4.0 out of 5 stars DON'T LOOK UP
Published 4 months ago by STEVENSEAGALFAN

2.0 out of 5 stars It is a different kind of film
When we think about sci-fi films we always think of big budget end of the world blockbusters that have lots of shooting, explosions, involve the US military in some way or another and of course, a big fat happy ending where we beat the aliens and crack open some cold beers to celebrate rescuing the world once again.

But honestly - why aren't we tired of that...
Published 11 months ago by Griesmayer

4.0 out of 5 stars DON'T LOOK UP, 17 Jan. 2015
This review is from: Skyline [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
*** SPOILER ALERT*** Very good film but for me it should of ended ten minutes earlier, why do they do that? I know they have to have some excuse for a sequel but the ending was abysmal. The film is set in Los Angles when some weird things start falling out of the sky in the dead of night, people are attracted by light shining through there windows, which then takes over them, then they are taken up to the sky, this is the start of a alien invasion.

There is a great scene when the army fight back by sending nuclear drones to attack the alien mother ship which is huge and looks brilliant, and there are some great action when the aliens hunt down the remaining survivors. I was really enjoying the film right up to the point when the two main characters were take up to the ship, it should of ended there with the shots of the invasion from the rest of the world being taken over, but no they had to push it a little bit further with a crap ending, when will they learn? to tell you the truth, when I watch this film again I will turn it off at that point.

***FEATURES BELOW***

Deleted, Alternate and Extended scenes
Pre-Visualization
Trailers
Feature and bonus audio commentaries

4.0 out of 5 stars Incredibly entertaining tripe., 22 Mar. 2011
G. H. Button "G.B" (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Skyline [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
This is one of those films that is incredibly difficult to rate. As you will be aware, and having been made abundantly clear from other reviews; the script in this film is terrible. There is no denying that fact, but going into this film with that knowledge increases the entertainment to no end.

This is a film that that is greater than the sum of its parts in my opinion. A bad script, and by extension bad acting actually do little to harm it. In fact the worst (though still enjoyable) parts of this film are the most derivative scenes, of which there are plenty. War of the Worlds and Independence Day are probably the most plagiarised, but any sci-fi afficianado will spot plenty of stolen scenes.

I suppose what really redeemed this film was the action scenes, as well as the most engaging alien threat committed to film since the aforementioned War of the Worlds remake. Make no mistake, the aliens are not as threatening or original as can be found elsewhere, but they do have a sense of overwhelming doom that most end of the world films really fail to convey.

In the end, the relatively small budget is evident in the acting and not the action, and in reaching for the sky and coming up short this ambitious film is destined to garner bad reviews and a lot of hate, but will be considered a flawed gem by a cult following. And rightly so, as with the right mindset this is an enjoyable action flick that is easy on the brain (Unless you happen to star in the film. Watch it, you'll see what I mean).

2.0 out of 5 stars It is a different kind of film, 1 July 2014
Griesmayer (Wien, Österreich) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Skyline [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)

But honestly - why aren't we tired of that already? Skyline is a unique film in that it has ALL of the aforementioned elements, save the last. However, all these elements do not actually turn the tables in our favor. Skyline is a film which predominantly takes place around a small group of everyday people trying to escape a high rise building when the alien invasion happens. None of them is a soldier, none of them has any sort of actual plan or plot armor to get the ball rolling. In a way, this approach draws us in to the movie and makes us feel like we're part of this group. We feel helpless, also not knowing what to do except survive...somehow. Stay in the building and wait it out or try and make a run for it? We are drawn into the characters' decisions and as all hell breaks loose both at the bottom of, and on top of the building, we begin to realize this just cannot end well. And thats what Skyline is all about - it takes a sobre, realistic approach to a "what if it actually - I mean actually happened" scenario rather than your typical Hollywood formula, and thats what makes this movie unique. The last five minutes are arguably the most unique and the most bone chilling of all science fiction films made so far, so it is definitely worth a look.

That being said, the special effects themselves are also stunning and translate well onto 1080p blu-ray. The alien concepts are also well realized, and despite this being a panned "b-movie", I felt like it had - at least when it comes to the antagonists - all the right elements for any triple A blockbuster.

However at the end of the day, the lack of an actual plot or scenery change is indeed a bit of a letdown, and ultimately you really dont feel like watching this again. Thus, two good stars out of five, but not more.

4.0 out of 5 stars Always judge a film yourself - never listen to the critics., 12 Oct. 2011
N. Thompson "Beaker" (Hull, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Skyline [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
Having read the reviews on amazon.co.uk and listened to some of the critics in the media, I expected this film to be either a complete turkey like the Phanton Menace, or overly corney like Independance Day, or clithe'd and irriting like Battlefield Los Angeles. Rather suprisingly, what I actually witnessed when watching Skyline was a low-budget sci-fi movie that actually works. The special effects are decent, the acting is acceptable, the story is fine for the genre and the film has a nice blend of action, horror and sci-fi.

Usually, when a film has been trashed as much as this has, you tend to lower your expectations ..... and then a close-to-average film like this is all the more enjoyable. I would urge anyone (who is a fan of horror, action, sci-fi) to read the negative reviews and then to watch the movie itself to make up your own mind. I bet most of those that do will be pleasantly suprised.

Myself, I dont like films that are too corney or cheasey .... but by the standards set by the genre - this is decent and certainly an improvement on previous rubbish such as Independance Day or Battlefield Los Angeles.

In short make up your own mind.

2.0 out of 5 stars So Much Promise, So Little Delivered, 11 Jan. 2012
David Mcdougall (Doncaster, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Skyline [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
I was very open-minded when it came to Skyline. It's been repeatedly slated as garbage and a film with little or no storyline. And to some extent, that's true. But it does, believe it or not, have some plus points.

First off, the story - it's flat and hollow. And even then it's full of holes. Some of the characters are annoying, and it does stagnate quite a lot, mainly due to the location - an apartment block. But there is light at the end of the tunnel.

SPOILER BELOW

The film dared to be different, very different. Instead of the usual gung-ho attitude usually abundant in films like this (Independence Day, Battle: LA) it shows a very different outcome to our fight for survival: we lose. As a species, we're overcome, overrun and soundly thrashed. But the last scene does include a ray of hope for our collective survival in the film.

If you're not a hardcore sci-fi fan, then don't buy it. And even if you are, it probably won't be to your taste. The visuals are impressive. But this film could have been so much more.

Oh, and don't expect to transfer the digital copy to iTunes, it's not that sort of digital copy and it won't work on a Mac.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not that bad as people moan about, 27 Mar. 2011
This review is from: Skyline [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
This film is completely different from indepance day etc. It's a new take on alien invasion movies and I do rather like it. It's not amazing but is noway a diabolical film which some people are making out to be. The only downer is indeed the ending however. Not that great. If the ending was much better this would be 4 stars

1.0 out of 5 stars Not even so bad it's brilliant.., 2 Dec. 2014
This review is from: Skyline [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
Saw this in the cinema ,where my friend worked, for free on her family discount. There were six of us in there, of whom I think two or three were staff. We laughed quite a lot, which I don't think was the point of the movie.
It wasn't quite worth every penny I didn't spend. So, save your pennies and buy "Contact" instead..

1.0 out of 5 stars A remake of "Over Sexed Rugsuckers from Mars" (1989), 12 Aug. 2011
bernie "xyzzy" (Arlington, Texas) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Terry (Donald Faison) sees the light after a night of debauchery. Or does the light see him? In any case he's consumed with aliens. This is a real brain teaser. The noisy music is what probably drew aliens with better taste.

I have never seen a more pitiful excuse for a movie. It's the standard invasion movie you know like "War of the Worlds" without the pathos. Even Stephen King would barf. As you know even a Stephen King formula is to keep it almost believable, not inconceivable. A better duffus film like this would be "Independence Day" (1996) with a better actor Bill Pullman.

I suggest you do not waste your time with this ridicules thing and if you must watch something that has aliens walking the streets and peaking in windows watch Target Earth (1954).

Target Earth ~ Richard Denning

Over Sexed Rugsuckers from Mars

2.0 out of 5 stars Ending?, 11 Mar. 2013
This review is from: Skyline [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
What ending? its left wide open for a second film but doesnt deserve one, bad script!

This film could have been great if they actually thought out a decent plot but unfortunatly falls flat on its alien a**.

2stars for good cgi but thats about it! I wish the aliens took my brain and ate it after watching this.

This film has many annoying parts (Spoilers below)

Why try to escape the flat? there was still no real reason to step outside.
Ok so they decide to escape, why take an open top ferrari which is so loud the aliens where waiting (god knows how he crawled out of the car alive)
"Turn that tv off they will see us" how about lower the brightness... DOI!
One side of the window blinds "fell off" after the missle attack? this was not explained especially as the windows where intact.

4.0 out of 5 stars A review by a 'real' Science Fiction fan, 3 May 2011
This review is from: Skyline [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
I suspect many of the bad reviews for this film are from 'part-time' sci-fi fans.

Firstly, this film kept me entertained all the way through; at no point did i look at my watch or stare repeatedly away from the screen. Most times i know roughly what to expect from a film; in this instance i didn't assume something along the lines of Citizen Kane or some braindead romcom - what i got was a good honest alien invasion film with a little bit of innovation, a few surprises and some cliches, acting which will never win any oscars, some very good action sequences, and decent special effects, considering the budget. I never over analyse a film when i'm watching it (as some filmgoers do), this spoils my entertainment, which to be honest is what we all want, isn't it, to be entertained?

As for the Blu-Ray presentation itself - picture quality is good, the sound (DTS HD-A/Master) is first rate.

A great addition to my film collection.

Skyline [Blu-ray]
Skyline [Blu-ray] by Colin Strause (Blu-ray - 2011)