4.0 out of 5 stars More please!, 24 Jan 2011
This review is from: Mech 2: The Savant (Imperium Series) (Kindle Edition)
Having read the first book (and really enjoyed it) I was eager to read the follow up. The sequel didn't disappoint. The story feels to progress in a logical manner and is exciting and tense. New character introductions were welcome and helped expand the experience, as did the new Skaintz type. The Skaintz having to adapt to different environmental conditions and creation methods, coupled with a different leader type was great and helped to bring a fresh feel to what could have been just a repeat of the first book.

A quick comment about the aliens, although the "hive" scenario has been explored many times in sci-fi literature I found the approach of making them organised in a sentient manner to be most welcome, having an insight into their insecurities was fascinating and engaging, so often "aliens" of this type are nothing more than mindless killing machines hell bent on destruction with no apparent motivations other than it being some kind of genetically driven rage. It was intriguing and scary to read about "monsters" who made concious and weighted decisions about invading and another species for there own ends.

Although I did enjoy reading (and would love another in the series), I can't help feeling that at times, there were missing details, as though I were reading an abridged version (I would also say the first one made me feel the same way). I'm torn by the feeling as I don't think it's a bad thing for the reader to be left to fill in some of the blanks, creating there own vision of what has gone on, whilst the reader has been elsewhere. At times it felt more like a film experience in that respect.
I guess it leaves me wanting more!

One more thing, the title of this series. Is it just me, or was I foolish to expect it to be more about Mechs than it is? Or have I just missed the point? The Mechs seem very much like supporting cast to the story rather than the focus of it, from which the title would have lead me to believe they would be. Or will they become more prominent as the series moves on?

All that said I really did enjoy the book, and as I said previously, would love another one. Bring it on!

4.0 out of 5 stars Alien-tastic, 17 Mar 2011
This review is from: Mech 2: The Savant (Imperium Series) (Kindle Edition)
I read the first book and you simply have to carry on in to Mech2. The story rolls on from the 1st book nicely with interesting expansions on characters. The author has clearly put some effort in to thinking through just how an alien invasion would work and how we might stop it.
A good read but a little short for my taste (Hence the 4 stars). I would have preferred Mech1+2 as one novel.

4.0 out of 5 stars Keep it Going, 26 Jan 2011
This review is from: Mech 2: The Savant (Imperium Series) (Kindle Edition)
I read the first book and put off buying this one thinking that it'd be a disappointing sequel - how wrong I was.

The second book is just as good as the first and, if you have read the first one, it is all the more in depth. There is more character development and I found myself taking a genuine dislike to Nicu, feeling weary of Zuna and felt chilled at certain points of near-death for the main characters. I definitely recommend the Mech series.

I am giving this 4 stars instead of 5 only because there were even more typographical mistakes than the first (for example, at one point, Aldo is referred to as 'Also'). Whoever is in charge of checking the finished works for spelling is doing a pretty bad job.

5.0 out of 5 stars More awesome, 6 July 2013
This review is from: Mech 2: The Savant (Imperium Series) (Kindle Edition)
This bizarrely named series continues to impress - I have enjoyed every book. It reminds me A LOT of Starcraft! Excellent SciFi.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good follow up, 25 April 2012
This review is from: Mech 2: The Savant (Imperium Series) (Kindle Edition)
Having read the first and second books I was very much looking forward to reading this follow up. Whilst those two had little continuity it was made up for in this one as many of the same characters were re-used, though some were lost and others put in their place which added a slight mix. There was more focus on the mechs in this book but was really an aside to the main story about the aliens.

The only fault that I had about this book was the propulsion system used for the main ship - whilst I understood what the author was getting at I think he missed how inefficient and unrealistic it was, but at least he was using his imagination which does seem to be one of his strong points.

Overall it kept me wanting more, so can't fault (any more of) it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant follow up, 11 Dec 2010
This review is from: Mech 2: The Savant (Imperium Series) (Kindle Edition)
Great follow up, more politics and a new Skaintz type...
Couldn't put this one down either, felt a bit sorry for the Mechs in crates but this just put the outcome on a knife edge.