on 10 March 2014
Being guitarist in a band from 1958 and dare I say still doing the gigs,This book brought it all back to me a great read from. a great writer.Mike Black
on 9 June 2012
Pam Howes takes us back to exciting times in the early sixties, when the growth of sex, drugs and rock n roll burst onto the music scene. They were heady times for young people, with new freedoms and opportunities. This era gave birth to a lot of big names, leaving a legacy of music which is very much alive and kicking today.
The author captures the mood of those times with ease, and I took a trip down memory lane with the references to landmarks such as Ringway- now Manchester International Airport- the fish n chip suppers, the films and cars of that time, all the crazy fashions and Jackie magazine! It is proudly working class, and rich with the expectations, hopes and dreams of that time. It is more than a love story and it has more than one complicated thread wrapped around the central plot; that of the rise to fame of The Raiders. And it has plenty to offer anyone too young to remember the real mods and rockers with it's romantic, teenage angst and all the relationship problems with parents, friends and lovers.
It is a very special skill to write in any one particular year, because the plot and the characters need to exist solely in those times. No birth pill, no mobile phone, no internet, no major roads. The list is endless but the author has a firm handle on all the `props.'
A small negative now; the balance of dialogue to narrative. I would have loved more of a reflective, thoughtful kind of backstory from the main characters in place of some of the dialogue. In fact Pam's style has a distinct screenplay type quality to it, given her penchant for dialogue...hint hint programme makers out there! Now who could we have to play Eddie? Yes, in places this novel reminds me of those wonderful programmes Heartbeat and Happy Days. Nostalgia done well is so appealing, even for those outside of the era looking in.
A complete story in itself, Three Steps draws to a climax but the door has been left sufficiently ajar for the next book in the series. Who can resist?
on 3 February 2012
Set in the early 1960s, Three Steps to Heaven follows the story of Eddie and Jane, their love, struggles, friendships and the bearing their past relationships have on their future happiness.

The couple should be together, but Jane is engaged to Mark and Eddie has had to marry the pregnant Angie and give up his dreams of making it big with rock band The Raiders. When they meet up again several years later, the spark is still there and they begin an affair. There are many changes in store and their lives, and those of others, are turned upside down by events.

Author, Pam Howes, writes skilfully about the 60s and the music scene making it easy to visualise the era. As the story moves along, a darker, more sinister aspect creeps in involving Jane's abandoned lover; Mark, growing more and more mentally unstable, becomes a threat until, in the end, a tragedy occurs.
on 27 June 2012
I thoroughly enjoyed this book, which could be because I was around in the early sixties. Even though I was only a boy at the time, I can remember it clearly (I harboured ambitions to be a Beatle when I grew up) and Pam Howes captures the spirit of the time perfectly.

The story deals with the rise of a band called The Raiders, and the lives of the people around them as they gradually become successful. It also deals with the downside of fame, and how obsession can become all consuming. The sub plot with Mark adds a dark edge to the novel.

Three Steps to Heaven would make an excellent holiday read. It would also make a good period TV drama. If anyone knows a TV producer, push them in the direction of this book.
on 28 January 2014
This is the first book by this author I have read and I am looking forward to reading more books by this author
on 9 October 2011
read all 3 books by this author and thoroughly enjoyed them all its a shame i read the tird one first though-cant wait for more from this author
on 27 September 2011
I really enjoyed this book by Pam Howes.
The sixties is my favourite era so what a pleasant surprise to come across this book.
Pam's book is fast paced with plenty of dialogue and no long boring descriptive scenes. Not that there isn't plenty of description, there is but Pam has the gift of making it part of the scenery so that you feel as if you are actually there.
A really good read and I highly recommend this book.
It goes without saying really that I will be buying...
Always On My Mind
'Til I Kissed You
on 13 January 2014
Will recommend it to a friend as one for a night time reed. Will be eagerly awaiting the next part.
on 21 May 2011
Fabulous story - I found myself really caring what happened to the characters. I'm too young to remember much about the sixties, but I was transported back in time. I had to read the 2nd book as soon as I'd finished this one, and wasn't disappointed. I'm now reading the 3rd in the series, and I would recommend all of them.
on 9 June 2012
Oh I did enjoy this first book in the trilogy! The 60's were my time. I'm not ashamed to say I was a bit of a groupie. I wallowed in nostalgia reading this. I wanted to wait until I finished all three books before sharing my reviews on here. All I can say is that even if you weren't around in this era, it doesn't matter because the story is a sheer delight to read from all perspectives. I really did want to shake some of characters for their foolish mistakes - but they just kept on making them. It is a book you won't want to put down and won't be satisfied until you reach the end. Fantastic read. Thank you so much Pam!Three Steps To Heaven (Pam Howes Rock'n'Roll Romance Series)