Format: Kindle EditionChange

3.5 stars

I was really intrigued by the idea of a short story where each chapter was written by a different author. I've heard good things about all the authors involved in the collaboration (although the only one who's work I've read before is Lara Adrian and I am a massive fan of hers) so I thought this would be a nice way of getting to try some new to me authors.

I don't want to go into too much detail about the story because it would be too easy to give spoilers but it was action packed and contains all sorts of different paranormal creatures from ifrits to wizards, necromancers to grotesque monsters that have been cobbled together using a mixture of human and animal body parts.

Obviously as it's a short story there isn't much time to do a lot of character development but if I found out there was going to be a longer book set in this world I would definitely be picking up a copy. I'm also planning on checking out books by the authors who took part in the collaboration.

If you're looking for a fun quick read you can't go far wrong with this one.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
Munira has an interesting relationship with her father, but she doesn't hesitate to do what is necessary in order to save his life. She may wield only the fraction of the power her full ifrit djinn father does; however Munira has enough useful abilities to work as a successful thief. When she is blackmailed by wizard Temesis to venture Below to steal the Light of Ta'lab from witch soledad's sewer realm, Munira doesn't have much choice considering Temesis holds her father captive. Under normal circumstances Munira would plan this latest mission for months, instead she is given only 24 hours to sneak into Soledad's realm, steal the Light and remain alive long enough to pass it on to Temesis.

I have read series in which different authors have contributed, but never a novella in which 5 authors each contribute 1 chapter. I was a little concerned, thinking this could lend a disjointed feel to the story if the writing styles are very different; however each chapter flows easily into the next. In fact I wouldn't be able to pinpoint which author is responsible for which chapter if the authors weren't named at the start. This may be considered a clever, interesting approach to writing, but I think it works so well because you cannot distinguish between each author. Lastly this novella is only 5 chapters, so I'm astounded by how much character development and plot these authors crammed in.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 31 August 2012
Essentially this short story is a way for readers to taste the offerings of five scribes. A neat little marketing ploy disguised as a fantastic creative storytelling idea.
No matter what the reason, it gives readers a chance to experience and become enamoured with any or all of the talented five within the book.
The first 35% of the ebook is the short story they have written together, after that each author feaures a chapter from one of their own books.
It is an interesting concept and one that is quite difficult to undertake. Instead of each writing a single story and combining them in a compilation, they have each written one chapter of the same tale.
I have to admit I like the idea, because each chapter gives a sense of their individual style and that in turn will most likely entice a reader to seek out more of their work.
As for the story overall, I thought two styles out of the five didn't mesh well with the flow of the story, which made it less spectacular than it could have been.
As for the ploy, that was much more successful.
on 5 February 2014
Word are not enough to describe how awesome Lara Adrian is !!! I have never read any of the others but this collaboration was fantastic xx
on 9 September 2014
A fantastic book of short stories a great idea getting to know more authors in one book
on 29 April 2015