This review is for the Simplehuman sensor pump soap dispenser in white. Most of the points are covered in the video but here is a summary of my thoughts:

Things that I liked about this soap dispenser:

* you can get a portion of liquid soap without having to touch anything. Thus it reduces the risk of cross contamination of bacteria from your hands onto a standard bottle of soap
* Any brand of liquid soap can be used
* There are + and - buttons so you can control the amount of soap that is dispensed
* sleek and elegant design, it looks great out on the work surface by the sink and has been commented on by a couple of friends - one who went home and bought their own.
* 2 year warranty provided by Simplehuman against defective parts and manufacture.

Things that I didn't like about this soap dispenser:

* It was difficult to open the casing for the batteries. The instructions showed removing the screw but didn't show how to get the casing off. The casing fitted flush and there was nothing to leverage it open. After around 10 minutes of trying it suddenly just dropped off - I still don't know exactly how to open it, but I'll worry about that when the batteries need replacing.
* It is larger than you might anticipate and it doesn't look quite right on a small cloakroom sink. In a kitchen and bathroom (which generally has a larger sink than a cloakroom) it looks great.
* The sensor is extremely sensitive and it is easy to get soap dispensed when you didn't want any, for example, if you try to pick the dispenser up from the front.
* The shiny metal looking sections scratch easily. Mine got accidentally knocked at the back and there is a blemish on it which I haven't been able to remove.

My overall impression:

I am more than happy with this dispenser. It looks great, it is well made and it means I can wash my hands without spreading bacteria around the kitchen.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 8 March 2012
I bought the sensor pump after my friend raved about them. Now I'm raving about them. Works perfectly, attractive. I'm going to buy another for the utility room - we have hens and dogs and this is a much more hygienic method of washing hands without having to touch either a bar of soap or the manual soap dispenser. Ditto after gardening and dirty jobs. I was forever having to wipe down the top of the manual soap dispenser and for some reason my husband picked up the container to press the pump - now even he can wash his hands without having to touch it. When funds permit I'll be buying them for the cloakroom and bathroom where we use soap - it'll be great to say goodbye to those cracked and dirty bars of soap. I had no problems setting it up as some people seem to have.
on 11 December 2011
Bought this as wanted to stop the children using so much soap each time they went to the bathroom. Pricey in comparison to other models, but looks lovely, does exactly what it says. Love that you can adjust the amount of soap delivered and big bonus for us is that you can fill it with any soap you like, you don't need specific soap cartridge for the model.

It is slightly bigger than anticipated for the w.c, but not ridiculous, would suit bathroom or kitchen.
on 28 April 2012
We bought 2 of these and both still work well.

One started showing a red light whilst dispersing soap (indication that battery is low) but it keeps on going. The amount of dispensed soap is easily adjusted with the buttons + it doesn't leak at all.

One minor niggle is that with the one in the guestbathroom (which doesn't get as much usage as the one in the kitchen) the soap dries out a bit, but this is easy to rectify and probably the soap we put in that one contributes to this as well.

Another issue possibly will be when we have to replace the (4) AA batteries as the battery cover is screwed into the bottom and I wonder if the pump can be turned over whilst there is still soap in it without creating a mess.

No regrets so far though and it is very handy you do not have to touch anything to get soap out.

Update 9 August:
replacing the batteries whilst there is still soap in the dispenser is very doable (a bit fiddly to be fair) because the seal at the top is good plus you don't need to completely turn the dispenser up side down, so no spillage.
Really a very well designed and clever product, we like it!
on 2 April 2011
I bought this to replace a failing bathroom dispenser that was a third of the price but on a friend's recommendation had already bought the original and larger footprint version for the kitchen. This version has a couple of benefits over the larger model in that it is just the right size to sit on a typical freestanding bathroom sink, and it looks upmarket. The downside is that there is no 'window' to enable you to determin the level of soap in the unit but regular top-ups should avoid it completely running dry.

If you are looking for a touch free dispensor, don't even consider buying anything other than a simplehuman - cheaper models fail after a short time and unlike the Simplehuman don't consistantly deliver an instant dollop of soap on demand.
on 18 August 2010
Looks really good in my bathroom. I like being able to use my own choice of handwash products. So easy to fill and works very well. I will order another for my kitchen.
on 9 October 2011
Product is exactly as seen. Easy to use. Refil is easy. Would recommend this as there is no messy soap around the sink!
on 17 June 2012
Overall I am very pleased with this dispenser. The thing I appreciate the most is that it is very fast to react, the soap is in your hand a fraction of a second after placing it under the nozzle. I used to have another one (from a different brand) which took about a second and a half and it was getting annoying after a while.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
Been toying with getting one of these for ages because all the good reviews and finally decided to get one.

The battery compartment is a little hard to remove, as other reviewers pointed out. I got a pair of pliers and pulled the central part of the battery compartment and it came out no problem. The top easily lifts off to allow the soap to be added - any liquid soap as log as it does not contain bits for exfoliating. The amount of soap that is dispensed can be set and it is ready to go.

Just put your hand under and it dispenses the soap onto your hand with no drips later. Easy to do and I now have a daughter who is willing to wash her hands because of this, so worth it for that alone. May get another for the kitchen.

A higher price but you do get a quality dispenser.
on 26 July 2010
Wow, I was half expecting a "cheap plastic" item. I am delighted with this and my (teenage) children are having great fun with it.

I bought this to sit on the cloakroom sink as the sink is wall mounted and had previously been worked loose from the wall with us all using pump action soap dispensers. So it was a great option for our needs.

You can adjust the setting to allow for thicker liquids and more soap to be dispensed.

As I said, it looks really good,with a white gloss effect and the shiny chrome finish looks the part as well. Fits in with our new decor much better than the chrome / black option.

Will probably buy another one for the upstairs bathroom as well. Very impressed.

See one answered question