5.0 out of 5 stars simply delightful, 7 Jan 2011
Frank Bierbrauer (Manchester, Lancashire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Halcyon River Diaries - Series 1 [DVD] [2010] (DVD)
I must admit that this TV series produced by the BBC is an all time high for them. It has within it so much that makes this show one of the best I've ever watched on TV. It is a documentary by the nature photographer Charlie Hamilton James and his wife Phillipa Forester as well as their children. It takes as material the simplest possible case of the animals that live near the river of the family home. Through use of night vision camera equipment and careful observation it captures the lives of the animals such as the kingfisher and even river otters. One of the best aspects is how Charlie involves his children in the process and how they are taught about the animals while watching them. It is simply delightful and so very human.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must buy for those who enjoy wild life., 20 Jan 2011
This review is from: Halcyon River Diaries - Series 1 [DVD] [2010] (DVD)
This series is one of the best wildlife programs I have watched, I am interested in photography and wildlife and found the programme very educational and a delight to watch. I have especially enjoyed watching Charlie Hamilton's filming of the Kingfishers/ Otters and Dippers and Phillipa Foresters work with plants and wild flowers. When I first watched the show on the BBC last year it gave me so much inspiration to carry on with my photography and to be patient and learn the basic fieldcraft skills. I'm Hoping to put those skills to good use this year and to continue learning. Thank you to Charlie and his family for this amazing programme and please continue to make more & please bring out a DVD of the original filming of the kingfisher you did for the BBC in 2004.

If you like this you must buy the book and charlies book on kingfishers whick has some stunning photos.Kingfisher: Tales from the Halcyon River

5.0 out of 5 stars Enjoy our Wonderful Nature, 15 Nov 2011
This review is from: Halcyon River Diaries - Series 1 [DVD] [2010] (DVD)
This DVD is a must for all who love wildlife programmes. Being part of Charlie & Phillipas' family adventure is a priviledge, they are a joy to be with on their conservation dreams & the fun element brought in to encourage their children to enjoy nature. A really fantastic DVD which will give you hours of pleaseure - again & again!

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply Superb, 29 Jan 2012
clarets60 (fareham, hampshire, ENGLAND) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Halcyon River Diaries - Series 1 [DVD] [2010] (DVD)
Well this series was just simply superb,it was well directed and very informing,captivating and above all worth every penny,it's got to be the best value for money item that i have ever purchased apart from the couples books that they have also released in the past.The video is just perfect for the whole family to enjoy, theres something for everyone to absorbe for the children it really does inspire and i'm sure all children will learn loads from watching this. The Photography in this video is also so inspiring to any amature photographer and Charlie Hamilton james shows the enthusiasum for what he trys to show and he draws you into his world of his feelings for nature and his love for all creatures great and small,I've just got to give this 10/10 for it's overall enjoyment, and a big big thank you to Philliper forrester and Charlie Hamilton James, we desperately need more people like this to try to instill a better way of life for us all but more importantly for our future.
Thank you Charlie and Philliper for bringing my Wife and myself into your home and sharing all the
other ways of enjoying life,What an experience it's been,I don't know if you know how good you are? but I really hope this review helps you understand a little better the effect you have on some people, once again a big thank you from myself Pete and my Wife Marilyn.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 21 Oct 2013
This review is from: Halcyon River Diaries - Series 1 [DVD] [2010] (DVD)
I saw the TV series and so decided to get the DVD. It is wonderful.

I'm not going to try and persuade you to buy it, as if you are looking here you probably know about the series, Charlie and Phillipa anyway.

I bought it, and I am very happy with it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 19 Jun 2013
Mr. John Mcknight (N. Ireland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Halcyon River Diaries - Series 1 [DVD] [2010] (DVD)
I watched this on tv and got the DVD .it gets better each time I see it. The quality of the filming is superb.

5.0 out of 5 stars A nicely put together enjoyable film., 28 Feb 2013
This review is from: Halcyon River Diaries - Series 1 [DVD] [2010] (DVD)
I'm into wild life films, & this one was right up my street. The insight to life along a stretch of river, with kingfishers, otters, made this a must have dvd.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect family viewing, 24 Feb 2013
This review is from: Halcyon River Diaries - Series 1 [DVD] [2010] (DVD)
This is fabulous, beautifully filmed by a man who knows his subjects so well. My son loves nature, and watched this with me with far more attention than any film he has ever watched. The 3 boys really have an idyllic childhood, and as a parent with 2 nature mad children, I really wish I lived by a river too. My only grumble was that Charlie H J said "little bas....s" about rounding up some ducks the family bought. Luckily my son never heard that but I now have to be ready to mute it at that point ! All in all, a very lovely dvd to watch, of a very nice family.

5.0 out of 5 stars We loved this!, 6 Nov 2012
Roo B (New Zealand) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Halcyon River Diaries - Series 1 [DVD] [2010] (DVD)
I purchased this on impulse and was not disappointed, we live in New Zealand now but come from the West Country and this wonderful 'diary' entertained and enthralled us and reminded us of 'home'. Hope there will be a series 2 soon.....

5.0 out of 5 stars summer days, 1 April 2011
This review is from: Halcyon River Diaries - Series 1 [DVD] [2010] (DVD)
Love the Natural world.want to involve the whole family,then this is it.
Its right outside your door.but for now settle down and with the remote held firmly push play,to a time when days seemed to last forever.The family in question live on the banks of The Halcyon river,where a wide variety of inhabitants everyday lives are explored with wonder thru the eyes of their children. Must see.Educational,wonderment,wellies not included..... Now where's that remote!

Halcyon River Diaries - Series 1 [DVD] [2010]
Halcyon River Diaries - Series 1 [DVD] [2010] by Richard Taylor-Jones (DVD - 2011)
Used & New from: 44.99