5.0 out of 5 stars Great gift
My boyfriend loved this gift! He enjoyed playing it and has now finished it. The graphics are brilliant and story Morris fab
Published 12 months ago by abbie

2.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as I had hoped..
I pre-ordered this game and have been playing it off and on for a few months now as I wanted to give it some time before I wrote a review (mainly because I wasn't that impressed with it and wanted to work at it and change my mind as I've always enjoyed the previous fight night games).

Sadly, my opinion hasn't improved. Other than the Champion mode which is fun...
Published on 1 May 2011 by CP

2.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as I had hoped.., 1 May 2011
This review is from: Fight Night Champion (PS3) (Video Game)

Sadly, my opinion hasn't improved. Other than the Champion mode which is fun until the final fight which is overally difficult (a sign of things to come in the Legacy mode !) and frustrating.

Legacy mode promises so much but all it delivers is frustration due to the apparent inability of your boxer to land any really significant punches whilst your AI opponent lands at will once frustration gets the better of you and you start trying to brawl. I altered my tactics (tried boxing at range, brawling inside and a combo of both) but nothing seemed to work so I've finally given up and am now writting the most negative review of any of the Fight Nights I've played.

On the positive side, the 2 player game is still great fun (mainly due to the fact that both of you will suffer from the same gameplay difficulties leading to an ability to actually land some punches !!).

Maybe I'm getting old but I want to enjoy playing games on the PS3 but with the frustrating nature of this game, the overally complicated games that FIFA and Pro-Evo have become (all with silly button combo's to do rediculous tricks) and the stamina sapping GT5 maybe I need to find another hobby as gaming seems to have become more a test of patience than being enjoyable !!

I guess if you've got loads of time on your hands and can play these games for endless hours you might start to perfect the techniques required but I don't and just want to enjoy games that I can pick up every so often, play for a few hours and have some fun !!

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing., 4 Oct 2014
This review is from: Fight Night Champion (PS3) (Video Game)
Poor game, which is a shame as it has some very good features. The gameplay itself is very laggy, and the frame rate is appalling. Myself and others who have the game noticed that it freezes a lot, dispite having brand new copies.

The GOAT difficulty is a challenge for the sim fighters out there, but I feel most will play on Champion or Pro. On GOAT the AI just land at a stupidly high success rate, and very rarely do fights last more than 3-4 rounds. They always manage to break the defence and it becomes very frustrating. Even after many hours testing using different sliders, there was no improvement.

As with most EA games, the online is pathetic. Servers are laughable. Not even worth commenting on.

Most boxing fans will probably look into this game, as it's the latest boxing title out there. EA seems to have diverted its attention to MMA/UFC, so don't expect another Fight Night from EA. This might not be a bad thing however; let's hope another publisher picks up the game and takes it forward, hopefully for next gen.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great gift, 2 Dec 2013

4.0 out of 5 stars good bish bash, 26 May 2014
This review is from: Fight Night Champion (PS3) (Video Game)
Good story mode difficulty level bit to much on pro and to easy on novice. Can be played with buttons as well as sticks. Good graphics and just shame move controller couldnt be used.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great game. But I'm a terrible boxer., 30 Jan 2014
This review is from: Fight Night Champion (PS3) (Video Game)
Where's the epic ridiculous finishing move when you need it?!
To be fair to the game, it makes you work for you victories (if you don't just sit on the amateur levels...)

Goodness. I'ma need a lie down after this one.

4.0 out of 5 stars Awesome game, 12 April 2013
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Fight Night Champion (PS3) (Video Game)
The only quirks are the fact I can't see me or my opponents full fight history in the game and can't change my style mid way through in legacy mode, rocky did why can't I plus you don't get to sort out your own calendar e.g. When to fight, how many training sessions you have, but it's a step up from the last instalment near perfect love this game UFC can suck eggs

3.0 out of 5 stars seems rushed, 7 Mar 2011
Mr. N. Wildman "nickwildman2" (Beds, UK) - See all my reviews
= Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Fight Night Champion (PS3) (Video Game)
I pre-ordered this game and I was very excited when it arrived as I absolutely loved fight night 4 (I reached the greatest of all time) so this game had a lot to live up to.

Unfortunately, it doesn't quite reach the benchmark set by its predecessor.

Pros:

1. The career mode is really good, it's a great addition to see the life of a boxer. Each fight in this mode has set requirements e.g. you've broken your right hand so you can only punch with your left or a corrupt manager has paid off the judges to ignore your scores so you need to win by knockout etc.

2. The controls are mapped to the buttons right off, not as a patch like in FN4 so if you don't like the "full spectrum control" (and I didn't), you have that option.

3. The legend mode is still available so if you don't want to go through career mode, you can still play the game in the classic way i.e. fighting for experience points, levelling up etc.

4. The blocking system is now semi-automatic, meaning that you just have to press the block button and the fighter will automatically block high or low as required, meaning it's no longer blind luck when you block.

Now the cons:

1. The control system is incredibly sluggish, even using the buttons. You can press a button and the fighter may or may not throw the punch. I especially have trouble executing the right uppercut. This lag makes it really hard to throw effective combinations.

2. The graphics aren't much better than in FN4, in fact in the cut scenes in career mode I'd say they are worse.

3. The cut scenes occasionally freeze and jump like a scratched DVD

4. Power punches have been removed, there is a power modifier but this doesn't really seem to do much. I connected three times in a row with a so-called "power punch" and it didn't even phase my opponent. This removes a very strategic weapon from the arsenal.

5. Punches don't seem to effect the opponents at all, you would think a proper hook or uppercut would at least cause the opponent to back off a bit!

6. There is no way to see the opponent's stamina or health, this means that you can't tell when is a good time to surge forward for the knockout.

All in all, this game is good fun but it is plagued by little things that just shouldn't be an issue in a game with such good predecessors. It feels like the game was rushed and it still has lots of bugs. I will stick with it as it is still enjoyable and I'll wait for a patch which will hopefully sort out the control issues.

2.0 out of 5 stars Fight Night Champion, 5 Mar 2011
This review is from: Fight Night Champion (PS3) (Video Game)
Desperately wanted to give this game a 5 star rating...but then i played it! Never meet your idols! After playing Fight Night Round 4 for hours and absolutely loving the punch controls that added so much depth to the experience, you can imagine my disappointment when i tried out the new controls on Champion. Instead of sweeping the analogue stict around to deliver hooks and uppercuts, the controls now only need to be flicked, totally taking away any feeling of precision. Throwing punches is pot luck, blocking is poor at best, with no control of high or low blocking and at the end of each round you have no control over which elements you wish to recover fastest.

EA have recognised that it was only necessary to make minor tweaks to Fight Night Round 4. Unfortunately they have made all of the tweaks in all of the wrong places.

For all that is both new AND improved in this game, EA could have released another expansion pack and achieved a much better game through Fight Night Round 4.

The only real redeeming factor of Champion is the career mode, in which you live out the boxing life of an olympic gold medalist and guide him through his career as a pro.

Sadly this does not go nearly far enough to salvage this once great title...one step forwards and two steps backwards for EA I'm afraid.

My recomendation is to buy Fight Night Round 4...the graphics are basically the same, the controls are much more intuitive and the multiplayer enjoyment is so much higher!

5.0 out of 5 stars FIGHT NIGHT CHAMPION........AWESOME, 28 Feb 2012
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Fight Night Champion (PS3) (Video Game)
This game is an absolute classic. I started playing it just after Christmas; and just cannot stop playing it. For £15.00 it is an absolute 'steal'. Do NOT hesitate. Just simply buy this game.

Being a boxing fan, I have to say the characters are plentiful and realistic. The full-spectrum punch control is accurate, challenging but mirrors almost every punch/combination possible. The champion mode is absolutely fantastic. Realistic and with great variety all the way through- fighting through various levels from prison-amateur- world champion.

However, even without the ethernet connection, I am hooked on the legacy mode. You can pick, edit and devedlop through skills and sparring training any boxer on the game (or create your own). You can train them, select fights for them, training camps, events and boxer growth. It is very realistics how you earn cash and points and work your way up from gym fighting to professional. Also the amateur tournament at the start is fantastic and highly realistic.

Absolutely finely produced sports game...!! Cannot complain. Knocks FIFA 12 out of the water...!!!

3.0 out of 5 stars Slick presentation as ever but let down by a poor control system, 5 Mar 2011
Tangerine "tangerineman" (North Yorkshire) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Fight Night Champion (PS3) (Video Game)
I was lucky enough to receive this on pre-order a couple of days prior to general release. EA present the game with the precision and skill we all know they are capable of and it feels professional and if it were made by real fans of the game. Having now played it for around 20 hours I can report that despite the slick, glossy exterior the game lacks in serious areas. Firstly, punch control is different and you feel almost disjointed as you flick the control. Eventually, the boxer responds and it seems as if the AI is throwing punches for you. I have used a number of the games boxers to test this and it felt like this on all of them. I am not sure why the changes were necessary but clearly someone felt they were. I, for one, don't feel it is an improvement on the previous game. Furthermore, blocking your opponents punches seems almost non-existent. It is a bizarre sensation and simply does not compare to the previous title Fight Night Round 4.

In addition, the camera moves around more than ever before. I have to say that this must have been a really difficult system to get right but I don't think it has really worked. It is actually frustrating and adds to the sense that you are almost watching your boxer fight rather than controlling him.

I know that lots of effort has been poured into this project but I can't pretend that these fundamental changes are positive. I don't think they are. Sure, there will be many that won't mind, but it isn't for me. I've already sold my copy and bought a copy of the previous game back. The 20 hours I spent on the game were in the hope that I'd eventually find my rhythm with it and whilst I was still knocking guys out it just felt really arcade in its feel. A distant sensation that I couldn't overcome. Ultimately, the plaudits are apporpriate for the presentation of the game and the number of boxers they have listed on the roster. Despite this, it doesn't make up for gameplay. Ultimately, gameplay is what it is all about and Champion does not have it. Round 4 did and is by far the better option.

It wasn't enjoyable playing it, I just was stubborn, hoping that it would all come together. It didn't. The game looks fantastic and is slick and glossy. But scratch barely beneath this attractive veneer and you discover that underneath it is a bit rotten. The gameplay just wasn't for me. I'd suggest thinking carefully before buying it although I expect it will sell lots and lots of copies. Despite this, I would not be surprised if many sold their copies on quickly to return to the previous game.

I am depressed at the outcome of 20 hours plus gameplay. It feels like a tremendous let down. Be warned - and don't be surprised if it doesn't work out. Back to the old fight night for me then.....

Fight Night Champion (PS3)
Fight Night Champion (PS3) by Electronic Arts (PlayStation 3)