4.0 out of 5 stars have yet to use snooze
This is a 2 month retrospective look after having purchased this from John Lewis, and I'll do what I can to skip over what the product review from the manufacturer already tells you.

PROS:
- Gradual sunrise setting are brilliant. Not having a bright flash of light bursting through makes a pleasant and noticeable difference in the morning.
- You have...
Published on 14 Feb 2011 by nikitynik

3.0 out of 5 stars Good as a wake up lamp, terrible as a clock!
My initial thoughts on getting this home was "how do I work this?" Its rather hard to programme the way you want it, but I did get there in the end.
Published on 23 Nov 2011 by Rebecca

4.0 out of 5 stars have yet to use snooze, 14 Feb 2011
This review is from: Lumie Bodyclock ACTIVE 250 Wake-Up Light Alarm Clock with Extra Audio Options (Personal Care)

PROS:
- You have control over how long a period you want the light to slowly dim on, and how bright you want it to get to.
- The lamp is BRIGHT if you want it to be, it is easily comparable to a 100W bulb.
- Various different alarm clock noises, including a radio, so on the whole you'll find something that suits you. I found that the radio (when put to something easy like Heart FM) is generally the best, and I have yet to put it on snooze since. This is coming from a long-time-multi-snooze person (7am? nahhh.... 20 more minutes...).
- For all you oldies, there's still that alarm noise (BEEP BEEP BEEP...) that will make you nostalgic for the 80s. But the aforementioned radio is still more pleasant. ;)
- A relatively cheap replaceable bulb (5). Now that might sound like a no-brainer, I mean aren't all bulbs replaceable? Well, if you were to buy the Philips version of this lamps, the answer is "no". So though it seems like such a non-issue, make sure whichever slow dimming/glowing lamp you buy, you can buy just the bulb and not have to buy the whole unit again.
- 2 Years manufacturer's warranty included, so if your machine decides to not work, you can rest assured that someone will fix it for you. Granted you'll be minus 1 alarm clock for that duration.

CONS:
- Radio is not DAB, so it doesn't have the crystal clear quality that some of you might be used to, but that said, it's not a bad regular FM radio at all. The radio receiver is a cheap looking white wire that trails from the back of the unit. It does have a digital tuner as a small compensation....
- The bird that chirps on one of the alarm settings needs to be shot. In short, I haven't put it on that one.
- No battery option, so if there is a power outage, you can rest assured that you'll be late for work. :)
- 100 price mark. As far as lamps or alarm clocks go, this is by no measurable means "cheap". However, as that adage goes: you get what you pay for, and I have noticed that getting up in the morning is a lot less stressful lately. Can you put a price on that? Well, yes...

SUMMARY:
There are a few lumie models out there on the market at the moment, with noticeable price difference, but this was the one I settled for in the end because of 1) replaceable bulb 2) 2 year warranty 3) radio function 4) controllable dim/glow function over your own set time. Is it worth 100? No, maybe more the 70 mark, but when it's all said and done, it's the only one I could find that satisfactorily ticked all the boxes. Am I happy with this purchase? Yeah, I guess you can say that I am. :)

3.0 out of 5 stars Good as a wake up lamp, terrible as a clock!, 23 Nov 2011
Its very good in the mornings, I have it lighting up 45 mins before I want to get up and it has made an amazing difference to me. My main criticism is that it keeps TERRIBLE time!!! Loses and gains up to ten mins every day! I have to correct it every evening. One morning it was ten minutes slow making me late for work which wasnt very good... How can a 100 clock not keep time? Hmm.
Also, I have the radio come on in the morning and it switches itself off after 30 mins. It would be good to be able to change this as I'm never out of the door in 30 minutes so have to climb over the bed twice to turn it on then off again.
The light aspect is fantastic though. Even the sunset mode, never fails to make my eyelids fall no matter how awake I was feeling at the time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product - see note re losing time HOW TO FIX, 31 May 2013
I originally bought a Lumie Bodyclock 250 in November 2012.
I absolutely loved the product, particularly with the way it both helps you get to sleep (sunset function) and wake up gradually (sunrise function).
I also liked the little details - e.g. the fact that you can set the volume levels separately for the radio alarm and for just playing the radio socially during the day.

What I didn't like was the fact that it apparently didn't keep very good time - it was always losing time, and never gaining.

I left a 3* review on the Lumie website as a result of the poor timekeeping, and was contacted the same day by Doug from the technical team at Lumie.
Over a series of weeks and several conversations and trial runs, we figured out what the issue was, and it's this :
If you e.g. change the alarm time, and then use the main middle menu button to skip through all the menu options before it cycles back to its "neutral" state you will have inadvertently reset the seconds to 00 seconds.
I.e. as you skip past the "set time" (not set alarm) menu option, the software is set up such that it assumes you have reset the time and hence resets the seconds back to 00. So every time you do this you can lose up to a maximum of 59 seconds (and on average 30 seconds per time) - hence why it always loses time and never gains.
As I get up at different times on different days, I was resetting the alarm and skipping through menu options 2 or 3 times a week, which is why I easily found it losing 10 minutes in 4 weeks...

So - the very simple solution to solve the timekeeping problem is in 4 parts :
1/ on the day you get the unit, set all your preferences up once and for all using all the different menu items
2/ set the time (after doing step 1 and not the other way round)
3/ if and when you need to set the alarm time, reset the alarm and then just wait 12 seconds for the unit to revert back to its neutral state - do not cycle through all the menu options to get back to normal operating mode
4/ if you do ever need to change any of the later menu functions (e.g. security or language settings etc) make sure you reset the time accurately afterwards as otherwise you may find you have lost up to 59 seconds

Since my communication with Doug @ Lumie, new software has been developed and rolled out to all new units which fixes the problem - so the time now only resets to zero if you actually change the time (using the + or - buttons on the set time menu). If you just skip past without setting the time, it will no longer reset to 00 seconds.

That is what I call great customer service and taking on board and responding to customer feedback!

Great job Lumie and great job Doug!

5.0 out of 5 stars A superb device for waking up to, 6 Nov 2012
Stu (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I find it incredibly strange at some of the comments on this review to be honest but I'll clarify later.

Firstly, this is an excellent device to wake up to. There are multiple modes you can select from and the light is extremely bright and completely silent (some Phillips devices have a low hum from what I hear).

Now then, we all know it is expensive. The build quality, in my opinion, is what I would expect for this price due to the features it has. It is indeed plastic but I don't feel that it is "cheap" as such. The unit is secure and I feel the buttons are fit for purpose. To be honest, most of the reviews give a good indication of exactly what it can do so I'm not going to bother too much talking about the sunrise/sunset features. In short, you can amend the times and they work an absolute treat.

What I am going to talk about is some of the other concerns I've read in the other reviews.

The LCD clock does indeed dim. I've no idea why people are covering up the front screen saying it's too bright. If you haven't set the alarm, the LCD screen will stay on all night. HOWEVER, it quite clearly states in the manual that if you hold in the "-" and "+" keys at the same time, it will go into sunset mode and then reduce the front panel to it's dimmest setting. Once it's in sunset mode, just use the "-" key if you don't want to wait the set time and switch the bulb off so the panel reduces. Problem solved!

The clock also has a feature that if you're using it as a lamp, it will automatically switch off after 90 minutes. This is quite self explanatory and you can instantly activate it again by holding the "+" key.

The device is NOT complicated. All the actions are carried out by the use of 3 main keys. When I got the clock, I went through the manual and tested all the functions on the clock as directed. I did this twice and I now know how to correctly use it. I am not super intelligent, just make an effort.

As for the sounds, I think they are fine. The white noise is actually quite pleasant and the volume can be very high if need be. The birds are fairly standard and the waves quite nice (they are quite short loops but you're meant to be getting out of bed anyway..) As for the complaints about the radio not being DAB..... It doesn't state that it is! Also, I don't believe a similar priced model has this feature (this is also the same for the person saying you can't add your own sounds - it doesn't state you have that option).

I do have one concern though. My clock was losing time on the first night as some others have said. This is now fine a few days later so I'm linking it to initial setup issues.

For those in two minds: Buy this clock! The other reviews state that it's far better than the Phillips models and these are coming from people who own both! Another major plus point is that you can change the bulb and also get a 2 year warranty. This is an incredible device and yes, it has some flaws but a lot of these so called "flaws" are from people not doing their homework!

Other settings that I'll add is the ability to put on a security mode. I believe this automatically activates the light at random periods between 4pm and 11pm incase nobody is in the home. Also, another thing I haven't used is the ability to fade out sounds with the sunset. For example, you could have a sunset for 30 minutes when you're going to bed. What you can do is set it so you're listening to the radio (or another included sound if you wish) and also letting the sunset complete over that period. The clever bit is that it will automatically reduce the volume as the light density decreases and will eventually switch off the radio when the light goes out. I've personally not used this but I can see how it would benefit others.

If you want a wake up clock in this price range, this is quite simply the one to buy. This is my first one but as you can imagine, I have done a lot of research before purchasing it. Don't let the negative reviews put you off as a lot of these are user error or looking for features that aren't there to begin with.

I'll be keeping an eye on the issue of losing time and update if it happens again.

Just add a comment if you have any questions and I'll try to answer them.

Thanks!

4.0 out of 5 stars Searching for the perfect alarm clock......, 25 Oct 2012
Stromata (Scotland) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Having read the manufacturers blurb above and comments made by other reviewers I do not want to just repeat what has already been said so I will just give my opinion in brief bullet points:

The good:

Nice wipe-clean product with not too many dust-trap nooks and crannies.

The 'sunrise' element really worked for me, much better than being woken by bleeping or, my preference, by music. Of course, you may prefer the 'dawn chorus' or 'rooster' options - not for me, but they did give me a good laugh when I tried them!

The initial set-up was surprisingly easy for a product with so many options.

Liked the security-light option which switches on and off at random times between 4pm and 11pm, so it looks as though someone is at home.

The not-so-good:

The radio - as other reviewers have mentioned, is not digital and although the FM is o.k. it is not great. I listen to Radio 3 and found the quality of output a little disappointing, but I have yet to find an alarm clock/radio that is good and I think the price of the Lumie reflects this.

On reflection I do think this product is really useful for someone who finds it difficult to drift off to sleep and/or has a hard time waking up in the morning. I really wish this had been available when my daughter was a small child because she certainly would have benefited from this gentle, more natural way of resting and waking up. I would happily have paid three times the price!

4.0 out of 5 stars The Lumie Bodyclock Vs. The Phillips Wake Up Light, 24 Oct 2012
The Truth "How it is" (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Struggle to get up in the morning? Think a Wake Up Light style alarm clock might be the answer but can't choose between a Phillips model and a Lumie? Read on my friend...

This is the second Wake Up Light alarm I own, so I'm going to do a comparison review for you. I also own a Philips HF3485 Wake-up Light which I've had for about a year, and in my opinion it's an easy choice between the two: The Lumie wins hands down. It creams the Phillips in almost every way.

Out of the two, this Lumie Bodyclock is the best. By far. Firstly, in my opinion it looks a lot nicer than the Phillips model and takes up significantly less space on your bed side table. It's still big (if you haven't seen the size of these type of Wake Up Light alarm clocks before you might be surprised) but the Phillips model I own is so big it's verging on ridiculous - it's more of a lamp that alarm.

Also, although it's still not going to win any design awards, I think the design of this Lumie model looks a lot nicer than the Phillips model too - but that's down to taste I suppose. The lamp section of the Lumie has openings in the back (in almost a type of grill), which although you can't see, allow slightly more light to escape out the back. This throws 'rays' along my wall in a sort of sunshine effect, and although perhaps a little twee, it is quite nice and a cleverly integrated design feature.

But the design not only looks better. It is better. In many ways. For instance when using the buttons. The Lumie's buttons are arranged as one might expect, sensibly laid out along the front of the clock and all grouped together; on the Phillips though you have buttons along the front and also along the side of the light, and this is just stupid as when you want to use these side buttons you have to hold the lamp in place with your other hand or you just push the light of your bedside table.

The actual alarm sounds too are much better quality as well. You still get a good array of sounds to choose from (standard beeping, cockerel, morning chorus amongst them) but they are noticeably better quality recordings than the Phillips model, in which a loud background hiss is very noticeable. While we're on the subject of hiss and sound - one thing the Lumie has which I don't think the Phillips does, is a White Noise option to help mask noise and help you get to sleep.

Next up, is the the snooze function. Again, I prefer the way its implemented on the Lumie Bodyclock. You had to give the whole of the Phillips unit a good hard whack to get it into snooze mode (there was no button) something I never liked doing, whereas the snooze button on the Lumie is a normal button set right in the middle of the unit. Also, when you set the Lumie to snooze the light turns off which it didn't on the Phillips.

The bulb inside the unit of the Lumie will be much easier to replace too. And also, I suspect, cheaper. There are a few are in which the Phillips unit does have the edge though. One thing I did like about the Phillips alarm which the Lumie lacks is that you could set two separate alarm times. And also, the Lumie is a bit more complicated to set up. However - once you have taken the time to set it up, this isn't really a problem ever again.

I suppose the biggest question of all though is, do these Wake Up Light style alarm clocks work? Well, for me the jury is still out on that one. When I first got my Phillips alarm clock I found it left me feeling like a Zombie all day long but now I have got used to them, I suppose I do tend to now wake up before my alarm goes off (or rather before it sounds). Whether or not I feel any better or worse for it though I couldn't really say. I still get tired. I still hate mornings. And I still hate getting out of bed. And I don't think anything will ever change that.

Both units offer many more features than I've covered here and neither alarms are cheap, so be sure to look into things further before parting with your cash. I've just tried to cover what I think are the mains differences between the two unit, and benefits I think this Lumie has over the Phillips wake up light, which left me very unimpressed considering its price.

5.0 out of 5 stars What do you buy the man who has everything?, 29 Jan 2011
My husband really hates dark mornings. I'm not a fan myself but trying to get him out of bed in the winter before it gets light is a nightmare. The day is over before we even get started. I saw the Lumie Bodyclock demonstrated on a television programme and although I was sceptical at first, another gadget for the cupboard, I began to warm to the idea. Basically the Bodyclock Active wakes you with a sunrise that naturally helps to regulate your sleep and wake patterns. The booklet calls it a 'dawn simulator'. You can wake up with any sounds you choose or the radio. There is also a fading sunset to help you unwind at the end of the day & drift off to sleep. Guess what, he loves it and I honestly think it's doing both of us good.

4.0 out of 5 stars Lumie Bodyclock review, 29 Nov 2011
I have been given a Lumie Bodyclock Active 250 in a trial for athletes who train early in the morning.

I am an elite triathlete and have to get up early 5 times a week for swimming and running training at 5.45. This can definitely be hard work in mid-winter when it is still dark, wet and cold outside. It isn't appealing when my annoying phone alarm goes off and there is always a temptation to switch it off and fall back to sleep.

However with the Lumie bodyclock you don't get this sudden jolt which wakes you up like most alarms. The light gradually wakes you (the time the light starts to brighten is variable) and by the time it is at full light you are ready to get up. There is also an option to listen to the radio or natural sounds when the alarm comes on too. I usually have classic fm. This allows me to start training in as a relaxed mood as possible and more importantly, i am not in a bad mood with my training partners in the morning!

There is also a great sunset feature which varies in time and it causes the light to slowly darken which sends me to sleep naturally, the darker it gets, the more difficult it is to read which naturally makes me sleepy. Perfect if you want to get an earlier night than normal.

My choices at the moment are 20 mins for sunset and 1hr for sunrise.

There are some minor pointers you have to consider...
Remember to turn the alarm on each night before you go to bed, i forgot this on my second time of using it and was late for training.
Experiment with sunsets and sunrises and find what time is good for you, don't always stick with the factory settings.
Also experiment with different sounds you wake up to, i have the radio most of the time, but the sound of waves was really nice too.

I hope this help with your choice.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best purchase I've ever made - it has cured my SAD!!, 20 Oct 2012
I have read reviews on dawn simulators for years but was always a bit sceptical. However, once the nights started drawing in a few weeks ago and my alarm was jolting me from a deep sleep -every single morning- ($%&!*$#), I decided to take the plunge. I had simply had enough of feeling really irritable, miserable and absolutely knackered at work.

I read the reviews about various brands and decided on Lumie. I bought the 250 model as I wanted to be able to choose a more soothing alarm tone and have the option of a longer sunrise. However, I only use the 30 minute option and haven't yet needed to rely on the alarm as the light is enough to wake me up.

I have had this for about a month now and it is honestly the best purchase I have ever made. Every morning I stir naturally and it takes me a minute to realise that it is the Lumie's sunrise that has woken me up peacefully and not that it is 10:30am on a Sunday, which is how I feel! It really has made getting up for work at 06:30 easy to do!

The brightness of the light can be adjusted but I have it on its brightest setting and it lights up my bedroom like a glorious summer day. I also have the alarm sound set to ocean waves, but I have always woken up naturaly about 3-4 minutes before the actual alarm.

My boyfriend was also really sceptical and was actually quite annoyed that I had spent 100 on it, but after 2-3 nights, he conceded that it was in fact amazing. I had not really intended to use the sunset mode, as I always like to go straight to sleep. However, I have started using that each night now too, and it really does encourage your brain to relax and get ready for sleep. I have a really stressful job and would previously be kept up for hours by racing thoughts and worries but now, I simply fall asleep in time to the 15-minute sunset and now feel so refreshed in the mornings that it has also improved my ability to concentrate and deal with the stressful situations my job entails.

I could not live without the Lumie 250 now and have recommended it to everyone I know. 100 does seem steep, but considering it has eradicated my tiredness, irritability, poor concentration and lack of motivation, which I only experience in Autumn/Winter, I feel this is worth every penny.

4.0 out of 5 stars love lumie 250 but it's expensive, 26 April 2011
I love this and it does work -
it feels like natural daylight and i've not had to wait until the alarm/birdsong wakes me yet..
setting the nightime sounds slightly more tricky.
i will say that for just a few natural sounds (birds/waves/cockeral) and a radio it is very expensive -
not sure how other products on the market compare as never seen any.
The only other point is that when i received my lumie - i was shocked how big it was - twice as large as i imagined takes up quite a space on the bedside table - so check your measurements.
But all in all - im keeping mine as i prefer it to my old alarm clock any day.