5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent out of this world experience
When word came out that Disney will be updating a film classic, I was euthastic about it and my wonderment was put to rest. The repotoire chosen was just simply amazing and the selection featured ranges from simplistic to breathtaking imagery. Music wise, we are served with composition from the romantic era right to modern renaissance, resulting in a perfect blend of...
Published on 28 Oct 2000

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing at 74 minutes
The original movie is a staggering 125 minutes of sheer brilliance. The new Fantasia 2000 at 74 minutes (including inanities from American 'stars' and a repeat of The Magicians Apprentice) rates 4 stars for the content but only 2 stars for the overall package.
Published on 2 Jan 2001

4.0 out of 5 stars Reply to the Amazon review, 29 Dec 2010
Cheshire Dave (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Fantasia 2000 - Special Edition [Blu-ray] [Region Free] (Blu-ray)
I'm reviewing the Fantasia 2000 Blu-Ray from the Fantasia 1 / Fantasia 2000 double-pack released late 2010. Called 'Special Edition' on the inner box. Start Googling if you need to know the difference between Platinum, Diamond and Special - it's totally confusing. probably best watched in the dark, with sound turned up to 11. As I watched at 5am, sound was turned down to 2, and I don't have any Dolby stuff yet.

Here are some extracts from the Amazon review, with my own feedback / opinion, and from an adult's point of view... I hope it helps a little bit to describe each section.

"Fantasia 2000... still more often than not has the feel of walking in its predecessor's footsteps as opposed to creating its own path..."
Not a problem. I liked the way that (I think) the new version stylistically is true to the original version. I'm no animation expert, but e.g. the way water and waves are drawn still, to me, looks like hand-drawn water and waves from Pinnochio, for example.

"A family of whales swimming and soaring to Respighi's The Pines of Rome is magical to watch, but ends all too soon..." About the right length for me. Good sequence, lots of, if not all, computer animation.

"A forest sprite's dance of life, death, and rebirth to Stravinsky's The Rite of Spring too clearly echoes the original Fantasia's Night on Bald Mountain/Ave Maria sequence."
It's not Stravinsky's The Rite of Spring, as used in Fantasia 1; it's the last couple of sections of Stravinsky's Firebird Suite edited down into 5 or 6 minutes.
Don't worry about the "echoes", it's the last sequence and the best one, although I think it's the Firebird (Stravinsky) music swaying me. Fantastic. The music's been moved around a bit to fit the storyline. I reckon that's happened elsewhere, but I don't know the other music well enough to be sure. Style - stag from Bambi, snow, pine forests, realism mixed with fantasy in style, and there is an all-consuming firebird character (formed from the lava of a volcano) that is a force of evil and destruction, unlike the original ballet. Fittinf finale.

"Hans Christian Andersen's "The Steadfast Tin Soldier" is a perfect narrative set to Shostakovich's Piano Concerto No. 2..."
OK but not the best for me. Again, I think it's a music thing. Style - Nutcracker. Appropriate Beauty and The Beast's "2D with shading" to create 3D effects, but def not Toy Story style 3D. Dark attic rooms, toys, roaring flames, packs of black sewer rats with red eyes, and a good 'trip down the sewers' sequence which is like a short, midnight blue version of Aladdin's lava carpet ride.

"Donald Duck's guest appearance as the assistant to Noah (of ark fame) set to Elgar's Pomp and Circumstance marches is a welcome companion piece (though not an equal) to The Sorcerer's Apprentice, the one original Fantasia piece included here..."
OK but the prescence of the well-known characters spoils it a bit for me - probably trying to please the whole family and keep the kids interested. Again, Beauty and The Beast in animation style.
It annoyed me that the Mickey sequence from Fantasia 1 is reused verbatim.

"The high point of Fantasia 2000, though, is a fantastic day-in-the-life sequence of 1930s New York City set to Gershwin's Rhapsody in Blue and animated in the style of cartoonist Al Hirschfeld; it's a perfect melding of music, story, and animation..." Agree, except it outstayed it's welcome, for me. Felt like 15 minutes, but maybe it was less. Style - Al Hirschfield, strange colours (in a good way) - wafer-thin, fast-moving spikey lines that even my Blu-Ray player struggled to interpret in the busy, finely-drawn sections.

"The music is provided by the Chicago Symphony Orchestra... with negligible intros by Steve Martin, Bette Midler, Itzhak Perlman, James Earl Jones, and others. " Agree - never liked the original 'interruptions', and don't like these either, although they try to move the presenters round a bit more on screen, to stop you getting bored.

Extras - very long docu about the similarites between S Dali and W Disney. Gets more interesting towards the end. Then a short collaboration (SD and WD) animation called 'Destino', newly computer animated in 2003 from loads of sketches found in the vaults. Like a typical (you know which style I mean) Dali painting come to life.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb!!, 5 Aug 2002
E. A. Redfearn "eredfearn2" (Middlesbrough) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Fantasia 2000 [DVD] (DVD)
The original Fantasia of course was released in 1940 and it is still popular today as it was then. This new version is superb for a number of reasons. Picture and sound, courtesy of Digital Technology are quite simply out of this world. As for the music, its a bit of a mixed bag to be quite honest. The best sequence is the Whales to Resphigi's Pines of Rome, followed by the Toy Soldier and the Dancer, to Shostakovich's 2 Piano Concerto. However, George Gerswin's Rhapsody In Blue is certainly one of the highlights of the film. If you love classical music, and like to see how this music fares to animation, then you have to see this. Go out and buy, you will not be disappointed.

1.0 out of 5 stars totally unimpressed, 13 April 2005
By A Customer
This review is from: Fantasia 2000 [DVD] (DVD)
i loved the original fantasia - despite being 20 now, it still has its place on my video shelf. but this had nothing at all on the original - the music scenes were much shorter, and in between there was just a load of minor celebrities who i'm not interested in at all. to be honest, didn't even know who some were, just that they were irritating, and took up far too much time. in the oroginal, the point was the music, and you'd hear the whole thing - not tiny sections from a piece. in this one, was there a point? apart from cashing in from the fans of the original hoping to find something just as good. utterly disappointed.
in conclusion, not enough music, not enough originality, and too much celebrity posing.

1.0 out of 5 stars Very Disappointing, 1 Feb 2002
This review is from: Fantasia 2000 [DVD] (DVD)
I have been a great fan of Fantasia since I first saw it many years ago, and I never fail to be enchanted when I watch it. The original was so imaginative, and the animators' interpretation of the music inspirational! Fantasia 2000 could, and should, have been so much better. Yet with all the modern computer animation technology at their disposal, the Disney team have failed to fire the imagination this time, and produced only a disjointed and bewildering display. To add insult to injury, they prop up this lame duck by presenting the magnificent "Sorcerer's Apprentice" in all it's original glory, which only serves to remind us how much better they did this so many years ago. I am a huge fan of Disney, because they have produced animated movies that will be forever the most Classic. But Fantasia 2000 has to be one of the most disappointing movie sequels I have ever seen.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not nearly as good as the original, 10 Jan 2001
This review is from: Fantasia 2000 [VHS] (VHS Tape)
I hoped my son would like this as much as I remembered liking the original. But we both found it dragged. Maybe because we viewed it on an ordinary tv instead of in a cinema, it did not have the impact of the original. Disappointing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 5 July 2014
very good

5.0 out of 5 stars Show me the hat!, 18 Jun 2014
When this movie was first advertised I was never sure if it was Fantasia that had just been rereleased for 2000 but later I found out it was a new film with its own classic number so I wanted to get it. I did eventually get it on with the original Fantasia (which I still own on video) on one of Disney's famous promotions as I was building up my complete classics collection on DVD (1-52) and these were essential additions.
I was sceptical about getting them as when I first Fantasia when I was younger I found it boring and fell asleep before the end as I mostly wanted to see it for the Sorcerers Apprentice because I was obsesssed with mickeys hat.
When I watched my DVD I was suprised how fantastic it was and could appreciate what a masterpiece the film is, so inevitably I watched Fantasia 2000 which is great also, I like the addition of Donald and Daisy. I found that this version is more appealing and engaging to younger children than the original.
I think Disney shot themselves in the foot when they released the original Fantasia by having Mickey on the posters and merchandise people thought it was a Mickey film that would appeal to kids and all the kids wanted to see was Mickey not the rest of animation to music, that is why my video was only watched once. In my opinion Fantasia is more for the adults and Fantasia 2000 is better for kids.
I am glad I eventually got both versions of the film as they are supberb, obviously the best bit in both films is the Sorcerers Apprentice, which everyone wants to see.
Lastly I would like to say that you should rate Fantasia 2000 as its own film and not compare it to Fantasia also this film is better than some more recent Disney classics on the market.

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed, 1 May 2014
Aunty Anne (Cumbria England) - See all my reviews
Loved the original Fantasia, which is still the best. Grandsons loved the whales, but for us, the only part worth watching was the Sorcerer's Apprentice with Mickey Mouse - copied from the original version. Disney lost the plot here - Nick Park could do MUCH better.

5.0 out of 5 stars all time classic sequel, 19 Feb 2014
Loved it. My son and daughter enjoyed it the whole way through. Only down fall was that it ended :)

3.0 out of 5 stars Not quite as fantastic, 5 Jan 2014
Eric Ian Steele (Manchester, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Fantasia 2000 [DVD] (DVD)
As a big fan of the original Fantasia, I was looking forward to this sequel. Sadly, it's not on a par with the earlier film. Part of the culprit is the annoying computerized animation, which is always visible and seems like a "cheat". The inclusion of the Sorceror's Apprentice also feels like filler. Did they really run out of ideas? Fortunately, the wonderful music saves the day from being a complete shambles. The opening is Beethoven's 5th symphony. A rousing piece of music. But the visuals fail to match, comprising mainly CGI shapes fluttering about. Second up is Respighi's "Pines of Rome", a beautiful piece of music and possibly the strongest segment, a nice bit of animation involving flying acrobatic whales. Then we have Gershwin's "Rhapsody in Blue". This time we go back to the style of those sketchy Chuck Jones cartoons (a bit like Jeremy McBoing-Boing, for those who remember). However I found this strangely unmoving, as though the writers were simply going through the motions. See what you think. The Steadfast Tin Soldier is next, to the strains of Shostakovich. This was a nice little story, but spoiled a bit by overused CGI, especially the ballerina. Elgar's "Pomp and Circumstance" is the theme music to a riff on Noah's ark starring Donald Duck. But, nicely animated as this was, the music didn't suit the piece and felt out of place. Finally, we had the "Firebird suite" by Stravinsky. The music made this segment, however the animation felt underdone. I couldn't help feeling that if this had been produced by Walt Disney, it would have been a lot more memorable. On the whole, it's a nice enough movie. But it doesn't feel like a "classic" the way Fantasia did. It's pleasant to watch, just don't expect Walt Disney at his best.

Fantasia 2000 - Special Edition [Blu-ray] [Region Free]