4.0 out of 5 stars Solid album
I bought this album purely on the basis of 'How to Save a Life', which was so powerfully used on an episode of Scrubs it made me cry. It was stuck in my head for ages, and I hoped that it would be released in the UK. Although it's now been played to death on the radio, I still love it, and can and have listened to it over and over again.

I bought the album...
Published on 27 Feb 2007 by anamatronic

3.0 out of 5 stars Meh.
A couple of interesting tracks on this album, the rest are all at varying degrees of tedium and repetition.

Published on 23 Sep 2008 by C. ASHTON

4.0 out of 5 stars Solid album, 27 Feb 2007
This review is from: How To Save A Life (Audio CD)

I bought the album just over a week ago and it hasn't left my car stereo since; it's perfect driving music, nice MOR pop rock, with intelligent lyrics and hand tapping rhythms (would be toe tapping but not a good idea in a car!).

The Fray are similar to bands like Semisonic and Snow Patrol, with a bit of Keane mixed in, so if you like them then give the album a try. There are a couple of duff tracks - Hundred and Vienna are so dull and dreary I always skip over them. In my opinion, the stand out tracks (apart from HTSAL) are Over My Head; an upbeat melodic pop/rock song, and Look After You, a flawless emotional rock ballad. In total, out of 13 songs, only 2 of them are no good, which compared to a lot of albums is pretty solid.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply marvellous, 27 April 2007
D. Rogers "Amazonian" (Oxford, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: How To Save A Life (Audio CD)
I'm sure a lot of people will be tempted to buy this album by the recent success of How To Save A Life, and if you like that song, then this album will be more of the same, plus some other things.

The album opens with She Is, which is one of several songs that The Fray manage to produce, which on first listening appears not bad, and every subsequent listen makes it sound better and better, and it is an excellent opening to the album. The next song is Over My Head, the second single by The Fray to be released in the UK, and is another magnificent song, and extremely catchy.

The third song is How To Save A Life, and if you haven't heard it, in my opinion it is another magnificent song, and one that I would tip for the Song of 2007, despite it only being April.

The next two songs are All At Once and Fall Away, which are of the same sort of style as Over My Head, and, although they may feel a little repetitive, I still love them both, and Fall Away is, in my opinion, the best song on the album, and one that should definitely be released as a third single.

The style begins to change at this point. Heaven Forbid is a calmer song, with a more pop-music-style influence, and Look After You is similar, and equally catchy. Hundred opens with a piano solo, and turns into an almost balladic piece.

The last four songs in the album, Vienna, Dead Wrong, Little House and Trust Me, and these are fairly unremarkable, although they still fit in with the general feel of the album.

Overall, I believe that this is one of the best album releases of the year so far, with some of the best pop-rock songs I have heard for a long time. I would definitely recommend it to anybody who enjoys this genre of music, and if you enjoyed How To Save A Life, this album will almost certainly provide you with at least one more favourite to add to your collection. Certainly one to buy.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, but too same-y, 27 April 2007
This review is from: How To Save A Life (Audio CD)
I bought this album after hearing 'How to save a life' used brilliantly on 'Scrubs' and I wasn't disappointed.

For the first 4-5 tracks I was thinking: "Wow, this is an amazing album," however, by the time the album finished I had stopped listening to it, all the tracks seemed to blend into one-another. It has some tracks of real quality in it such as 'She is', 'How to save a life', and 'All at once'.

I would recommend this album to most people, but beware that there is a possibilty that you may not always listen to every track, since you may get bored of the style after a while and want to change to something different.

If there was more variation in the style and tempo of the songs, then this would definately get 5 stars. As it is, it only merits a 4. Good, but not enough.

5.0 out of 5 stars An amazing and seemingly unknown album., 31 Aug 2006
Mr. N. W. Blackford (London, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: How to Save a Life (Audio CD)
I might be wrong, but it doesn't seem to me that nearly enough people have heard of The Fray. This first album consists of strong melodic harmonies consisting of strong guitar and piano talent.

The vocals have a faltless, husky quality. The lyrics are great and the album is consistent in its quality, there doesn't appear to be one filler track on this album. Their tunes, which are all unique, tend to be around the 4 minute mark which is also something I really like about this album. It feels like a lot of hard work went into it.

The tracks are upbeat, even when the tone of the tune might be a sad one. It means this CD is something you can put on in the background of a social situation, something you could study to, relax to or even listen to while you're on the move.

It's definately worth having a listen to this album. You'll find the tunes are incredibly addictive. I can't praise this album enough, it feels like it's been ages since I found an album I've loved start to finish. Well done guys!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars breath taking, 11 Jan 2008
This review is from: How To Save A Life (Audio CD)
Whenever I get a new album I make the mistake of only sticking to the songs I know and listen to them over and over again. So after listening to 'how to save a life' a trillion times I thought it was about time I checked out the rest of the album. I should have done it sooner, it's brilliant and is now one of my fave albums to listen to in the car. 'She is', 'Over my head' and 'All at once' are pure genius, and of course I still love 'how to save a life'. Really impressed by this album.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best album I've heard in a long time..., 6 Aug 2007
This review is from: How To Save A Life (Audio CD)
I bought this album purely because of the reviews it had been given and also because I had heard "How to Save a Life" and to me, it was One Tree Hill music. It is the best album I have bought in a long while. Every song has something special about it, and while The Fray don't really vary their style a lot.. why should they? If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Highlghts for me are "Cable Car" and "Hundred". Don't hesitate - BUY THIS ALBUM!!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars More variation would be nice, 29 July 2007
S. Jones (Devon, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: How To Save A Life (Audio CD)
With the title track on permanent radio rotation, and a good live show supporting The Feeling, I took a punt on this album.

It starts brightly, with the radio-friendly piano-driven mid-tempo (enough hyphens) AOR making a good impression. About two thirds of the way through, though, it does tend to merge into a pleasant background listening beige.

At the moment it just about earns 4 stars from me but in a year's time it'll more likely be a 3, and they'll still be playing the title track on commercial radio.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing and inspiring music....., 5 Feb 2007
This review is from: How to Save a Life (Audio CD)
Its about time the fray are getting the recognition they deserve, i first began listening to the album months ago after hearing a song of theirs on season 3 of 'one tree hill'. After hearing 'How To Save A Life' i wasnt dissapointed with the rest of the album, emotional well written music, with my personal favourite song 'look after you' as the album highlight. A must buy!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars The Fray...Legend!, 21 Jan 2007
Jim (Portsmouth, Hampshire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: How to Save a Life (Audio CD)
I first heard of The Fray because the song "How To Save A Life" was during a scene on Scrubs. I bought the album and it is now the most played album in my collection. The album is amazing, it is full of brilliant songs from start to finish with the 2 hit songs off the album being "How To Save A Life" & "Cable Car"!

I would recommend this album to pretty much everyone, but if your into Something Corporate and other such alike this album is essential. The album is like Soft Rock with a piano, much like Jack's Mannequin.

3.0 out of 5 stars Meh., 23 Sep 2008
C. ASHTON - See all my reviews
This review is from: How To Save A Life (Audio CD)

None of the lyrics, in any of the songs, are remotely clear- it's like listening to a drunk badger trying to blow its nose. Next time you listen, you'll know what I mean. At first its entertaining, but after a few songs you'll be looking for the "Off" switch. If you can't find the "Off" switch, you'll be looking for the suicide button.

There's obviously some talent in this group, nevertheless. 'How To Save a Life' and various other Radio 1 fodder actually please the ears. I recommend buying your favourite singles instead of the album. Done.

How To Save A Life