Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£19.95

on 21 July 2011
Had never heard of this book or it's author, had no idea whether it was fiction or non-fiction as Amazon never gave a description of the book, but I thought the title was intriguing and it had an interesting cover. Also, what 'sold' it is that it was for free!

I soon found out it was a biography of Elliot Tiber, who I'd never heard of so looked him up on Wiki. He's an interior designer who had something to do with Woodstock (this book doesn't cover that part of his life but I'm determined to read his other book about it now.) It's his life story up to when he's approximately 30ish but what a lot was packed into those years. Born into a Jewish family with an overbearing, seemingly incapable of praise mother he left home, a bright young man with a talent for art, changed his name and went on to become an Interior Designer in New York in the 50's and 60's (a career which seemed to embrace the fact that he was gay when there was so much homophobia outside his 'circle') - and that's when the trouble started! I'll not give away what happened next (the clue is in the title, mob, Judy Garland etc) but in my opinion it was an exciting but also very emotional read.

Mr Tiber has an eloquent but easily readable style of writing and, for me, this book was a joy. I couldn't wait to pick up my Kindle to continue to find out what happened to this guy next.

While it's free take a chance on it. If I'd known how good it was I would have gladly paid for it.
on 27 July 2011
I actually liked this book, which surprised me. A book you can pick up and put down, and also have a bit of a laugh. Bonus was it was free and also did not contain spelling mistakes etc commonly found in kindle issues.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 20 September 2011
The full title of this book is Palm Trees on the Hudson A true story of the Mob, Judy Garland and Interior Decoration. When I bought a new Kindle Reader I downloaded this free book from the Kindle Store and soon became engrossed. At first I thought it was a book in the same vein as somebody like Bill Bryson. I had no idea who Elliot Tiber was but soon got pulled into his New York world of interior designs, parties, Greenwich Village and the gay scene.

Tiber weaves characters in and out of the book including his overbearing mother and a run down motel which he invests in. It took some time for the light to dawn that this was the motel featured in the Woodstock Festival and Tiber's best known book is Taking Woodstock which was turned into a film directed by Ang Lee. So being rather ignorant paid dividends as I was able to thoroughly enjoy this book without any preconceptions regarding just what it was about. A highly enjoyable read.
on 2 August 2011
I puchased this book as it was free on the kindle, that day anyway. i had no idea what it was about, whether it was fiction or a biography, or a biography style fiction book. it was a thoroughly good interesting read. good fast pace. i would recomed it. i am now assuming it was a true bigoraphy, but who knows.
set in the 60's in new york about a jewish boy growing up and becoming an interior designer.
on 5 August 2011
The main reason for reading this was the price, which was free at the time. I am so glad I stumbled accros this book, its well written, the author gives a very honest account of his life, love, mistakes and the amazing events which take place. I was totally hooked and couldnt put it down. fast pace, interesting, laugh-out-loud and shocking. Certainly worth a read. I am now going to read his next book
on 6 December 2011
Throughly enjoyed reading this and was sad to get to the end, I also had no idea what it was about and had never heard of Elliot Tiber but downloaded it anyway, im so glad i did! will also be downloading his other 'life' telling book about woodstock. Certainly worth 5* stars
on 9 August 2011
A really intresting story very easy to read,amusing and thought provoking. An intresting life that is one that you can relate to, makes you want to learn more. Would highly recommend *******
on 6 June 2013
It's was an OK read although it certainly didn't live up to the reviews. July Garland IS mentioned in the book but its almost just in passing. Don't get excited about it