Crystal Sounds
Format: Audio CDChange
Price:£12.99+£1.26shipping

on 21 February 2011
Well, it's been a while getting to a release of the third album from this amazing and very underrated band.

This album has been worth the wait and from start to finish is a real treat for the ears.

Melodic, well crafted songs with intelligent lyrics and a delicate voice make this very easy on the ears but nonetheless it is carried off with substance.

Each track is worthy of 5 stars but the way in which the album has been put together makes me wish I could award an additional one. The order of the songs has been carefully thougt about and when listening to this from start to finish I found myself applauding at the end of the album. There are some additional tracks here vs the preview album (which the band initially made avaialable to all on their website), for clarity I've marked these with a "*" below.

1. Crystal Sounds - The opening number whichs starts of with what I can only describe as a pounding of hooves, but builds quickly into a really excellent track, full of layers and depth.

2. The Loneliest Star - Some great keyboard & guitar work on this track, which builds from a slowish start into classic Thirteen Senses. Echoes of tracks from their debut album but with an edgier feel.

3. Home - The best track on the album, for me by a mile. The chorus is just beautiful, and the guitar work superb. If it doesn't make it as a single I can see this appearing in some of the American dramas/sitcoms such as House etc.

4. Imagine Life - One of the weaker tracks in my opinion, although the lyrics are interesting. Think this is a song about aliens....

5. Suddenly (*) - The first "previously unheard" track and paced slightly faster than what we are used to. Some excellent lyrics "I must have been running for miles out of my mind, but I never got tired, I must have been wired", really enjoyable and a welcome addition.

6. Animals - Instrumental for the first couple of minutes, and builds layer upon layer right the way through, and leaves us with some floating strings. Mesmerising

7. After The Retreat - One of my favourites, excellent guitar work, slightly heavier in places but the lyrics are delivered brilliantly.

8. I Saw Stars Disappear - Classic guitar work with a familiar sound

9. Answer - A nice track, mid tempo with some haunting background vocals, but for me not one that really gives me that euphoric feeling.

10. Out There - A tinkling piano background offsets the slightly falsetto opening vocals, before building into familiar territory. Really like the ending, which is lengthy but worthwhile, and where the preview album ended.

11. Send Myself To Sleep (*) - A slightly meloncholy love song, with storyline type lyrics. A nice but undramatic song.

12. Concept (*) - Really like this new track, which works by building in familiar guitar & piano hooks with some of the usual fine lyrics. Seems to hold back the voice a touch, which adds a little something.

13. In The Crowding (*) - A brilliant track to end a fantastic album, feels familiar to something Crowded House would do whilst retaining their own unique sound.

Supremely enjoyable, a real pleasure to listen to, from a little known band. Get it now, and enjoy the magic before the commercial stations pick up on it.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 25 February 2011
This has been a long time coming. I saw them on Tuesday at the 'Garage in Highbury where they played their socks off and gave me a live sneak of the album that was waiting for me at home.
This work is arguably more refined than the first 2 but equally melodical, euphoric and triumphant. A huge amount of work has gone into this. If you know 'Contact' and 'The Invitation' then this will not disappoint you. They have grown up musically but haven't lost any of their charm and are very subtle in how some of these melodies really get hold of your head....
I love the fact these guys don't know how good they are. They could have it all if they really wanted it.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
This album has been a long time coming. Thirteen Senses haven't released an album since 'Contact' in 2007, and the third album has been pushed back and delayed on more than one occasion. But now it has finally arrived, and it's clear from the first track that it was worth the wait!

'Crystal Sounds' is the opening track, and is in my opinion the standout track on the album and a real testament to how much the band have developed, whilst retaining their own sound. I was similarly blown away by the opening track on another hugely underrated album ('Beneath this Burning Shoreline' by Cherry Ghost) which also showed just how much the band had improved.

The album flows beautifully from start to finish, and contains three extra tracks at the end which see the band trying out some different ideas. 'Send Myself To Sleep' is my favourite of these three. 'The Loneliest Star', 'Home', and 'Out There' are also standouts for me, and I'm sure that more tracks will stand out the more I listen.

Thoroughly recommended!
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 1 April 2011
So pleased to have 'rediscovered' 13 Senses - I 'missed' the second album completely - but this is awesome and equal if not better than the Invitation. I like the way they tried to create a 'body of work' in the first 10 tracks - the final track OUT THERE ends with a 'reprise' of the opening track albeit a little disguised - clever stuff. And then the 3 additional tracks at the end are also awesome - I think Concept is probably my favorite track on the whole album. I am a massive EMBRACE fan and have felt a VOID in the music scene since they disbanded (never to return...?) so how great to have 13 senses back. Truly underrated. I hope there are some gigs lined up soon.

PS I agree with the reviewer below - on headphones this album takes on an incredible vibe and transports you for an hour to another world.

GREAT STUFF!
on 20 January 2012
Don't get me wrong, it's a decent album from a decent band but it's not brilliant, like some other reviews. The use of 5 stars has to be reserved for game changing albums which will last in your memory till the day you die.

I've had it for a few weeks now and it's not ever going to make it into my top 100 albums of all time. The 5 star rating some people have given it is more than generous i feel.

It's the kind of album that you'll come across on your mp3 every now and again, and go "oh i haven't heard that in a while". You'll listen to it, enjoy it but then soon forget it. Some albums will stay with you forever, whilst this is decent, it's also slightly forgettable. Worth £3 of anyone's money though
on 21 February 2011
I loved Thirteen Senses when they first came out - then I genuinely forgot about them until a few weeks ago - and was chuffed to see a new album imminent.

So inevitably the last few weeks have been spent playing 'The Invitation' to death (try 'Saving' and 'Undivided' - great stuff) in anticipation of Crystal Sounds - as well as checking out a few of the new songs on You Tube. (don't forget album 2 - 'Contact' - a few gems such as 'Animal' and 'Call Someone')

So the CD arrives today and it's top notch - lots more listening to be done - as well as the big songs - see 'Home' / 'Answer' / 'Lonelieast Star' - there's a real variety and complexity going on here. 'Animals' sounds pretty inspiring and goes to various places, as does 'After the Retreat'. 'Out There' is epic, 'Concept' and 'Send Myself to Sleep' more subtle. Basically great music for headphones, a bit of dreaming and anyone who likes great tunes with a bit of edge and innovation.

So the challenge is...Will you join me and spread the word?

How do you try and influence an album's appeal and success so that it ends up being one of those albums that everyone's putting on their lists by Christmas list time ('what do you mean you haven't got 'Crystal Sounds' yet?) - I'm not sure but I genuinely think you should listen and love this album, then maybe let a few others know...
on 13 April 2011
I live in Cornwall and this Cornish band certainly does the county proud. Their music is fantastic and so are their live performances. Glad to see this album out as it had been a while. It has passion and emotions all wrapped up the lyrics. I must admit it took more than a couple of listens to get into this album compared to their previous ones, but it is definitely a grower stuck on repeat.

Yet another amazing album from Thirteen Senses!
on 28 November 2011
This is the album Keane should be wishing they made ever since the absolute nonsense they have suddenly started to produce. Thirteen Senses have produced one hell of a gem here, cleaver stuff with lots more cleaver stuff in the background when you listen to this album on headphones. I know I keep going on about it, but I loved Keane`s first two albums, hated everything after that, this album has a lot of similar stuff going on, and at times the singer guy who I am ashamed I know not his name, actually sounds a bit like the other guy, him from Keane who`s name I know not either. I believe I will be playing this till the spinny thing in my CD player crys out for mercy, and then I`ll listen to it on me MP3 player, love this album, love this band. Keane...take note.

8. I Saw Stars Disappear - Classic guitar work with a familiar sound

11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 29 September 2011
Hey I am 62 and just listened to Thirteen Senses, excellent band and Into The Fire is a classic in the making!! Now, where is me zimmer frame?Into The Fire