4.0 out of 5 stars good read
This was a good book,it was the story of a bull and a boy who hates bull fighting.I have read a lot of his books that my mum got me and this was a better one.Bull fighting is cruel.( I bought this book and others by same author to encourage my son who's 10 to think more about the world in general,its history and to challenge his reading skills,I believe it has done that)
Published on 1 Nov. 2010

3.0 out of 5 stars Toro Toro
Michael Morpurgo is a brilliant author. Yes this book is very good but there are plenty off better books by him. Its a short and sweet story describing the relationship between a boy and a bull in Spain. Good read, but I'm not desparate to reccomend it to anyone. Born to run and Alone on a wide wide sea are great novels. They have been around a while but if you havent...
Published on 26 Feb. 2011

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars good read, 1 Nov. 2010
A Kid's Review

4.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, but too short, 4 Dec. 2001
This review is from: Toro! Toro! (Hardcover)
This book is about a boy named Antonito who's family lived on a farm in Spain at the time of the Civil War
Antonito helped deliver a black bull and they become firm friends. He names him Paco.
He learns that his uncle is a bull fighter who tells him that Paco will one day be a fighting bull in the bullring, so the boy decides to set Paco free and run away. While setting his bull free, Antonito hears bombing in his village and returns home to find his family are all dead or missing. He then loses the bull as well.
Later he meets up with his sister, who'd missed the bombing as she had gone to look for Antonito.
He finds his uncle has become a fighter and a hero, and Antonito and his sister meet up with him.
He then learns that there is a legend of a black bull that chases away the baddies, and Antonito hopes that this is Paco.
The illustrations are perfect for the story. If I have one criticism it is that the book is too short, it took us only an hour to read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Toro Toro, 12 Sept. 2010
A Kid's Review
This review is from: Toro! Toro! (Paperback)
This is a extraordinary book set in the civil war about a young boy called Antonio. Antonio lives with his family on a farm in Spain. His fathers a bull fighter and took Antonio to a bull fighting match. His father said that your Paco will soon go in the bull arena. When Antonio got home he intended to save Paco by running away with him but dure the story it did'nt go so well.I'd defonetly recomend this to read because it a great book and you will love it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant - but too much dying, 26 Jun. 2009
This review is from: Toro! Toro! (Paperback)
This is a book about the Spanish Civil War, a little boy called Antonito and a little black bull called Paco, that he adopts. It is all told from the point of view of Antonito when he is already a grandfather of a little boy also called Antonito, which is a nice touch. There are some brilliant descriptions of rural life in Spain during the war and bullfighting and the role it plays in Spanish culture. My son Oscar (aged 7) says that 'this is a really good book, but there is too much dying in it". He does have a point. We know that the Civil War was terrible, but it did seem sometimes as if people were dying unnecessarily for the sake of the story, particularly in the part where the villagers are escaping into the hills. Apart from that - it is brilliant!

5.0 out of 5 stars Another great book by Michael Morpurgo, 30 Oct. 2007
Doniaa (London, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Toro! Toro! (Paperback)
Michael Morpurgo is the BEST children's author. He uses brilliant words which are beautifully descriptive. His books are sometimes sad but comforting, always in a different way. I think this book is for 8+ year olds.

This story was one of my best giving me information about the Spanish Civil War and bull fighting. Half way through the book I was crying, but then I cheered up as it had a good ending.

4.0 out of 5 stars Toro! Toro!, 14 Mar. 2012
This review is from: Toro! Toro! (Paperback)
I am writing a book review, the book is called Toro! Toro! It's made by Michael Morpurgo.

The book is great! It's about a boy called Antonito, he lives an idyllic life on his parent's bull farm in Spain, but the idyll is shattered when he realises that his calf, called Paco, is destined for the bullring. His uncle called Juan, he work in bullring, Antonito think his uncle dance with the bull in the bullring, but his uncle is killing the bull. Antonito is very angry, so he doesn't want Paco die in the bullring as well, so Antonito take Paco and his horse Chica go out of his home, but there is a big war in Spain

The book set in Spain, in Spain there is a big war every where. The main characters are Antonito, Paco and his uncle Juan. Antonito and Paco and Juan are breave, Juan is very rich, and Paco is very strong.

I like the book, because the book is very short, and the story is very easy to read and clear. The story is very interesting, and the war is very exciting. I think you can make the story longer and more pictures for me. I would recommend to 8- 11 years old boys, is very interesting, so I like this book Toro! Toro!

5.0 out of 5 stars Exciting book for young readers, 16 Mar. 2012
Karen Vaughan (Greece) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Toro! Toro! (Paperback)
The incredibly prolific Morpurgo has done it again. He combines so many issues for the young reader to consider : the rights and wrongs of bull fighting as our protagonist hero-worships his matador uncle, but doesn't want his pet to face the bull ring; the effects of war; growing up; Spanish culture; a different generation. I read his books together with my daughter, and think the appeal for her is the fast pace, well rounded characters she can connect with and the predominant subject matter: animals.
There is no doubt that apart from the reading exercise afforded, the books are educational as they are set in another time or another land, or both, as is this one. Morpurgo does not shy away from reality, and his books do not necessarily end happily, or even satisfactorily and I think this is appropriate for the age group aimed at 7 - 11. He does not patronise or condescend his readers, but challenges them. We have a large collection of his books as we both enjoy his writing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Toro Toro, 17 Nov. 2011
This review is from: Toro! Toro! (Paperback)
Excellent mix of love for the little bull combined with the destruction caused by war. I loved it as well as the children! I would also recommend Little Foxes, particularly as I have boys and these books are a great way for them to combine the love of animals within the complexities of human relationships.

4.0 out of 5 stars Toro, Toro, 31 Jan. 2012
This review is from: Toro! Toro! (Paperback)
Have a foster son of 8, who had only ever read one book in his life. He's read 8 books in three weeks but tells me that this book was his favourite. I read the book and thoroughly enjoyed it. We were able to discuss it together. Great book, sensitively written. He has asked for his forthcoming birthday for more of the authors books. Result!

4.0 out of 5 stars I would recommend this book, 10 July 2014
This review is from: Toro! Toro! (Kindle Edition)
This book is of strong feeling and has a way that I have not found in many other books to take you off to a land of the toro toro

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›