy enough to set up . Unfortunately it isn't reliable. I can't work out why it works on some days and other days it doesn't. I've tried flushing through the pipe and device several times and till it stops working.. I've ended up having to check everyday which defeats the purpose of buying it.
on 28 July 2013
It works! We went on holiday during the July hot period; I left my tomatoes & peppers in the greenhouse in its care. On returning home the plants were fine, I was a little alarmed at the dryness of the surface compost, but I've now got used to that, as all the water the plant needs is taken in by the roots. It does have periods of dryness when I have been itching to water, but I have left it alone as I can see the level in the water butt is steadily going down. I have connected a few together…very pleased with results…pity it couldn’t give the leaves an occasional mist as well, then I could forget all about the greenhouse.
on 31 May 2015
Bought two of these in total and after two seasons worth of use both have stopped working. The first didn't stop the flow of water and the second wouldn't let any flow out. The patented aspect of this valve is a polymer that I assume swells up when it gets wet stopping flow and I suspect that this part is not durable; unlike the rest of the valve that is very robust. If spare parts were available this would be a five star product but I can't find any. I have now purchased an aquapot holiday water kit which is of good quality and spares are available.
on 8 April 2014
It's small and cheap so you can't really expect much from these. My only gripe was that the holes don't produce the same water pressure that you'd imagine they would, or what you'd get from a good small plastic watering can. You have to squeeze the bottle for pressure, which means it either dribbles out the end or comes blasting out with no middle ground.

Definitely an improvement over a cup but not as good as a plastic watering can.
on 4 July 2013
For £4 you can't go wrong with this little number. All of us have many drinks bottles waiting for recycling or rubbish. Instead turn them into hand held waterers. They're just right to give individual plants a watering without damaging the leaf or overwatering.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 20 April 2012
These tops screw easily onto a bottle (I use a 500ml water bottle) and produce a really nice fine drizzle of water so you don't churn up the compost and uncover the seeds. It's also good if you have enthusiastic young children who want to help with watering plants but can't control the flow from a watering can well enough (and minimises any potential spillage!).
on 13 June 2015
I've got my smart valve sat in a 29" by 7" self watering tray that i purchased from twowests.co.uk that has two weeks watering in itself.and it works perfectly and the smart valve I've hooked up to a 20ltr bucket (can be connected to any water tank) so that's about 2 and half months of watering all together (with out it raining) 10/10 for this device.would recommend to anyone going on holiday and that wants to keep there plants watered
on 9 May 2013
You have to find the right bottle for theese caps not as you would expect that they would fit any or varied bottles