on 4 January 2013
I got a kindle this christmas and this is the first free book I've read so my expectations may be a bit higher than they should be.

Let's start with what I like. The description of the wizard's tower and of the city that surround it are good. The action is interesting enough to keep me reading. The exposition doesn't distract from the story.

However the character doesn't really develop through the book. She has a tendency to attack first and then realise the consequences afterward and at times this is very annoying. I am not keen on a protagonist who is THAT stupid. Also the speed of the book is rush rush rush all the time without any real change of pace. The characters rarely talk to each other and more communication happens by the protagonist reading faces than by just asking and we all know how rarely that works in the real world.

I've given 3 stars because at least I've read this book and the two previous free books I started I lost interest in very quickly. There is much promise in this work and would be better if the author had an editor and a bunch of beta readers to help them develop characters, pacing and also plot. The current plot meanders all over the place.
on 1 May 2012
I found this book very enjoyable for a first book.

I really like Hemlock. She's a very well rounded heroine, powerful, but often uncertain due to her youth, human, flawed as we all are, which makes her easier to identify with. She's fiercely loyal and can also be very kind, which makes her very likeable.

I like that the writer kept you guessing about characters (is he good, is he bad) and about what was going to happen (will they, won't they?) Will things really work out in the end?

The book definitely left me wanting more! A great start to what will likely be a really enjoyable fantasy series :)
on 19 April 2012
I've reread the other review and think I've been trying to read a different book. Description in this book is fantastic. Characterization is none existent to the point at which I found I couldn't read it. It was like reading a (very good) manual for a plot without access to the people in it. There were long sections describing what she did followed by long sections describing what the wizard did. This could be turned into a very good novel but it isn't one as it stands.
on 14 June 2011
Hemlock and the Wizard Tower follows the exploits of a talented thief, Hemlock, living on a magic-laden world controlled by the all powerful Wizard Guild. Sneaking into the heart of their operation, the Wizard Tower, Hemlock attempts to learn why the magic that normally would help her ailing sister has recently been failing. Blaming the wizards (wizards be damned!), she uses all her extraordinary skills to infiltrate their Tower, something no one has ever been successful in accomplishing. With the aid of her mentor, a renegade wizard, and even a mechanical golem, Hemlock is swept up in the battle to break the Wizard Guild's regulation of everyday magic.

I truly enjoyed this story. Character development was good. I liked how Hemlock went from rooftop vigilante to a very believable heroine whom people looked up to. I liked the author's use of italics to portray flashbacks. What I really enjoyed, though, was how everything flowed so smoothly. The inner circles of the Wizard Guild, the different sections of the city, the outlying lands, etc. One critique I had was about the main antagonist, Falignus. There were times when I wasn't sure if he was truly evil, or if he had underlying motives causing him to behave as he did. Fortunately, it didn't distract from the story in the slightest. I was hoping for more history about Merit, but maybe in a sequel?

Speaking of sequels, I thought I saw somewhere that the author was working on a second book. I sure hope so! To anyone out there that loves fantasy, this is a fantastic book! Be sure to check it out!
on 22 January 2016
Read this and the 2 following books in the series. Although I enjoyed the story and characters there were times in the story I flicked pages to get to the next part of the story. Don't let that comment put you off the book(s). Definitely a good read
on 30 July 2013
Story concept was good but got bored too much flipping about the story it seemed like the author kept thinking of new things as they were writing and slotted it in. I didn't finish the book I got fed up with it.
on 30 November 2015
I read 50% of the book before i realised how much of a slog reading it was. The plot seems a good one: it just needs some drastic editing so the pace is faster.
on 22 July 2013
A nice easy, fun read.

Ideal for reading while soaking up the sun.

Well worth reading this exciting series of books
on 4 April 2013
lots of myth and magic with well written characters.
It has got everything from a wicked witch to a down trodden heroine.
on 9 April 2013
Can't complain about the price! But seriously, a good book and I shall no doubt be reading the rest in the series.