Format: Blu-rayChange

on 30 May 2011
For all of you who -- like me -- wondered what might be new in the so-called Platinum release of Fantasia 2000 (Blu-ray), after having seen a double-feature (Fantasia/ Fantasia 2000) on Blu-ray at the end of 2010 (see Fantasia/Fantasia 2000 [Blu-ray]), here's the answer:
NOTHING IS NEW!
Actually, this release is only the commercial way of selling the SAME copy included in the double-feature box, only separately (even the bar-code on the stand-alone box is the same as the one of the Blu-ray of the same name included in the double-feature box!)

How do I know? Quite simply, as I could not find any satisfactory documentation, I simply purchased BOTH versions, and ... compared them!
(don't worry: I did return the superfluous, stand-alone edition)

So, unless you really want ONLY the Fantasia 2000 on Blu-ray, you'll be better advised to go for the double-feature box (see link above), as -- for [almost] the same price -- it offers BOTH Fantasia (1940) AND Fantasia 2000 (same version)!

Hope this helps :)

Enjoy!

P.S.: NOWHERE on ANY of the Boxes does the "Platinum" qualifier appear - ONLY "Special Edition"; so I am still as puzzled as any of you as to how Platinum found its way at Amazon's (and some others) listings ...
review image
0Comment21 of 22 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
The original Fantasia has long been one of my favourite films so I decided to watch the new version. I didn't find it as good as the original but then that was - and is - unique so I wasn't too surprised. It was worth watching and I found myself totally lost in the music and imagery at times. I especially liked the Gershwin - Rhapsody in Blue which was definitely up to the standard set by the original Fantasia. The whale sequence was good too as was the finale - Stravinsky's Firebird.

The film is definitely worth watching and I think if it was the first one I'd seen I would have ben really impressed but in my opinion you still can't beat the original Fantasia.
on 30 November 2000
Although no home viewing can compare to the sheer awe-inspiring size of the original IMAX showings of Fantasia 2000, owning it will allow you to discover new facets to the film each time you play it. And you WILL find yourself playing it over and over. The only downside is that this will no doubt find itself wrongly classified under "kids cartoons" in many places; this is not what it is. This is a sumptuous feast for not only the eyes but also the ears, as the clarity of the digital sound easily transports you right into the centre of the orchestra. The animation in all it's differing styles both digital and traditional is inspired. While I am a cost-conscious consumer and for me the DVD represented a high "per minute" cost, this is the first DVD I have bought or rented where I have felt truly satisfied with every single penny spent. Just buy it, put it in the tray, crank the volume up, press play and let the magic begin. While every scene has its merits, my personal three favourites were "Pines of Rome", "Rhapsody in Blue", and the best and last piece, the magnificent "Firebird Suite". If you think I'm being a little over the top, watch this film, and then you will understand.
on 31 December 2014
This Disney vehicle may not be to everyone's taste, but if you like classical music and the conducting craft of Stokowsky, it's a must. I particularly liked the Mickey Mouse version of "The Sorcerer's Apprentice". I just hope that it reaches out to today's youngsters as much as Prokofiev's "Peter and the Wolf".
on 28 October 2000
When word came out that Disney will be updating a film classic, I was euthastic about it and my wonderment was put to rest. The repotoire chosen was just simply amazing and the selection featured ranges from simplistic to breathtaking imagery. Music wise, we are served with composition from the romantic era right to modern renaissance, resulting in a perfect blend of superb animation and wonderful music. I am a fan of the original and when I saw the new Fantasia, I was totally blown away. Animation was never been so wonderful and cleverly crafted and neatly interwoven with great music, resulting a magnificient display of sight and sound. Like the original, Disney's animators conjures little short stories to compliment the music and some just abstact images. It is this abstract segment that opens this Fantasia programme and uses Beethoven's 'Fifth Symphony'. Some stories literally soars with the music especially 'The Pines of Rome' by Reshigi which incidently is the second piece and 'The Firebird Suite' by Stravinsky segments which closes the programme. Hightlight of of the film is Gershwin's 'Rhapsody In Blue'and it is here where simplicity is used to portray life in New York. Shostokovich's 'Piano Concerto' was used in a Hans Christian Anderson fable, 'The Steadfast Tin Soldier', which uses CGI to tell the story and it is brilliant. Then we have a fanciful trip with Saint-Seans's 'Carnival Of the Animals' segment which focuses on some flamingoes and a yo-yo. As a tribute to the original Fantasia, we have 'The Sorceror's Apprentice' to cherish and it is still a joy to watch even after all this while. Elgar's 'Pomp and Circumstances Marches' was superbly use as a vechicle for Disney's under-rated character, Donald Duck to have his turn in the limelight. This segment uses the story of Noah's Ark and it is rather delightful. Fantasia 2000 closes with 'The Firebird Suite' and I have to admit this is the best segment to me. The animation was ingenious and the story was uplifting. Unlike its predecessor. Fantasia 2000 is presented in IMAX and it boast a array of artists to co-host the entire preceedings. The music performed by The Chicago Symphony Orhestra conducted by James Levine certainly does justice to these well beloved music treasures. Even on video it is still a gem to behold. A thumbs up for the Disney folks. Fantasia 2000 is another milestone for the world of animation and a great salute for classical music. A MASTERPIECE!
on 9 October 2000
I saw Fantasia 2000 when it wasa first released on the huge IMAX screens only. This is a visually stunning film, perfectly animated (Well what do you expect from the masters at Disney ?) and extremely imaginative. If you liked the original you will love this. If not, well leave your predudices behind, let go and enjoy the ride. The film has an almost hypnotic nature that takes you on a journey like no other. Still not certain ?. Well let the wonderful flying Whales in the opening sequence convince you.
Go on. You know you want to.
on 9 November 2000
I saw this film at the premire in london and fell in love with it from the first frame. its was like watching the history of amimation in one film and i loved the storys each bit told. I can 't wait to cry again at the greatness. I think this is the best disney film ever.
on 30 June 2009
The original Fantasia was a wild, ragged mixture of the conventional and the truly experimental, showing how in the 1940s it was still possible to reach for high culture and the crowd at the same time: the audience for cinema had not yet catalysed out into a whole series of niche markets, as it rather tragically has now. At the popular end, the Sorcerer's Apprentice and Dance of the Hours sequences were light children's fare; the Pastoral Symphony sequence occasionally reached past kitsch to magical beauty, as Disney has always managed to do at odd moments; the Rite of Spring sequence daringly though rather distastefully incorporated dark social-Darwinist ideas about nature red in tooth and claw; the opening Bach slot was abstract in a way you would have expected to be audience suicide, while the Night on Bare Mountain sequence is so disturbing I would never have let my under-12 children watch it.
Fantasia 2000 is much more homogenous and much more relentlessly upbeat. We are selling to a demographic now: middle-class parents who want to ram culture down their children's throats. And so, although much of it is truly lovely, there is a slight feeling of sadness at how our civilisation has squandered its opportunity to make the best culture available to all.
The only really duff sequence is the opening Beethoven's Fifth Symphony number: this nonentity of a story about the rescue of a pink butterfly is woefully inadequate to the music. Don't be put off, watch the rest: the Pines of Rome sequence, where whales take off into space, is perhaps the most technically brilliant; the New York-based Rhapsody in Blue is exhilarating; best of the lot is the final Firebird sequence about a water-nymph who gets caught in a volcano, where the triumphant ending is bound to bring tears to your eyes: it works for me every time I watch it. (My editor says Rhapsody in Blue is the best, and on second thoughts I'm inclined to agree with him.)
The music is cleverly cut and pasted, to the extent that I don't think anyone who didn't already know the pieces well would notice the cuts. What I did not like, for the most part, were the celebrity introductions to the musical numbers. They reeked of the mortal fear every artist now feels of seeming highbrow, elitist or inaccessible: instead of educating about the music, they trivialised it. The low point was when some woman was talking about animations that hadn't made it to the final cut of the original Fantasia: one being a visualisation of The Ride of the Valkyries whose loss was surely a tragedy. We saw one or two seconds of priceless footage while this ignorant hag jeered, 'Here they come - and there they go!' For goodness's sake, if you can't believe in classical music even while you're trying to sell a DVD's worth of the stuff, why don't you just save yourself the trouble?
on 16 November 2001
Despite the negative comments about this, I feel it does the term "A Brand New Masterpiece" justice. The animation is breathtaking and the music accompanies it well. The only criticism I have of it is that 71 minutes is not long enough!
on 3 December 2000
Fantasia (the original) is one of my all time favourite films. I took my mother to the premier of this film hoping it would be even half as good as the original. All my expectations were met.
Disney have made use of the most up-to-date techniques to capture music, colour and light. It has humour, fantasy and such wonderful music.
Not a 'story' video, but one for all the family all the same. Turn the lights out and the music up, then just enjoy the animation.