5.0 out of 5 stars good green hdd
Was looking for a green hdd to use in a usb box on a lan router with the aim of leaving it "always on". Standing power use is 5w, much better than the drive it replaced. Performance is average, as expected of a 5900rpm device. Silent, cool, works fine.
Published on 28 Jun 2011 by PeterB

3.0 out of 5 stars Don't buy with Synology DS411j
I purchased this along with the Synology DS411J NAS. In fact, I had to buy 4 of them, and Amazon would only sell me 1 at a time, so I got my wife to buy one on her account, and got two more from elsewhere.

Published on 13 Dec 2011 by Banzaiboy

5.0 out of 5 stars good green hdd, 28 Jun 2011
This review is from: Seagate ST2000DL003 Barracuda Green 3.5-inch 2TB SATA 6 Gb/s Drive (64MB Buffer,5900RPM) (Personal Computers)

5.0 out of 5 stars Good low speed disks in WHS 2011 RAID (and packaging notes), 14 Aug 2011
Just installed in a home built WHS 2011 server with no problems connected to SATA III ports on mobo. It's early days, but subjectively fast, quiet and no problems so far. As good as you'd expect a Seagate drive to be in my opinion.

Concur with other reviewer; I ordered two of the same disks for RAID1 mirrored pair, from Nord PC / Amazon. One disk had no packaging on it all all and was placed in the bottom of the cardboard box. The other had a stapled (yes really) single layer bubble wrap around it, also on the base of the cardboard box with no other packaging around it.

The one with the single layer bubble wrap is currently installed. The other with just the anti-static bag is making its way back to the vendor having failed badly during RAID installation.

I'm not going to give the product 1-star, since the failure was almost certainly the result of getting kicked around in the back of a Transit; but suggest Nord-PC package their disks better, and Amazon look to their brand, and insist that their suppliers package goods better.

PS I've been using Amazon since late-90s and have never had a problem with their (or their suppliers) packaging.

Update: Sep 2014
I now have 4 of these disks running CC32 firmware and they have run faultlessly in RAID10 since original purchase; turned on about 25% of the time (not continuous). Search the seagate website if your disk isn't at latest firmware level - it's relatively easy to update >before< creating your RAID http://knowledge.seagate.com/articles/en_US/FAQ/218171en. If you are using RAID I'd suggest you keep your firmware at same level across disks as you build/install them. Currently running these on a P8H77-M Pro m-ATX installed on a Silverstone TJ08-E case. Extraordinarily quiet - even with four of these disks running, and a separate 2.5 boot drive.

5.0 out of 5 stars Does what it says on the tin, 20 Feb 2011
I bought one last week to go in my ReadyNas NV+ NAS. Upgrading from 4 x 1TB to 4 x 2TB replacing four Samsung drives. This drive is on the ReadyNas compatibility list.

Swapped it over and once the Raid system had initialised the disk it has been working fine
It runs a degree or so cooler than the Samsung it replaced. Over the next three months or so I'll be installing three more so they will have different hours on the drives.

Usual Amazon speedy service. If you don't have mounting screws you had better get some as the drive is a bare drive and doesn't come with any extra bits.

5.0 out of 5 stars Seagate 2tb green hard drive, 5 Nov 2011
This drive runs at the same speed as my samsung HD103SJ drives which are universally acknowledged as excellent. The sata 6 spec and the 64mb cache make up for the slower 5900 spin speed and as yet I am very happy with this drive.
I should point out that I purchased before the floods in Thailand and paid £58 as opposed to the £149 being asked now, wait a few months if you can for production to restart and prices fall back.Seagate ST2000DL003 Barracuda Green 3.5-inch 2TB SATA 6 Gb/s Drive (64MB Buffer,5900RPM)

Now March 2013, no problems what so ever, great product.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good product, 8 Jun 2011
This does what it's suppose to. But I have windows 7 OS and it took a couple of mins to get the drive setup and partitioned, because it's a learning thing for me everytime I get a new drive I have to learn how to set it up.
This wasn't supplied with anything so make sure you have extra mounting screws and a cable to connect it.
The packaging from amazon could be better. I read a few reviews of dead drives.
Good product, I'm happy with it, and would buy again.

4.0 out of 5 stars All good but wish they were a bit quiter, 4 July 2011
A. Begaj (UK) - See all my reviews
I got 2 of these about a month ago for my new QNAP TS-210 at home and they work as expected. I was hopping they will be really quiet but they are not. When I work at night I can hear them loud and clear which is a bit disappointing.

3.0 out of 5 stars Don't buy with Synology DS411j, 13 Dec 2011

After building a disk group consisting of 4 disks in RAID5, and copying over 4TB of data, It decided within a few hours to drop disk 3. So, rebooted the DS411J, and rebuilt the drive, which had now come back online. Several hours later, while it was still crunching through thousands of image thumbnails it decided to drop disk 4. These are all loaded with the CC3C firmware from new. As a large part of my files are mission critical for my business, and I have completely lost confidence in this configuration, I have decided to return them all in favour of a more traditional non-green drive.

Ironically, I ask myself how many times I've warned people "buy cheap, buy twice"... Doh!

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect in ReadyNAS Duo, 25 Aug 2011
I bought 2 of these (1 from another vendor in the hope of getting discs from different batches) to install in a Netgear ReadyNAS Duo. Configured as a RAID1 mirror they work fine.

5.0 out of 5 stars Recommended, 11 Aug 2011
With storage space becoming under increasing demand, drives of this capacity are becoming ever more necessary. This 2TB drive replaced a 750GB Western Digital SATAII as the desktop's main storage drive.

The drive came very quickly - it was on my doorstep in 2 days. It came moderately packaged in a large box with inflatable packing bags. The drive itself was just in a plastic clamshell. Could have been better, but the device wasn't any worse off for it.

Installation as always with internal drives, was only made more difficult by having to mount it in a drive cage.

Copying the data was the most difficult part. Lots of drive cloning software is incompatible with modern large capacity drives, especially the new 4K standard. In the end I used GParted, a powerful, open source, Linux-based partition editor that I ran off a flash drive (it's a good GUI so pretty simple to use). Once the data was copied (around 18 hours later!) I booted Windows (I run XP Pro) on my desktop and changed the drive letter in the Administrative Tools.

My only major problem was uTorrent temporarily lost all its targets as the apprpriate drive letter wasn't assigned when the program started. That would have been avoided had I booted into Safe Mode to change the drive letter.

The drive itself is staggeringly quick compared to the WD it replaced. The motherboard is SATAII so can't take full advantage of the high transfer rates theis drive claims. That doesn't mean the other functions of the drive aren't used. Seek times are awesome and the data is very readily available, especially with large files (that might be the 4K sector size). I use Diskeeper drive management software to keep my drives defragmented and there doesn't seem to have been any drop-off in performance in the months I've been running the Seagate.

All in all, highly recommended product form a recommended seller.

5.0 out of 5 stars Seagate ST2000DL003 - Fitted to NAS device, 4 Sep 2011
Fitted two of these disks in a Synology NAS device. They work perfectly and seem pretty quick.

A good solid bit of kit and the price for branded 2Tb of storage is very good.