5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning, beautiful, well crafted & brilliantly produced., 21 Feb 2011
This review is from: Crystal Sounds [Amazon Exclusive Signed Version] (Audio CD)
Well, it's been a while getting to a release of the third album from this amazing and very underrated band.

This album has been worth the wait and from start to finish is a real treat for the ears.

Melodic, well crafted songs with intelligent lyrics and a delicate voice make this very easy on the ears but nonetheless it is carried off with substance.

Each track is worthy of 5 stars but the way in which the album has been put together makes me wish I could award an additional one. The order of the songs has been carefully thougt about and when listening to this from start to finish I found myself applauding at the end of the album. There are some additional tracks here vs the preview album (which the band initially made avaialable to all on their website), for clarity I've marked these with a "*" below.

1. Crystal Sounds - The opening number whichs starts of with what I can only describe as a pounding of hooves, but builds quickly into a really excellent track, full of layers and depth.

2. The Loneliest Star - Some great keyboard & guitar work on this track, which builds from a slowish start into classic Thirteen Senses. Echoes of tracks from their debut album but with an edgier feel.

3. Home - The best track on the album, for me by a mile. The chorus is just beautiful, and the guitar work superb. If it doesn't make it as a single I can see this appearing in some of the American dramas/sitcoms such as House etc.

4. Imagine Life - One of the weaker tracks in my opinion, although the lyrics are interesting. Think this is a song about aliens....

5. Suddenly (*) - The first "previously unheard" track and paced slightly faster than what we are used to. Some excellent lyrics "I must have been running for miles out of my mind, but I never got tired, I must have been wired", really enjoyable and a welcome addition.

6. Animals - Instrumental for the first couple of minutes, and builds layer upon layer right the way through, and leaves us with some floating strings. Mesmerising

7. After The Retreat - One of my favourites, excellent guitar work, slightly heavier in places but the lyrics are delivered brilliantly.

8. I Saw Stars Disappear - Classic guitar work with a familiar sound

9. Answer - A nice track, mid tempo with some haunting background vocals, but for me not one that really gives me that euphoric feeling.

10. Out There - A tinkling piano background offsets the slightly falsetto opening vocals, before building into familiar territory. Really like the ending, which is lengthy but worthwhile, and where the preview album ended.

11. Send Myself To Sleep (*) - A slightly meloncholy love song, with storyline type lyrics. A nice but undramatic song.

12. Concept (*) - Really like this new track, which works by building in familiar guitar & piano hooks with some of the usual fine lyrics. Seems to hold back the voice a touch, which adds a little something.

13. In The Crowding (*) - A brilliant track to end a fantastic album, feels familiar to something Crowded House would do whilst retaining their own unique sound.

Supremely enjoyable, a real pleasure to listen to, from a little known band. Get it now, and enjoy the magic before the commercial stations pick up on it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hidden Gem, 5 April 2011
This album will be another underexposed and underrated gem from the Cornish boys. Like Contact and The Invitation before that, the album is a bit of a slow burner. On my first listen I thought the album was good, but not great, but now it has been on repeat on a playlist with about 4 other albums in my mp3 for the past few weeks I'm totally hooked, and believe this really is their best album yet. If you are smart enough to pay the extra few pounds for the Amazon exclusive signed version you will get the treat of the 3 acoustic versions of The Loneliest Star, Home, and After The Retreat, all of which sound great in full band version, but the acoustic versions are just chillingly beautiful. I'm trying to single one out as the best of the 3 but I just cant.

There's a few average moments on the album, of which I "Saw Stars Disappear" is probably the most average, but if you want a melancholic thought provoking album sung by in my eyes one of the most unique and true voices in music today this fits the bill. Its clear to me that every note of every song has been crafted with great care, hence the AGE it took for the album to be released!

If you're a fan of The XX, and I hate to say it but Coldplay (13 Senses repeatedly have been branded a poor mans Coldplay, not true, not fair on their own unique style), and if you liked earlier Embrace before they became soulless chart raiders, you'll love Thirteen Senses.

5.0 out of 5 stars A delight to the senses, 29 Mar 2011
T. Bunting "TaBunny" (London) - See all my reviews
I'd never heard of this band and bought this and their other 2 albums on the recommendation of a friend, oh boy am I glad I did. The music, lyrics and voices of the artists are just heavenly. The soulful sounds put me in the mind of Keane, infact had I heard it without knowing I would've thought it was a new Keane album. Have a listen for yourself you will love them.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just awesome, 11 Mar 2011
Dan Glaser "danglase" (Spain) - See all my reviews
This third album seems like it's been a long time coming. Their second album, 'Contact' arrived with little fanfare in 2007 and was relatively poorly received, although I must say that I thought it was exceptionally good. This however is a whole lot better. Some achingly beautiful songs meet some glorious arrangements and the whole thing just feels right. I think I can safely predict that this album won't do very well either, as it is just too good for public consumption. It'll sell to the diehard fans and will, after a short while, find its way into the CD bargain bins nationwide. (I really do hope I'm wrong about my prediction). Rather sad actually, as this is a quite brilliant effort. If Coldplay had released this, it would shift by the lorry load. The music industry really has got quite a lot to answer for. Incidentally if you purchase the disc through Amazon, this particular version features 3 acoustic bonus tracks which round off the album sublimely.

5.0 out of 5 stars Imagine Life, 15 Mar 2011
Fletch-a-sketch "Fletch" (Wiltshire, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
I had never heard of Crystal Sounds prior to hearing the song `Thirteen senses` as an Amazon Free download. It was a nice enough song and with enough interest in it to be not dismissed as just another pop band, so I took the leap of faith and bought the album.
What a great album and giving me hope that there is a lot of great music outside of what could be considered the mainstream.
The music is Pop-rock almost progressive pop, we have acoustic and electric instruments keyboard drums etc all expertly and intelligently played. The albums core ten tracks are well put together and don't outstay their welcome, in fact in the case of the close song `Out there' leaves you wanting more. The sound itself reminds me a bit of `Anathema' especially their last album, with a hint of the `Pineapple thief' not a bad thing at all difficult to categorise though.
Unusually there are then 6 bonus songs the first three are song which sit outside of the core of the album the last three acoustic versions of three album track, `The Loneliest Star',' Home' and `After the retreat', all of which are very well played. I look forward to their next album and discovering more about the band.

5.0 out of 5 stars One word - AMAZING!, 23 May 2011
If you liked early Keane you will LOVE this, Thirteen senses are even better, the bands songs are incredible, each one a work of art, please please just buy it,you won't be disappointed. A fantastic cd, and an incredible body of work..

Crystal Sounds [Amazon Exclusive Signed Version]
Crystal Sounds [Amazon Exclusive Signed Version] by Thirteen Senses (Audio CD - 2011)