4.0 out of 5 stars I enjoy Giles Coren's acerbic wit.
Sadly, although only 72% read, I cannot get back to the book! Somehow it has left just the title on my Kindle. Perhaps I will have to give up on the remaining chapters, which is sad.
Published 15 months ago by HyacinthBucket2

3.0 out of 5 stars Funny Book - Sort of
I like Giles Coren's articlles in the Times but was a bit disappointed with the book. The odd funny comment but more of a moan than anything else. I was expecting some incisive wit but doesn't seem to come through (to me anyway).
Published on 30 Nov 2010 by Chef Geoff

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars Funny Book - Sort of, 30 Nov 2010

4.0 out of 5 stars I enjoy Giles Coren's acerbic wit., 31 Dec 2012
This review is from: Anger Management (for Beginners) (Kindle Edition)

3.0 out of 5 stars Too Obvious ?, 26 Jun 2012
tillybob (manchester england) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Anger Management (for Beginners) (Kindle Edition)
Like the author but it feels as though he has gone for obvious things to critisize.It is a long way between reading anything which might make you smile. Only read it a week or two ago and can't remember much about it to be honest.

2.0 out of 5 stars Doesn't do what it says on the tin, 12 July 2011
A book on managing your anger, perhaps. Or an account of the author's struggles to cope with his own. Or maybe it's a series of rants on topics that annoy the author. I kept hoping it was meant to be ironic, but even that wouldn't justify spending two and a half hours of listening time on this. Coren commits many of the sins he faults in other people, although he does finally admit he made a "complete arse" of himself once. He also mentions that he doesn't like editors amending his writing - so I suspect he'll need significant anger management techniques if he sees this review.
There is one saving aspect to this audio book: it should provoke some great discussions in a reading group. Ask the group to decide which chapter annoyed them most and sit back to watch the action.

5.0 out of 5 stars Mr Coren at his absolute best, 17 Jun 2010
Keith Etherington (Rochdale, UK) - See all my reviews
I had been thinking of having a tattoo until I read this, now I'm not so sure. His beautifully crafted criticisms of the ordinary and routine are superb. The chapter on cycle helmets is just brilliant... but sorry Giles I don't have the bottle to cycle without one or have the nerve to drive my car without wearing a seat belt.

I have just bought his novel Winkler and I'm hoping that will be as good.

1.0 out of 5 stars Narcissistic bore, 7 Jan 2011
I was regrettably bought this for Xmas. I got through about 30 pages and had enough. He's not without wit and as you can see where you're expected to laugh but nothing generates much more than a vague internal sigh. The whole angry man thing is terribly trite and I've seen it done better. It would be much funnier if he focussed on the impotence of his rage - but there's very little honest self-deprecation in it. Despite vaguely sending up his privileged life, the digs are all skin deep and he's still essentially attempting to paint himself as the big-man. The back-handed self-compliments, the implicit vanity and the self-obsession, especially of the first chapter, are all quite grating.
Fundamentally I've no empathy for the protagonist: the guy's a bit of a tit.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great opening paragraph, 9 May 2013
This is a highly entertaining book although it never quite lives up to the laugh out loud opening chapter! A quirky view on all aspect of life, Mr Coren writes what most other people are thinking but are too afraid to say ut loud. Easy to read and thoroughly entertaining - a great Father's day gift!!

2.0 out of 5 stars Not Great, 18 Feb 2013
Quite amusing to begin with but is pretty much of the same as you go through the book, would be fine on a long journey as is easy to put down and leave for a while not like those books you get riveted by and can't function till you get to the end.

4.0 out of 5 stars Life according to Mr Coren, 7 Aug 2010
I gave it four stars instead of five as I don't think this is anger management for the masses but for Mr Coren to obviously exorcise his demons by entertaining us with them. And that he does; I laughed out loud uncontrollably at times even if I agreed or disagreed. Perhaps he would add that to the book "people laughing out loud in public!!"
I wish I had the nerve to express in the same way but it was a good hoot reading Giles doing it for me
I am going to buy more of his books

1.0 out of 5 stars not funny enough, 23 Mar 2011
Pity about that as it could have been brilliant (the subject matter is) . Giles is just too up his own backside to convey the humour and self deprecation that is needed to make us laugh with him .Abandoned the book half way through, sorry Giles.I so like your columns too.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›
ARRAY(0xb46d93a8)

Anger Management (for Beginners)
3.95