5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent
Published 12 months ago by Amazon Customer

1.0 out of 5 stars Waste of time and money
After years of being fed the lie that women in general really want men who are kind, caring, sensitive, helpful etc. - I finally woke up to the fact that so many of these women only want men like this for the "friend", the shoulder to cry on , the help at any time of day or night as required, the money and time, the person to bitch and whine to whine to while they...
Published on 9 July 2010 by Mr. R. J. Jones

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 7 April 2014
This review is from: No More Mr. Nice Guy (Kindle Edition)
I downloaded this book as I believe my husband is 'a Mr Nice Guy' and wow, its so accurate.I think the negatives reviews are either from people who this doesn't relate to or perhaps from people who fear the messages in the book.Upshot is that 'nice guys' use non positive (often destructive) ways to get their needs met, often passive aggressive behaviour.The author confronts that thinking, explains how the thought processes develop from childhood and suggest ways that the thinking can be changed.I have searched for books which help with spouses understand passive aggressive behaviour and this is the best so far.

There are short exercises to do after each section which clarifies thinking.The strong message is is "no one on this planet is responsible for meeting your needs, you solely own that responsibility".

The target audience is male however this is a self help book that can also benefit anyone who struggles to get their needs met in relationships.

4.0 out of 5 stars This has really helped me, 8 Mar. 2014
This review is from: No More Mr. Nice Guy (Kindle Edition)
As a frustrated and therefore passive agressive 'nice guy' I found this book extremely helpful. The idea that I have made a contract with life that if I am nice to people then 'life' will have to meet all my emotional needs was not too much of a shock but nevertheless, starkly what I needed to read. Yes, it's a bit long but great material doesn't always come in great packaging. I will be recommending it to a friend who is a self-confessed people pleaser. The only thing I disagree with so far is the Mr Glover's idea that 'integrity is deciding what feels right and doing it'. Oh dear. The world is in trouble precisely because of those sort of sentiments. The right way is often the hard way and not the way that feels right at-all. Aside from this, thank you Mr Glover, really.

5.0 out of 5 stars Captivating, Self-Medicating Read, 24 Oct. 2014
This review is from: No More Mr. Nice Guy (Kindle Edition)
This book absolutely blew me away.

All my life i have been looking for something to explain why I felt a certain way towards the world and everyone in it; inside I was always pretending to be someone that I was not and not feeling fulfilled in my own skin.

This book goes to the very core of why trying to be nice / good to others (especially the opposite sex) in an attempt to win their respect is completely the wrong approach to take, taking into account and analysing the most formative years of our development as human beings; our childhood and our relationship (or lack of) with our parent(s).

It's often said that you need to hear common sense for it to become common sense. This book does all of this and more.

Save your money on psychologists / therapists / relationship counsellors and read this book.

Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply Awesome, 4 Feb. 2014
This book has been able to provide a very clear insight into the nice guy attitude and it is very helpful in the fact that there is guidelines given inside the book that is very helpful into turning/retraining aspects of ones life.

A definite read for a nice guy

5.0 out of 5 stars Frighteningly accurate and genuinely helpful. A total page turner of a book, 13 Mar. 2015
This review is from: No More Mr. Nice Guy (Kindle Edition)
This is a book that has had a huge impact on me after the first reading - I am about to start reading again (as advised by the author)

The astonishing thing about this book is that it in every page the author seems to know me personally. I kept thinking 'that's me - I do that!' At first it was a bit scary and then hugely reassuring to know that my outook on life was so well understood and so commonly represented by millions of men around the world.

Dr Glover takes apart the myth that the world today (especially women) want and respect 'nice guys'. Let's be clear, this book does not advocate being a jerk. It is not about being horrible, nasty, dumping on others or any other negative view that might spring to mind with this title. The author agonised a bit over the title and it has probably put a few off buying it but the thing is that Dr Glover explains in depth the issues of the 'nice guy' and so he is being real to himself and his readers by sticking to the title.

The author is extremely qualified and experienced in his field and the reader can have huge faith in the breadth and depth of the research within it. He has conducted somewhere in the region of 1500+ focus groups and workshops and written this book over a period of six years. he is also able to cite many successes.

If you are the sort of person who belives that others come first, that it is selfish to seek anything for yourself, that it is better to 'settle' than get what is your right - the right to achieve the most happiness that you can in this short life, then this is for you.

I would describe this book as a 'jaw dropper'. It will feel like the author has been spying on you and reading your thoughts. At times I felt ashamed that I had become such an apology of a person - I always just thought that I was a nice decent guy. Oh, and if you wonder why girls like 'jerks' you are about to find out.

So this is a book in two parts (albeit that they thread together). It points out common traits and behaviors, then it tells you why (including a history lesson that is very revealing) and then it gives you some great pointers about turning things around. You will also find out that Dr Glover has spoken to many women on this subject and they simply endorse the views that he talks about - that might be a shock to you!

To your happiness ...

5.0 out of 5 stars Hits the nail on the head, 15 Feb. 2015
This review is from: No More Mr. Nice Guy (Kindle Edition)
This is one of those rare books that just hits the nail on the head. Period. As I read it, so many of the experiences of others seemed like a narrative of aspects of my own life. Over the past few months, various events have meant that I have started to become aware of many of the traits described within this book - and them 'not working'. However, this has mostly lead to a sense of confusion because of a lack of trust of my own judgement.

Some of the concepts of the book I have been realising for myself, but without any 'reference' or connected thinking and with a large helping of naivety, it is very difficult to get a handle on them on your own. This book has really helped to identify traits that I have - blindly and persistently - believed are 'good', despite them rarely working.

If you go through life trying to please people, worrying about what others think of you and never *truly* putting yourself first then this book might be a real eye opener - it has been for me.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Bible for 'Nice' Men, 24 Nov. 2013
Mr. G. A. Fish (Yorkshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This book helps 'Nice' men. Nice men tend to disregard themselves and put others first in the hope that they will get their needs met however they don't and then end up feeling like a doormat or resentful. This book guides them to help them get what 'they' want in their lives.

5.0 out of 5 stars Book review, 7 Feb. 2013
This book is an absolute essential read for all men. Very honest and revealing about life and i am delighted a bought it. Delivery was faster than i expected..
5 star service for a 5 star book...

4.0 out of 5 stars Yes, but don't get carried away, 15 May 2014
Lots of useful stuff in here.
But it is a bit like reading a medical dictionary or looking up a "cough" on internet - you get all sorts of nasty pictures and thoughts. But if you temper some of it down and mould it to your specific circumstances then you will get something out of it.
Look after yourself without being selfish. Accept that there will sometimes be a (possibly huge) fallout from having opinions/emotions/wants/needs. Actually, you'll be surprised that most people do not care what you think or do - just get on with it. Have fun. You are a long time dead. None of it actually matters! Look after the kids.

5.0 out of 5 stars Breath taking book, 2 May 2010
Mr.Lies "Tom Yuen" (Belfast, Northern Ireland) - See all my reviews
Breath taking usually only use in movies, but this is the exact description i would put in this review section.

Trying to get approvals from others is what i have been doing all my life, and thanks for the author...this is my bible...

No More Mr. Nice Guy