4.0 out of 5 stars Magical Memoir
Published on 9 Mar. 2011 by Simon Savidge Reads

3.0 out of 5 stars The curse of the inter chapter.
Published on 11 Dec. 2011 by Valentine Gersbach

4.0 out of 5 stars Magical Memoir, 9 Mar. 2011
Simon Savidge Reads "Simon" (Manchester, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
It is hard to decide if `Oranges Are Not The Only Fruit' is a memoir or a piece of fiction, not that the label should matter as it's a corking read, so I think the best way is to say it's a mixture of the two. We are told the story of Jeanette as a young girl growing up under the fierce some and ever watchful eye of `Mrs Winterson' her highly religious mother who has already decided that her adoptive daughter will become a missionary. However the problem with that is two fold. Firstly her daughter, whilst having respect for the church, has a mind of her own and rather strong wills. Secondly, which we discover as we read on, her daughter is one who suffers from the `Unnatural Passions' and falls in love with someone of the same sex.

Being Jeanette Winterson's debut novel it would be easy to simply label this work as `writing what you know' and yet it is so much more than that. The character of Mrs Winterson whilst being a retelling of her mother has a slight fairytale like `wicked stepmother' to it. In fact as the book goes on Winterson inserts small tales starting `once upon a time...' as we go on giving the whole book a slightly magical feel. Her domineering yet quiet tyranny over Jeanette's childhood could have lead Jeanette to become a down trodden doormat. Instead a small fire sparks somewhere and we see a young girl both caught in conflict between religion and sexuality and also pushed on by it.

I wasn't expecting to laugh as much as I did through the novel. This is no misery memoir, though of course its labelled fiction, and whilst in parts it is harrowing (I admit I was petrified of Mrs Winterson often, especially when she did things quietly) there is a lot of joy and hope in the novel. I found the fact Mrs Winterson changed the ending of `Jane Eyre' for her own benefit very amusing and also sad at once as if she could do that there clearly was more to her than met the eye and maybe she just didn't know how to show it.

`Oranges Are Not The Only Fruit' is not only a tale of `coming of age', religion and sexuality. It's a tale of the England and its prejudices and thoughts in the late sixties and early seventies. It wasn't always as swinging as people might believe. It's a book I am very pleased I finally took the time to read, and one that I would definitely urge others to read, if you haven't already of course.

5.0 out of 5 stars orgasmic poetry, 19 Oct. 2003
'One of my earliest memories is me sitting on a sheep at Easter while she told me the story of the Sacrificial Lamb. We had it on Sundays with potato'.
This is just one of the many brilliantly quirky remarks of Jeanette that sparkle throughout Oranges. What so stands her apart from other modern writers in this novel is her signature frank style of writing - a refreshingly clean and matter-of-fact narrative, yet so flawlessly precise and so perfectly encapsulating of the emotions behind different experiences in life. Jeanette's idiosyncratic writing is one where every sentence shines with unadulterated beauty and raw poetic force. Her rare sensitivity and affinity with words and language itself is more than amazing - it is magical.
Oranges is more than Jeanette's autobiography weaven amidst fairytale myths and parables. It is more than a story about the struggle between religion and sexuality. It is the the story of all of us, it is our story. The betrayal of parental figures, the driving force of budding sexuality, the mixture of indifference and indignance towards an ex-lover, the innate loyalty to family deep within, all these are passages of life we all walk through, yet how often is it so penetratingly and unforgettably recorded in a chronicle that will be read again and again for many generations to come. Jeanette is the voice of a generation crying out for independence and the need to be true to our hearts; she is the hidden voice of all of us.
That perhaps is what really makes Oranges so special and personal, that behind Jeanette's dazzling prose we hear our story, our voice.

3.0 out of 5 stars The curse of the inter chapter., 11 Dec. 2011
I've picked this novel up a few times and rejected it as reading matter because of fears that the rather stern earnestness of the author exhibited on various review shows down the years might have produced a dour account of an oppressed childhood rather than a good read.In the end, I was suprised by mix of verbal dexterity and earthy wit that would have done Victoria Wood or even Les Dawson credit.The antics of the central character's ludicrous mother and her crazy Lancashire sect dragged me in immediately and kept me quite happy until repetition of a cycle of rebellion against social and sexual repression followed by punishment by the sect became sadly tedious.

The other rather trying element of the novel is the use of fairy tale or Arthurian interchapters employed, I suppose, to add some kind of psychological depth to the main business of the novel. I tried with the first couple of these and then gave them up through a mixture of incomprehension and wanting to get back to the knockabout stuff in the main storyline.I can see that "Oranges" would have been a very slim volume without these worthy moments of poetic introspection but I could well have done without them.

So, in the end, I enjoyed most of what I read and will look more fondly on Jeanette Winterson when I next see or hear her holding forth on TV or radio but if I try another of her novels, I'll hope for more Les and less Arthur.

5.0 out of 5 stars This book will stretch your mind, 6 Mar. 2000
By A Customer
Jeanette Winterson has written a powerful novel which will challenge the reader on many different levels. Its treatment of the lifestory to young adulthood of a non-conformist woman is so real you can touch the emotion. The layering of one story on another demonstrates Miss Winterson's marvellous technique as a novelist, whilst the way she weaves the Pentateuch into her plot will send you racing to check the original! A great read and well worth a deeper look.

3.0 out of 5 stars A teenager's search for what else is out there, 29 July 2011
Oranges Are Not the Only Fruit was Jeanette Winterson's first novel, and it caused much controversy when it was first published in 1985 due to its heavy criticism of religious customs and superstitions. The main character in the book, Jeanette, is a teenage girl whose family is strongly religious of the Pentecostal faith, and who do not accept Jeannette for who she is. There are many biblical references in the text, as well as quotes, other stories, and historical occurrences.

Jeanette is more rebellious than her religion can allow her to be. She is interested in her sexuality and she experiments with her close friend Melanie, though due to their strict upbringings they are both quite naïve in this respect- neither of them really understand what they are doing. When her church community find out about their encounters, they rigorously exorcise Jeanette, and put her through several other punishments in the hope that her suffering will cleanse her. This may not be a common practice today, but it is often still a very Christian view, and Winterson is somewhat ruthless in portraying it.

There is more to the book than its sexual theme, however. The novel demonstrates the classic clash between an older and younger generation, particularly within a faith that is not willing to evolve with the ages. It is also a journey of self-discovery for Jeanette, and her quest to find her own truth outside of the religious conformity and authority she has always known.

Jeanette's mother has little tolerance for things she disagrees with, and she sees everything in black and white: to her, there is God and The Devil, and there is nothing in between. Hence, she tells Jeanette that 'oranges are the only fruit', but Jeanette is not convinced and is driven to seeking out other types of experience or way of life.

As a first novel Oranges Are Not the Only Fruit is strikingly original and full of literary merit. Personally though I found the book hard to follow, as the themes Winterson uniquely covered at the time of release are now prevalent in many novels, so I found them to be a tad repetitive. I also struggled with some of the language in the book. It is not difficult to read exactly but I found that it took a lot of work to get through, as there is so much to think about in it. I think Oranges is perhaps better as a studied text than a book read for pleasure. I will add however that I am a fan of Winterson, and I think some of her other works which are far more enjoyable than Oranges have been overlooked by the critics.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sex, Religion & Great Writing, 10 Sept. 2007
S. Rankin (UK) - See all my reviews
It's all in the title. This is truely a masterpiece. Being a sort-of biography, the story tells that of Jeanette as a young girl, growing up in a stric religious society whilst having to cope with the struggles of having feelings for another woman.
Throughout the book the main character is faced with the troubles of defying a parental figure, the pains of unacceptance and of course the struggles of lesbianism. Anyone who has fought with the angst of coming to terms with sexuality will relate to this book greatly.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Creation of Reality, 14 Nov. 2002
Eric Anderson (London, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This novel has often been criticised as Winterson's best now that she has gone on to write several powerfully experimental novels. This is implying that she should have remained in these more familiar regions of experience or stuck to a slightly more conventional mode of narrative. What's tremendous about this novel is the way it works as a perfect springboard for the kind of fiction that is being so negatively criticised for its inventiveness. This is a story about a girl who is struggling with the conventions of a restrictive Pentecostal community in a small spot of England, but it is also about the interplay between reality and fiction in people's lives. Jeanette's fables are established to be as valid as the complex religious practices of her family. The characters of the novel constantly differ to a fictional artifice to hold together the reality they cannot understand. Tension builds when the fictional worlds that people struggle to hold into place contradicts other people's realities. This novel is a tribute to the fight for independence and survival. She powerfully asserts that there is a necessary space for these fictional parts of people's realities despite the conflict it will inevitably create. She suggests that the reality built in fiction is also the truth of our own fictions accepted as reality. The interplay of these two creates a living reality.

4.0 out of 5 stars Strange up-bringing, 22 Feb. 2012
Ignite (East Yorkshire, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Oranges Are Not The Only Fruit (Kindle Edition)
This book tells the story of the strange up-bringing of the author Jeanette Winterson. It is interspersed with little stories and fables which cast reflections upon her own life. She tells of her deeply religious mother and the education which led Jeanette to become a preacher and leader of the group while still a schoolgirl. Her sexual orientation led to ructions both at home and in the wider church community.

I first read this book many years ago and thought it was ok but nothing in particular. I have just re-read it for our local book group and have laughed so much. I never noticed this before. The book hasn't changed of course, but it's obvious that a reader's taste can change over time. The work is not presented in jokey form but so many dead-pan remarks from the young Jeanette really amused me. She doesn't take herself seriously and is very non-judgemental about others.

This is a remarkable book and justifiably popular.

3.0 out of 5 stars The test of time, 25 Mar. 2010
When I first read this book I would have given it five stars. Or six, if that were possible. It had a profound effect on me, and I am grateful for that. But on re-reading it recently, I was disappointed - and decided not to urge my daughter to read it after all. There must be other books that will speak to her more powerfully, because they are mnore of their time. Maybe this is unfair - because perhaps this is the danger of re-reading any book we love: the book is the same, but we have changed. I think Oranges is a child of its era. It opened the doors to many women readers and doubtless many writers too. It certainly felt ground-breaking. I am gratful to Winterson for that. She went on to write The Passion which to my mind is her very best novel - a flight of fancy that manages to be moving and perfectly-structured and totally magical. The problem I had with Oranges on re-reading it some 20 years on was that the more fanciful 'mythical' sections jarred horribly. They felt simply embarrassing. Yet my younger self was quite happy with all that - and indeed, probably entranced. The lesson I have learned from this exercise in re-reading is: analyse your expectations. And prepare for disappointment.

3.0 out of 5 stars The makings of a great book, let down at the last hurdle., 20 Jun. 2014
I wanted to love this book. As an English graduate with a vested interest in queer literature and theory, I should have loved this book. And yet I didn't.

I think the main issue I had with it was the pacing. The first 3/4 of the book are set in Jeanette's childhood, and these chapters are fantastic. Beautifully written and insightful, Winterson manages beyond expectation to capture the voice of a child. These chapters are at once heartbreaking and amusing, with dry wit peppered throughout the narrative.

It's the last 1/4 of the book that lets it down. Within the space of a mere 50 or so pages, Jeanette grows up. She leaves home. She moves away. She does... something. It's hard to say what; we only ever hear that she lived a life in 'the city', away from everything she knew in the village in which she grew up. Throughout this section of the book, Winterson draws parallels with the life of her protagonist and various fairystories. We hear about Winnet, a young girl who was forced to abandon everything she knew back home, and eventually forgot who she was, retaining only a sense of loss. We hear about Sir Percival, who almost wasted away in search of the Grail. These stories, interwoven as they are with the main body of the narrative, are clearly supposed to be telling. We are supposed to imbue these interlinking tales with Jeanette's own journey. The problem is that we don't know enough about Jeanette's story in this section for these separate narratives to have any weight or meaning in relation to it. OK, so by the tale of Winnet, we know that Jeanette herself changed beyond recognition when in the city, yet never stopped missing home. It would be nice, however, if we could hear this from Jeanette herself. It really depersonalised the text for me, these methods of telling Jeanette's story through the mouths of myths, and it didn't quite work as I think Winterson intended.

Honestly, it feels as though Winterson wrote the first 3/4 of the book and then realised that she was running out of room to tell the rest of her story, and so tacked it onto the end in the form of borrowed narratives. It made for a pretty story - the fables of Winnet and Percival are enjoyable, they're just not meaningful in context. It has the effect of seriously diminishing the end of the novel - because Jeanette returns home after many years away, but after only a few pages, it really doesn't seem like she's been away for a long time at all. It means that her ultimate epiphany is severely diminished into only a small realisation, and it lessens the impact of the first excellent 3/4.

Oranges Are Not The Only Fruit