5.0 out of 5 stars Great item, dangerously complacent packaging
I don't normally bring up the issue of Amazon packaging, because Amazon are normally so good at it. I feel it's fair to give the product 5 stars since I rated the packaging 1 star in my "order history"

The first hard drive I'd purchased from Amazon (fulfilled is still essentially Amazon) was shipped within two boxes and plenty of foam.

This hard...
Published on 12 Jun. 2011 by J.Y

3.0 out of 5 stars very noisy!
I usually buy Samsung hard drives as they are very quiet & never go wrong. This time around, I wanted the SATA-III 6BG/s feature, so decided to buy two WD Caviar Black drives to run as a RAID 1 unit.

I have no problem at all with the performance of the WD drives, but they are so noisy! I am always aware of the constant clicking of the heads as they read & write...
Published on 28 Aug. 2011 by Daddio

5.0 out of 5 stars Great item, dangerously complacent packaging, 12 Jun. 2011
This review is from: WD 2TB Desktop SATA Hard Drive OEM - Black (Personal Computers)

This hard drive however was shipped in it's anti-static bag (which offers no impact protection), a thin layer of bubblewrap and finally a cardboard envelope Amazon normally ship books in.

Now you wouldn't yourself package a hard drive like this and post it through your own front door but that's what happened and I can't imagine the impact that the hard drive must have absorbed. Quite frankly I should have returned the drive.

Yet I installed it and it appears to be working fine. Is backed up by a 5 year warranty, and there aren't any signs of damage in terms of physical appearance or when shaking the unit.

Drive performance is actually very good. Games load a lot quicker than my 5400rpm drive and the stuttering I used to get in some data intensive games like GTA IV are gone.

If you transfer heavy amounts, the drive is significantly quicker than other 7200rpm drives. I found just under 300gb to be transferred in under 3 hours with a few other transfers happening simultaneously.

Noise is the only real concern. When transferring, the clicking sound is very noticible. To reduce this, ensure you defragment your drive once all your programs are loaded, and you should be as happy with your purchase as I am, minus the packaging issues.

5.0 out of 5 stars Engineered for longevity, 2 Sept. 2012
With Sisoft Sandra 2011 benchmark, this WD2002FAEX 2TB drive averages reads of 104-110 MB/s (peak 134 MB/s) which is marginally slower than my old Samsung 1TB F3's 110-115 MB/s (peak 161MB/s) even though I have the WD short-stroking at 1TB capacity, but please read on. In the manufacturer website specs the WD has an expected life of 300,000 cycles and 5yr warranty whereas the samsung only 50,000 and warranty starting from 1 year, which IMHO confirms some users reports of early F3 failure. Also I feel some programs are loading much quicker than on my old drive, and this could be down to differences in cache size (64MB vs samsungF3 32MB) and in small file management so I am quite happy with the WD speed for my day to day work. The rest of the specs are pretty standard with a shock tolerance of 30/65/300G, NR errors of 1 in 10^14 (samsung F3 1 in 10^15 but warranty is not helpful) and 10.7W average power drain for intensive read/write. You will be relieved to know it's also a product of Thailand. For those in the know, I should point out that wdidle3 program returns a value of disabled for this drive, so its nice to know you'll not need to disable the idle park feature yourself as was necessary on the WDC green series.
I mirrored my old drive to this one via Acronis 2011 but it took around 24 hours via USB 2 even though my disk is just under 1TB. Perhaps you could be more prepared and setup your eSATA connection to avoid the long wait! A lot of people are reporting this drive is noisy. I don't think so. If you are mounting directly to an aluminium case and you have your case on top of your desk, it may well bother you. If you have some sort of drive damper and your case is under your desk then NO it wont, which is my current setup. I agree this WDC black is somewhat louder but not a great deal of difference between my old F3 and this one once it is mounted and beneath my desk. The noise could be down to the dual-stage actuators, which means 2 head-motors rather than one, but this feature is for the sake of data accuracy. Personally, I would rather be able to hear my drive activity than it work in complete silence, as this enables me to detect new programs/processes that produce unecessary read/write cycles such as adware or even spyware. A possible downside (depending on ur setup) to this drive is that temps run at 40-45 celcius range during the summer (max 46C on hottest day) despite a drive cooler, my aluminium case ventilated by one front intake 80mm fan and a high rpm 80mm exhaust fan (not the best ventilation). Actually this temp could be optimum as I found a paper by E. Pinheiro (Google inc) that links cooler drives to higher failure. But don't let it go above 45. In conclusion this hard drive performs very well, is built for longevity, data security and definitely worth the investment.

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent drive, 16 April 2012
this 2tb drive is very fast and has lessened my need for an expensive ssd to an extent. while the drive is quite noisy at first it soon becomes quieter and gets a 5 star recommendation from me.the performance will suprise you, boot up time is also boosted and i will be pairing this drive with a cache ssd soon(intel smart response or other) for the ultimate performance.sorry amazon i had to buy it cheaper elsewhere so it was one hell of a bargain.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great disk and a friendly warning about using newer disks in ZFS pools..., 25 Mar. 2015
Although discontinued some time last year (2014), this disk was deliberately purchased in preference to its newer and cheaper replacement. This older disk has 512 byte sectors while the new replacement has 4096 byte sectors, with built-in 512 byte sector emulation for older systems & disk controllers. For most people, this 512 byte emulation is fine and allows newer 4k sector Advanced Format disks to be used as direct replacements. However, if the entire unpartitioned disk is being used in a ZFS pool built with 512 byte sector disks (as in my case), replacing a failed disk with a newer 4096 byte disk won't work and the ZFS 'zpool replace' command will abort displaying a warning about sector size mismatch. In this case it's essential that an exact replacement is fitted.

DIsk is working fine, replacing a failed disk in a 8TB ZFS pool with no problems, rebuilding itself in about 3 hours.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another bit for the next build, 12 Dec. 2013
This is a hard drive that is highly rated. 2TB gives you loads of space for the storage. I have a SSD drive that I shall use for the operating system and will probably add another of these and set them up in a RAID 1 set up to provide me with an instant copy of all my work as security incase one disk fails.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just what you need, 30 July 2013
Excellent hard drive. Fast, quiet and really helps performance.
I have used WD Black drives for the last two years and they really are excellent. Fast access speeds and data transfer speeds. Very quiet operation.
Reliable.
Well built.
Combine this with an SSD and your system will fly.
Highly recommended and will always use this - until WD come up with a new box of tricks that is! Nuff said.

5.0 out of 5 stars packaging appears to have improved!, 14 May 2013
i just got one of these black drives... packaging was native WD box with the drive suspened inside, this box was then inside another amazon box so the drive arrived in perfect condition. Install was no probs in my PC which is now flying in comparison to the green drive that was clearly not a good choice for a drive that has the OS installed on.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great drive and great packaging, 25 Mar. 2013
This is a great drive -- I have used Caviar Blacks as video drives on video editing PCs for years. I was, however, slightly hesitant in ordering this latest drive due to the many comments here about poor packaging. I hence want to report that my drive arrived very well packaged indeed -- in one of the "old style" hard drive cardboard boxes, and within a lot of foam inside that (more than required!), and sealed up in tape labelled "FRAGILE"! So maybe Amazon have addressed the issue that others have raised here. Either way I am very pleased with both the drive, and the care taken to package it to arrive undamaged.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great, 22 Feb. 2013
High quality disks that i've used several times. I install them into NVR servers and don't have many reliability issues.

5.0 out of 5 stars No problems, 21 Feb. 2013
Our son installed this when the old one died. It seems to be doing all that you expect from a hard-drive. It arrived on time and well packaged.

WD 2TB Desktop SATA Hard Drive OEM - Black